PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chocolate Truffles recipe?

Comments

• saraht wrote:
    Try this:

300g plain chocolate (75%+ cocoa)
    125g unsalted butter
    200g icing sugar
    4 tablespoons double cream
    a dash of rum or brandy

1.Melt the chocolate
    2.Add butter and cream
    3.Add sugar
    4.Add spirit

Roll into balls and chill for 1-2 hours .

Taste yummy, but very fattening!

oo-er..........just made this for the first time, but it isn't firm enough in the pan to roll into balls......I've put the pan into the fridge and i'm keeping my fingers crossed it starts to firm up as it chills, as i'm making a big batch for my OH for tomorrow!!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • do not panic, I made these yesterday, and after an hour or so in the fridge they firm up beautifullly.

They are soooooo yummy. Thanks to the OP for the recipe.

Once you have rolled them into balls dust them with cocoa powder, it stops them from sticking together and makes them taste even yummier
  • oh my....................I was able to start rolling them after about 30 minutes and they are all on a plate rolled in cocoa in the fridge again.......good job it made so many.....I've had 3 myself.........they are absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • vixtress
    vixtress Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :D sad i know but i am so proud of myself! always thought home made sweets etc were only for those creative types i have always rather envied! i cant believe how simple and ridiculously gorgous they are!!

in about 3 weeks i have gone from a life long spending for the sake of it, product buying queen to fairly os AND I LOVE IT!!

so thanks to all of you on this site and hope you dont mind me joining you! :beer:
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge £150 136/150
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Well done Vixtress! I had meant to make some as gifts this year myself, but unlike you I never quite got around to it - good on you. Hope they're really yummy :D
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Kazonline
    Kazonline Posts: 1,472 Forumite
    Well done Vixtress! I had meant to make some as gifts this year myself, but unlike you I never quite got around to it - good on you. Hope they're really yummy :D
    Kaz x
    January '06 Grocery Challenge (4th - 31st) £320.
    Week 1 - £73.99 Week 2 £5.10 (so far :p )
    Someone burst my bubble and I lost the plot so no idea what I spent now... :(I will try to work it out.
    Other Jan :- Petrol £20.41, Clothes £8.50, House £3.
  • Punky
    Punky Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post
    Congrats Vixtress! I remember as a child my parents always made truffles and pepermint creams for Xmas so I plan to make some this year. This OS stuff is great isn't it! Punky x
    Punky x
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Well done. There is something special about homemade sweets etc at Christmas isn't there?

When the children were small I used to make peppermint creams out of a pack of Philly, icing sugar, peppermint flavouring and green colouring. Just beat together, roll out and cut into 'pennies' on an icing sugared board and leave out for an hour or so to dry a little. I dipped them in melted chocolate to give a half circle of green and a half circle of choc.

They must be kept in the fridge or frozen until you want them.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the amounts icing sugar to Philly. Does anyone else know of this one? I think I originally found it in the magazine Freezer Digest which everyone was addicted to in the 80s.

Who remembers the articles for buying 10 chickens and spending all day to cook up zillions of different dishes to bury in caverous chest freezers? Or is it only me??? :confused::confused::confused:
  • vivw_2
    vivw_2 Posts: 2,230 Forumite
    stilernin wrote:

I think I originally found it in the magazine Freezer Digest which everyone was addicted to in the 80s.

Who remembers the articles for buying 10 chickens and spending all day to cook up zillions of different dishes to bury in caverous chest freezers? Or is it only me??? :confused::confused::confused:

Yes I'm old enough to remember that publication and the buying of chickens/ mince etc for batch baking

By the way I know its not OS but also in the 80s I used to buy mini rum truffles in a pack from Somerfield/Keymarket/ Fine Fare or what ever name they had then. Today I found them in morrisons 2 packets of 18 mini truffles for £1. Amazingly some found their way into my trolley!!!!
    We don't need to do it perfectly - good enough is exactly that GOOD ENOUGH.

• Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    stilernin wrote:
    Well done. There is something special about homemade sweets etc at Christmas isn't there?

When the children were small I used to make peppermint creams out of a pack of Philly, icing sugar, peppermint flavouring and green colouring. Just beat together, roll out and cut into 'pennies' on an icing sugared board and leave out for an hour or so to dry a little. I dipped them in melted chocolate to give a half circle of green and a half circle of choc.

They must be kept in the fridge or frozen until you want them.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the amounts icing sugar to Philly. Does anyone else know of this one? I think I originally found it in the magazine Freezer Digest which everyone was addicted to in the 80s.

Wow philly to make peppermint creams, we used whisked egg whites. That sounds so much safer these days.

Basically it is a peppermint cream cheese frosting.
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure