Fair day rate for a plumber

Options

Comments

• ewcs
    ewcs Posts: 112 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Is there a point to bumping this thread?

Cheers
    Some people seem to think so and thats their choice is it not?, you have posted 2 responces, your first post was 5 months ago.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    ewcs wrote: »
    Some people seem to think so and thats their choice is it not?
    Of course it is and its also my choice when and where to post. It was just a simple question - which wasn't even directed at you.
    you have posted 2 responces, your first post was 5 months ago.
    No I haven't - I have posted two responses on this thread and what does it matter when the first one was?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    ewcs wrote: »
    Some people seem to think so and thats their choice is it not?, you have posted 2 responces, your first post was 5 months ago.
    Well said :T
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • keystone
    Options
    Well said :T
    Which bit?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • new_home_owner_3
    new_home_owner_3 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Options
    it makes me laugh 40 pound a hour for a plumber

No wonder people in the constuction industry are struggling the average wage in the uk is 25000 pound a year.

A plumbers job is not exactly rocket scientist stuff so how can they even dream about charging 40 per hour.

i suspect plumbers who charge this much are not getting much work.

I have mates now who have site managed for £7.50 a hour and people are fighting over these jobs.

Im planning on having a extension built, and i here the price 1000 psm, which i find astonishing too, in peak times when people have to turn work down, but these people need to be realistic.

why should someone who earns between 10 and 15 pound per hour pay someone 40 pound per hour when the job market is flooded with plumbers.
  • keystone
    Options
    it makes me laugh 40 pound a hour for a plumber..........
    What a daft and absurd post. You obviously have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the costs of running your own business including paying your taxes all of which have to be passed onto the customer. The plumber (or any tradesman) won't be trousering anything like £ 40 an hour.
    A plumbers job is not exactly rocket scientist stuff so how can they even dream about charging 40 per hour.
    You are not paying for his time on its own - you are paying for his knowledge and experience. What qualifications do you have to make the silly rocket science analogy?
    I have mates now who have site managed for £7.50 a hour and people are fighting over these jobs.
    Bet they aren't self employed.
    Im planning on having a extension built, and i here the price 1000 psm, which i find astonishing too, in peak times when people have to turn work down, but these people need to be realistic.
    No it's you who needs to be realistic.

Cheers
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    do not confuse, as most people do , what the hourly rate or cost of any work as to what the tradesman will actually put in his pocket ,
    i would have thought that out of the £40 , by the time all overhead he probably only see £25 of it
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    nickj wrote: »
    do not confuse, as most people do , what the hourly rate or cost of any work as to what the tradesman will actually put in his pocket ,
    i would have thought that out of the £40 , by the time all overhead he probably only see £25 of it

25 pound a hours still a lot, what does the average man earn a hour?

gone are the days of plumbers getting 40 pound a hour, and if they do they are very lucky indeed.

i wouldnt pay a plumber 40 pound a hour, if people are willing to pay this then let them carry on.
  • new_home_owner_3
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    What a daft and absurd post. You obviously have absolutely no idea whatsoever about the costs of running your own business including paying your taxes all of which have to be passed onto the customer. The plumber (or any tradesman) won't be trousering anything like £ 40 an hour.

You are not paying for his time on its own - you are paying for his knowledge and experience. What qualifications do you have to make the silly rocket science analogy?

Bet they aren't self employed.

No it's you who needs to be realistic.

Cheers

i speak with my feet and no one would or will be getting 40 pound a hour to do any work around my house.

maybe when theres a shortage of tradespeople, but i think, me and you know theres a !!!!!! load around scratching for work.

Ill let you know how i get on with my extension.

theres greed and just plain greedy some of you people think you should get footballers wages to bend a few pipes, you need to get real.
  • keystone
    Options
    You are either extremely naive or extremely stupid and I genuinely hope its the former.

Let us know how you get on with your DIY extension because nobody will want the work at the sort of prices you think you should be paying.

Footballers wages to bend a few pipes? Don't make me laugh! If you think that footballers get by on £ 40 an hour and if you think that plumbing is only about bending a few pipes then you are quite out of your box and there's you telling me to get real! :rotfl::rotfl:

All solely in my opinion, of course. :D

Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure