Replies

• OggyoiOggyoi Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I posted this recently:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=13977223&postcount=21

Check the ABTA website, they may be able to shed more light :confused:
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam 
  • I booked 12 seats to cyprus using my Virgin Credit card travelling May 09. Virgin have advised me they cant do anything re refund until after the Service date (the date I was due to return in June 09) Does anyone know if this is correct? Seems a long time to wait.................They are also saying they cant guarentee I will be refunded?
  • saintscouplesaintscouple Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Engadine wrote: »
    Refunds normally take a few months to come through. Is your accommodation booked through XL as well? If not then your accommodation will still be available.

The agent can't just give you flights with another carrier, you would have to pay for them and wait on your refund for the XL flights.

We booked flights and accomodation through globallatedeals.com.
    The flights are xl, but the accomodation not - we have already recieved our accommodation voucher.

I thought i read somewhere that the atol refund can be done through a bond whereby we authorise atol to refund the agent, rather than ourselves, thus allowing the agent to supply different flights.

If this isn't so will atol refund the flights and accommodation, or just the flights?
    If just the flights how is the cost calculated as we booked it as a package?, hence never recieved a breakdown of costs for flights and accommodation seperatley - we just paid a total package price.

We're not going to be able to afford to pay for further flights upfront, and then wait months for a refund.
    We have just checked flights from easyjet which come to £606 - which is more than we paid for our holiday package.

More advice pleeeeeeeeease.......
  • OggyoiOggyoi Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I booked 12 seats to cyprus using my Virgin Credit card travelling May 09. Virgin have advised me they cant do anything re refund until after the Service date (the date I was due to return in June 09) Does anyone know if this is correct? Seems a long time to wait.................They are also saying they cant guarentee I will be refunded?

I always thought the security of paying by credit card for purchses over £100 was that you got the protection of refunds :confused:

I hope / think you have been mis-informed.
    I'd try emailing the credit card people to clarify things, that way you have a copy of what they tell you.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam 
  • We booked flights and accomodation through globallatedeals.com.
    The flights are xl, but the accomodation not - we have already recieved our accommodation voucher.

I thought i read somewhere that the atol refund can be done through a bond whereby we authorise atol to refund the agent, rather than ourselves, thus allowing the agent to supply different flights.

If this isn't so will atol refund the flights and accommodation, or just the flights?
    If just the flights how is the cost calculated as we booked it as a package?, hence never recieved a breakdown of costs for flights and accommodation seperatley - we just paid a total package price.

We're not going to be able to afford to pay for further flights upfront, and then wait months for a refund.
    We have just checked flights from easyjet which come to £606 - which is more than we paid for our holiday package.

More advice pleeeeeeeeease.......

As you booked with Global Late Deals chances are the accommodation is booked through their inhouse accomodation company Triton Rooms, so this is safe and still available.

As Global late Deals sold it to you as a package then it will be covered by ATOL.

I would call Global Late Deals and see what they can do for you, they are effectively your tour operator as they have packaged the holiday for you.

Global Late Deals site says to call them on 0871 222 4004
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

• freebiequenniefreebiequennie Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    so so glad we didnt book our holiday to grenada nearly booked it 2 weeks ago and husband said no lets got to rhodes, he must have a sixth sense!!
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Engadine wrote: »
    As you booked with Global Late Deals chances are the accommodation is booked through their inhouse accomodation company Triton Rooms, so this is safe and still available.

As Global late Deals sold it to you as a package then it will be covered by ATOL.

I would call Global Late Deals and see what they can do for you, they are effectively your tour operator as they have packaged the holiday for you.

Global Late Deals site says to call them on 0871 222 4004

Unfortunatley i've phoned them twice now, and both times i've been told the directors are in a meeting and that they don't know anything until they've been briefed - they will call me back, but they don't know when.
    They also been told not to give any advice untill they've been briefed!!!

You are spot on about the accommodation, it does show triton on the voucher.
  • Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    As can be seen, confusion reins. I fear this failure is going to be very messy. You can only claim from the CAA if your booking was with one of the ATOL protected companies within the group that failed overnight. As has become apparent in the last 12 hours many agents and small operators were buying seats form XL but putting a package together themselves and not acting as an agent of XL. This means the contract is with agency and not XL and there will be no claim on the bond. If you have an invoice or reciept that says your contract is with xyz ATOL number ..... and it is not one of the XL Group, it the responsbility of the company you booked with to offer a full refund or an alternative holiday.

To make matters worse, some agents have sold flights and accommodation separately and passed on both invoices from the two companies. In this case you may be stuck with the accommodation even if there is no flight. This is a risk you take if you do not buy a package holiday. I think this is the first major failure when some customers and I suspect some other agents and operators are going to find that they may have made costly mistakes
    4.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    .......... If you have an invoice or reciept that says your contract is with xyz ATOL number ..... and it is not one of the XL Group, it the responsbility of the company you booked with to offer a full refund or an alternative holiday..

This looks like me then....as it states my contract is with The Global Travel Group. Furthermore in the t&c's i see it states "As your contract is with The Global Travel Group, you will not be affected by the failure of any supplier"

Now my copy of the t&c's is very smudgy and runs off the page, but i'm guessing the above terms means i will not lose my money i.e if they can't offer me alternative flights, or another suitable holiday, i will get my money back.
    Though as was quoted to me on my last call with the agent, who states i have to wait for them to contact me, that refunds would take up to 6 months! If my contract is with them, why should it take 6 months? I mean i haven't had my flight tickets yet, so probably they hadn't paid XL for them, so why so long?

This is confusing, but i really appreciate your post Mr Alan Bowen - a glimmer of hope for me perhaps?
  • This looks like me then....as it states my contract is with The Global Travel Group. Furthermore in the t&c's i see it states "As your contract is with The Global Travel Group, you will not be affected by the failure of any supplier"

Now my copy of the t&c's is very smudgy and runs off the page, but i'm guessing the above terms means i will not lose my money i.e if they can't offer me alternative flights, or another suitable holiday, i will get my money back.
    Though as was quoted to me on my last call with the agent, who states i have to wait for them to contact me, that refunds would take up to 6 months! If my contract is with them, why should it take 6 months? I mean i haven't had my flight tickets yet, so probably they hadn't paid XL for them, so why so long?

This is confusing, but i really appreciate your post Mr Alan Bowen - a glimmer of hope for me perhaps?

You will get your money back, I know refunds can take time but 6 months does seem rather a lot. As your contract is with Global then I would have thought they could refund you quicker than that
    :j Debt free since 31/01/08:j

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News