What to do if you've been affected by the XL collapse

Replies

• absolutly gutted we booked to go teneriffe 17th october using teletext holidays and it was a company called going on holiday that arranged it apparently it isnt a package so accomodation is seperate from flights. Until we get money back(paid with visa electron debit) from atol for flights cant book anywhere. feel deflated after year we have had( hubbys mum dying being the worst) was so looking forward to it and for our eldest 2 kids 2 relax before there exams next year.
    ohh well (big sigh)
  • Received e-mail saying that if "Principal: Freedom Flights" is on my flight paperwork then I can send off for a refund. BUT what about the accomodation, I don't know who that is through, if its via Medlife, apparently I'm f***ed?
    I note there is an ATOL number on the flight details but not on the accomodation one :mad:. I paid for both in a package by credit card. It looks like I could apply for a refund for the flight and then attempt to re-book another flight.
    Great :rolleyes::rolleyes: shelling out at least double for what I paid on the original flight and I'd still be sweating over the refund!
  • So how are XL France and XL Germany still allowed to trade if it's the same company ?
  • dmg24dmg24
    33.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    markccfc wrote: »
    So how are XL France and XL Germany still allowed to trade if it's the same company ?

It is not the same company per se. All to do with company formations, but it has separate assets and liabilities to the group that are in trouble.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • I believe that France & Germany bits have either been successfully re-financed, or they can finance themselves properly. Its just us int he UK that have issues.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • I booked 12 seats to cyprus using my Virgin Credit card travelling May 09. Virgin have advised me they cant do anything re refund until after the Service date (the date I was due to return in June 09) Does anyone know if this is correct? Seems a long time to wait.................They are also saying they cant guarentee I will be refunded?

I am the same, fly on the 22/10 and Abbey Credit Card have said they will not issue a refund until that date as another carrier may take over. So, that means I cannot risk booking other flights as Abbey will not pay out if someone takes the flight over - I could be left having forked out for two lots of flights. Also, my accomm - I have paid deposit and they want the balance - if I cancel it and lose the deposit I may be without accomm if another carrier takes over but if they do not take over I have paid for accomm I have no flight to get to - what does Abbey expect me to do?
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    markccfc wrote: »
    So how are XL France and XL Germany still allowed to trade if it's the same company ?

Although part of the same group the French and German arms were actually different companies registered in their respective countries. Those two businesses were bought overnight by an Icelandic bank (i think), so they were obviously deemed to be viable business unlike the UK side. Its also the reason a Orlando-Manchester flight ended up in Paris, the aircraft was owned by XL France who didn't want it impounded when landing in the UK!
  • SJM2468 wrote: »
    I am the same, fly on the 22/10 and Abbey Credit Card have said they will not issue a refund until that date as another carrier may take over. So, that means I cannot risk booking other flights as Abbey will not pay out if someone takes the flight over - I could be left having forked out for two lots of fle over I have paid for accomm I have no flight to get to - what does Abbey expect me to do?

I am sick to death of hearing about the Credit Cards advising customers incorrectly when contacting them for refunds in the wake of the XL problems. I have seen so many posts like the above which are just rubbish, it is just a blatent attempt to avoid refunds under the Consumer Credit Act Section 75!

I called Virgin Mastercard earlier and their recorded message advised for customers to call the Tour Operator for refunds under the ATOL scheme. Upon checking the ATOL Claim Form it clearly states that if you paid by credit card you have to claim from them under CCA section 75 and the Civil Aviation Authority will not refund you for any bookings made with a Credit Card!!

I eventually spoke to Virgin and have registered my intention to claim for the failed flights and the increased costs incurred by booking with an alternative carrier. They tried to put me off and also said that other Airlines are interested in purchasing them and the flights might be taken over by other carriers, which is just absolute rubbish.

I ask what Airline is going to fly passengers for another Airline in Administration and then become a unsecured creditor with little or no chance of payment.

Please don't allow yourself to be mislead by these companies, they might not like the act and the rights it affords you, but stand your ground! Grrrr
  • HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have just had this email from Thomson who are doing what they can to help those affected by the XL collapse:

Important Notice Regarding Holidays:

You may have heard the unfortunate news that a number of holiday companies have
    gone out of business this week.

Companies affected: XL.com, XL Holidays, Kosmar Holidays, Travel City Direct, Freedom Flights, Aspire Holidays, Seguro Holidays, Kent Escapes, Med Life Hotels, Transatlantic Vacations, Travel City, Explorer House, The Really Great Holiday Co.

Thomson are working hard with the authorities, to repatriate customers of the affected companies who are currently on holiday. If you have a friend or relative who is currently abroad and you are concerned, please call the Civil Aviation Authority on 0800 068 8991 for more information.

If you have booked a package holiday with one of the affected tour operators don’t worry. The ATOL protection scheme will usually allow a direct transfer of the value of your package holiday towards a new package holiday. Thomson is a leading holiday company that can help you do this. Thomson are working closely with industry authorities to help all those affected get their holiday plans back on track with the minimum of fuss.

If you have booked a holiday with one of these failed companies through a Thomson travel shop, our experienced retail team will be able to arrange an alternative holiday from our wide range of destinations and assist with claiming the refund for their XL holiday or flight. Customers can therefore rebook to go to their original destination or an alternative simply by paying the difference in the package price if the cost is higher.

If you have booked a holiday with one of these failed holiday companies direct (ie: not through a travel agent), please go to your local Thomson travel shop where they will help you. Alternatively you can call your local shop. For the number, use the shop finder on our website or call a directory enquiries service such as 118118.

If you booked a holiday with one of these failed companies through any other high street travel agent brand please go back to the place you booked. We are working closely with all UK travel agents and will, in most cases, be able to simply transfer your lost holiday value onto a Thomson holiday.

If you have booked a Thomson or First Choice holiday with flights originally operated by XL, we will take you to their original destination via a flight with our in house airlines, Thomsonfly and First Choice Airways or, in instances where neither are available, an alternative airline with a travel associate. Should any travel arrangements be subject to change, our customer services team will proactively advise you in advance.

In all cases you should bring all of your original booking documents with you. These should include the Travel Agent’s booking confirmation, the invoice from the Tour Operator, any proof of payment and any travel documents (e.g. tickets). This will help speed things up.

For more information go to: https://www.thomson.co.uk/xlassistance. Alternatively call 0871 231 5704. We have laid on additional staff to take your call. However you may have to hold a while as call volumes are quite high just now.

Thomson is part of TUI Travel PLC, Europe’s largest holiday company.

The Thomson Team

Terms and Conditions
    Calls cost 10p/min at all times from BT landlines. Mobile and other operator networks may vary. Calls may be recorded for quality monitoring and training purposes. Our call centre is open weekdays from 9am-9pm, Saturdays from 9am-8pm and Sundays and bank holidays from 10am-8pm. When booking, a 2.5% credit card charge will be made on each payment using Visa, MasterCard or Eurocard. No charge is made for payment by Maestro or Delta.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has the whole of KOSMAR holidays gone bust?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals