Threatened at local post Office- for taking children! (sorry long)

Options
I am soo upset and angry with the way my complaint has been dealt with by the Post Office customer care.

I went to the post office with my 2 year old to post 6 ebay parcels, before picking my little boy up from school the post office person asked me to leave them until the younger guy (who somehow knows how to use the computer and this once does'nt) returns from his lunch.

I left the parcel picked up my little boy and returned, whilst in the queue the younger guy began dealing with a friend who had not queued and I was then asked to wait on the side by the first post person (or whatever they call them). By this time I had been in the tiny post office for 10 minutes in the queue my children were running about with each other NOT kicking counters/displays they had been stood by me for over 10 minutes. Whilst the younger guy began dealing with my parcels after 15 minutes of waiting.

The first person jumped from one of the back doors and started screaming to leave the post office and not to come here again if I could'nt control my children (they are a 2 year old girl and a 4 year old boy).
Had he done this is another way spoken in quiet manner I would not have been so upset he screamed and by this time both my children thought he was going to hit me.

If someone had seen and heard this on their cctv they could see how threatening he was!

There was a queue of peole all shocked and staring, it was completely unexpected and upsetting.

I completed the transcation and left, I have never experienced this from anyone weather a shop assistant or any other person.
I rang the helpline and complained and received a bog standard letter that the complain has been passed to a Customer Service Manager ( who would not let me know how this would be dealt with by them) an apology and hope I enjoy the service from now on????

I've just rang to say that I did not wait this long to receive a bog standard reply, but was told that the customer service manager is not customer facing and he would deal with it in his own way, in other words that's it.
Also to continue using the post office I told her that he had upset myself and my childrens banned and she agreed to caontact the post office and find out as a post office cannot ban people on the spot.
After phoning the Post Office the response she gave and appeared to agree with the post office was that the particular post office says that my children kicked the front door and kicked the counters, I requested them to watch the cctv and see as this is completely untrue they never kick anywhere!
She refused this request.

She told me that he had considered banning me and my children but will allow me back in if I disciplined my children or did'nt bring them, how can I know what his standards of discipline are?

When I asked her what she meant she told me to keep my children on my side whilst within the Post Office, I would love to be able to do this and I know many parents would too.

There response has upset me as they have just agreed with him and all I wanted was an apology from the person who had threatended myself and my children.

What can I do, is there another department/body I can contact?

Comments

• Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    What you should have done was asked for a copy of cctv. What you should have done was told him to shut up and speak to you in a controlled manner.

I think it is a 14 day rule that they have to keep cctv for (but I could be wrong) so you might be able to still get hold of it.

And what you should have done was told the kids to behave and if you can't do that then don't take them out with you. Too many people don't tell parents exactly what we think of their screaming children, my hat is off to this bloke except that he over did it a bit.

And what you should be doing now is forgetting about it (apart from asking for copies of the tapes if it was a short time ago which it sounds like it wasn't. Use a different PO get over it, or use the same PO to spite him. Take your kids if you want, next time make sure you do ask for cctv copies.

The cctv might just be photographs every few seconds though.
  • Halaku
    Halaku Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Any CCTV footage of you is covered by the Data Protection Act, so you have the legal right to request copies of the tape citing it, although you would have to pay an administrative charge. Write a request formally, asking for the specific date and time. Make sure you give your full name and address. They may ask for proof of identity, so enclosing a photocopy of a driver's license is a good idea.

Most modern CCTVs record proper video footage, in colour and of pretty good quality.
  • alecpr
    alecpr Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently there is a second level that you can take your complaint too :

Further complaints and Postwatch

If you have made a complaint and you are not satisfied with the response you have received you can contact Postwatch, the independent watchdog for postal services on T: 08456 013 265 or by writing to them at:

Consumer Services
    Postwatch Head Office
    28 Grosvenor Gardens
    LONDON SW1W 0TT
    e: info@postwatch.co.uk
    web: https://www.postwatch.co.uk

Postwatch may be able to take up your case with Royal Mail and can give you advice on how to start the arbitration process in cases of dispute. Arbitration can be used for loss or damage claims relating to Royal Mail services. Only written statements are used, and you are not required to appear before a court or other body. If the arbitrator makes a recommendation, it's not legally binding. However, if you choose arbitration, you will not be able to take court action later. If you seek arbitration or court action you must do so within 12 months of the date of dispatch of the item. Your application fee (currently £25) is refunded in most cases if the arbitrator makes an award or recommendation in your favour. To obtain further details and an application form please write to either of the following addresses:

Royal Mail Headquarters
    148 Old Street
    LONDON
    EC1V 9HQ
    T: 0207 250 2888

Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
    12 Bloomsbury Square
    LONDON
    WC1A 2LP
    T: 0207 404 4023

I doubt, no matter what happens that you will be told what happens to the employee in question, it's down to internal policy on how the person is dealt with and you do not have the right, no matter how gratifying it may be, to know that you got him sacked. I think an apology is the most you can expect in this matter (excluding what happens to the employee in question), I would be asking for an apology from the employee concerned.

Make it clear what your complaint is and what you feel a satisfactory resolution would be, just saying that it's terrible and that nothing the post office does can possibly make any difference is not going to get you anywhere.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some people fail to realise that ALL children have tantrums and bad days including them when they were little. Definately complain to those addresses which were given. The post office near me used to tut and moan whenever I took a big bag of ebay parcels in. As a result I stopped going in there and in the end it shut down so I suppose everyone had the same idea. Which is what will happen to this post office eventually.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • sara2323
    sara2323 Posts: 479 Forumite
    Options
    Wig wrote:

And what you should have done was told the kids to behave and if you can't do that then don't take them out with you. Too many people don't tell parents exactly what we think of their screaming children, my hat is off to this bloke except that he over did it a bit.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with your comments, maybe you don't have children and don't realise that no parents (well that's what I think) will purposely allow there children to misbehave and would not do their best to stop a tantrum.

The fact is that he lied that my children kicked the door and the counters. They are 2 & 4 can't even reach the top of the counter and had he dealt with me the first time I went in this would not have occured.

I have seen adults behaving worse when they are asked to return then wait further 15 minutes as the staff can't do there job properly!

I would never judge parents onthe tantrums of their preschool children, as this is what normal children do. Several times I have gone into supermarkets etc and have witnessed tantrums and I felt very sorry for the parents not only do they have to deal with the child but also the behaviour of other adults!
  • dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old, there are so many places out there that are child unfriendly what do you expect the children too do. Mine make a bit of noise and get a bit silly sometimes and it is hard when you trying to get served and keep them occupied.

I'm afraid i can't give much advice, but I can understand how you feel.
  • elaine373
    elaine373 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    `And what you should have done was told the kids to behave` ......lol
    Like its that easy! Kids have tantrums coz of all sorts of reason and its not that simple. Somehow i dont think Wigs has kids.
    “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. Your really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    "and if you can't do that leave them at home"

I don't want pesky brats making noise around me either. btw I believe you when you say they didn't kick stuff, but they were making noise and being a nuisance. And maybe, just maybe one of them fell over and landed against the door or the display shelves, which he took to be a "kick".
  • suekjw
    suekjw Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I assume you don't have kids Wig - but if you ever do, I'm sure you'll 'order' a couple of quiet, well behaved ones, who'll never put a foot wrong!
  • krisskross
    krisskross Posts: 7,677 Forumite
    Options
    It can be quite dangerous if small children are allowed to run around in a little space. I once fell over a small child that appeared from nowhere. Rather foolishly perhaps I was not looking down but straight ahead at my eye level.The mother thought it was my fault that her child ran between my legs!
    My 2 year olds were always on reins outside the house or garden, I controlled where they went, which was never more than a yard from me.
    It has to be appreciated that not everyone feels the same way about our children as we do and the instinct to be affronted if we or our children are criticised is very strong. Personally I would chalk it up to everyone having a bad day and forget it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure