We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Threatened at local post Office- for taking children! (sorry long)

Options
124»

Comments

• taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Being jumped in the queue has nothing to do with this situation. If the queue had been naturally long that day anyway, the OP would have had to wait regardless. Also I can't imagine the postofficer 'loosing it' for no apparent reason. If the mother (OP) reacts like this to what I would call justified retribution, then I wouldn't be surprised that the kids were attention seeking prima donnas also.

Maybe now after being 'threatened', these children will think twice about repeating their unacceptable behaviour in an adult arena. There's a time and a place for everything, and a postoffice is not a playground. Kids aren't given boundaries anymore - because the parents are afraid of upsetting their little darlings.

Note how nearly everyone in this thread with kids has said something to the effect 'My little angel is always well behaved, but once has he......' Yeah right. Who owns the ones that make public outings a slalom and audio nightmare?
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Dammam
    Dammam Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    I'm beginning to wonder whether there are a lot of intollerant people around, or just lots of perfect people around. Maybe there are lots of intollerant people who think they are perfect?
    Some have stated that we are only getting one side of the story here. That's a fair point, but hardly the fault of the OP. The boss is not "customer facing" (don't you just love this newspeak? Orwell may well have been right). The "customer facing" part of the operation - the counter staff, have been found wanting.

Some people obviously have a problem with other peoples children, fair enough - why not raise your own vent thread and get it off your chest. Wig, 20p to call someone who cares - if you don't care, then don't waste your own time in posting. Have you ever thought of working for the post office?
  • taxi97w
    taxi97w Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dammam wrote:
    I'm beginning to wonder whether there are a lot of intollerant people around, or just lots of perfect people around. Maybe there are lots of intollerant people who think they are perfect?
    Some have stated that we are only getting one side of the story here. That's a fair point, but hardly the fault of the OP. The boss is not "customer facing" (don't you just love this newspeak? Orwell may well have been right). The "customer facing" part of the operation - the counter staff, have been found wanting.

No they are customer facing and no they've not been found wanting. They've just had enough of children running riot!
    more dollar$ than sense
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree Dammamm, it's a shame that people have to spoil a thread like this.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    taxi97w wrote:
    No they are customer facing and no they've not been found wanting. They've just had enough of children running riot!
    You have no basis for your opinion.

I find these posts offensive to people with young children.

Thank God that I won't run into daveboy when I go scrounging, moaning, with kids or even just to buy some stamps into the post office.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    taxi97w wrote:
    Note how nearly everyone in this thread with kids has said something to the effect 'My little angel is always well behaved, but once has he......'
    Not me. I'm the first to put my hand up and say that my kids are the same as any other kids and that means that some of the time they will be naughty and get on other peoples nerves.

The problem with this thread are that there are too many people on here without kids who really havn't got a damn clue what they are talking about and have no place in this discussion anyway.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • madfrenchgirl
    Options
    oh this is getting way out of proportion... the OP said the post office guy was rude, and true he was, you dont ban people from a post office like that. First you issue a warning type "do you mind telling your children to calm down?".

When i worked at Morrisons' we were not allowed to tell people with kids to go outside or ban anyone or not even take action against a shoplifter... as for noisy kids, well i dont mind babies crying, or kiddies crying when they are lost, etc... not even the "mummy can i have that"... what I do mind is when the kids are starting an argument with the mom callingher a !!!!! and starting to disappear and run amock when they are threatened with corporal punishment (shuddup or i'll smackya). Anyway, in the most awful cases, it was other customers addressing the parents and asking them to take the kid outside.

In the case of the OP, I would say that as long as the kids were not having a tantrum of the type i have described above and no one in the queue felt like telling her off for her kids' behaviour, I dont see any reason why the boss had to address her this way, not straight away at least.

And I would say that this thread is not necessarilly a contest nor a playground to launch the debate of "Kids are annoying, if I was a parent I would do that" "Shuddup! You are not a parent yet so you cant tell me how to raise them"...

Makes you wonder who the grown-ups are sometimes...
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • catherineblack
    Options
    Fran wrote:
    You have no basis for your opinion.

I find these posts offensive to people with young children.

Thank God that I won't run into daveboy when I go scrounging, moaning, with kids or even just to buy some stamps into the post office.

Too right Fran, this post has really gone off the main topic. No matter how annoyed the post office worker was, he has no right to shout at a customer.
    I don't have children and won't deny that sometimes I get irritated at children taking tantrums or behaving badly, but I try not to judge their parents - hey, we all have bad days. I can't believe how intolerent people are - kids have tantrums, accept it!
    As for the negative comments about people in the post office collecting benefits - another example of the unfair judging of people.
    Anyhoo, let's get back to the original complaint!
    Are we still waiting to sing as hummingbirds?
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    daveboy wrote:
    Confirmation of what my view of the Post Office is.

1) Full of benefit scroungers, or
    2) Pensioners who moan they have nothing to live on when it's their own fault, or
    3) Women with children they can't control

There are two things keeping Post Offices open. Benefits and eBay.

QUOTE] if your going to quote stupid comments get it right most of the benefit scroungers you say go to the post office dont.. like pensions they now have the option of getting there money into there banks.. and not all people on benefits are scroungers.. but thats another argument..

i can control my daughter most of the time but like any person be it adult or child if they want to throw a strop not a lot will stop them.. have seen many a adult in the bank or doctors or other places throwing a strop because they have been there to long and its normally adults who cause these queues that the kids get fed up in.. stop having a go at the kids they all have a bad day but so do the adults me included and i can scream and shout with the best of them..
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    Options
    ***Board Guide Note***

The OP has been given sensible advice on what she could do, should she choose to take this matter further. Personally, I see no reason in leaving this thread open any longer as the original topic has become lost and the thread seems to have veered off into a discussion over child rearing. However, I will refer it to the Forum Team for their consideration.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family