What to do if you've been affected by the XL collapse

Replies

• saintscouplesaintscouple Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Engadine wrote: »
    You will get your money back, I know refunds can take time but 6 months does seem rather a lot. As your contract is with Global then I would have thought they could refund you quicker than that

I think they may have been referring to the time it will take them to recieve their money back from atol perhaps? :confused:

As reading their t&c's online it does state that if they are unable to offer a suitable alternative holiday to us, we have the right to a full, and quick refund.

Just depends on how they define quick.

Whilst waiting for their call, gives me time to print our their t&c's and exhaust the highlighter pen :o
  • hayley11hayley11 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm due to fly to crete next Friday, booked the holiday through Thomsons but our holiday is with Kosmar and the flights with XL. Does this mean our holiday is just going to be cancelled? I'll go into Thomsons in the morning but just wondered if anybody on here would know?

Thanks xx
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • bagand96bagand96 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm due to fly to crete next Friday, booked the holiday through Thomsons but our holiday is with Kosmar and the flights with XL. Does this mean our holiday is just going to be cancelled? I'll go into Thomsons in the morning but just wondered if anybody on here would know?

Unfortunately yes you will be canceled. You will receive a refund though through the ATOL scheme, although this may take a while. You will need to fill in a claim form http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1804/Kosmar_Villa_Claim_Form.pdf which you should then hand into Thomson. I'm sure Thomson can assist you further with the form etc...
  • coralcoral Forumite
    324 Posts
    thomson can claim it back directly, so all you will need to do is book another holiday in the shop tomorrow, think you'll have to pay the difference though. take any paperwork that you've got!
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies, hopefully they can find us another holiday for around the same price, we can't afford to pay anymore. So gutted, ordered our currency last night as well.
  • saintscouplesaintscouple Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    hayley11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, hopefully they can find us another holiday for around the same price, we can't afford to pay anymore. So gutted, ordered our currency last night as well.

You can try what we're doing, and probably others, in spending the evening scouring the holidays on your agents website - trying to get something for aprox the same price. Living in Southampton, we've actually found a holiday from Southampton airport for around the same price, so may work out cheaper for us with no transfer to Gatwick.

Don't forget to cancel any extras you may have arranged. We've just cancelled our airport parking for a full refund and no penalty.
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can try what we're doing, and probably others, in spending the evening scouring the holidays on your agents website - trying to get something for aprox the same price. Living in Southampton, we've actually found a holiday from Southampton airport for around the same price, so may work out cheaper for us with no transfer to Gatwick.

Don't forget to cancel any extras you may have arranged. We've just cancelled our airport parking for a full refund and no penalty.

Yeah we've had a look on the Thomsons website, there's nothing around the same price, not even if we fly from another airport. And we no money at all to pay extra.

So disappointed, the last holiday me and my OH went on, I got flu and we had to come home early and we've had such a bad year, we were so looking forward to this.
  • bowlesbargainbowlesbargain Forumite
    210 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am no expert but had booked 4 tickets fly drive with Travelcity. Total £1600. I have paid the deposit by visa debit. I re booked the 4 tickets with virgin at 9am this morning as I am sure the price will rise.
    I have also put a claim into CAA for action for return of the deposit. I wait there reply. The site says apply to your credit company direct if paid by credit card but claim from CAA if booked on debit card which I have done.

I would adivise anyone in the same boat as me to get a clain in ASAP to the CAA let them sort it out. I am sorry for all the people booked and have lost there money. How can Travel city still be taking money last night when they were aware they were about to cease trading.
  • SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    I posted on another thread but our situation is - we booked with an online travel agent, XL flights, we had to wait for confirmation of the hotel as we were upgrading it (honeymoon booking), so I'm not sure if that counts as a package deal or not?

Anyway, there are now Easyjet flights listed with that particular holiday (which appeared on the site for the first time last week - £20 cheaper than XL) but now they want an extra £400 for the flights!

So does that mean as the holiday company have an alternative flight, we will have to pay it, or lose our deposit?

This is only the 3rd holiday abroad I've booked in my almost 50 years, so please excuse my ignorance if I'm asking stupid, obvious questions!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides