Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug! - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug!

edited 8 December 2009 at 8:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
61 replies 31.2K views

Replies

• Jen_31Jen_31 Forumite
    343 posts
    I have just tried this now after having the recipe for a few months. I did mine in a pudding bowl, it would all be too much ingredients for a mug. What mine turned out in the end, i must admit was hard to cut and the density of a biscuit!!!. :eek:

It's now on the garden but i'm thinking the birds will need a hammer to chip bits off just to eat the thing :D
    :)
  • quick-easy-comfort food-
    http://www.joebrowns.co.uk/publish.asp?what=pj-skills_for_life_five&page=1

PS/must admit i havent tried it yet,only got this in an Email this morning.
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • edited 7 December 2009 at 1:51PM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 December 2009 at 1:51PM
    Thanks for the link; I haven't watched the video as no subtitles, but it may be a variation on angeldiva's recipe? Hopefully Penny or Pink will merge this thread with that one, as some people like the video instructions rather than a written recipe;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ceebeebyceebeeby Forumite
    4.4K posts
    This was on the Chris Evans, R2 show about 6 months ago, with plenty of 'alternatives' to go in with the mug.

Kids love making them.
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried it but the one rosieben posted is on instructibles and I did it yesterday for lunch, it was super descrumptious and only took 3 mins in our 900watt microwave.
  • Ohhhhh thanks for that,
    Just watched the vid and it looks sooo yummy when it comes out!

Will try making this tonight for a quick cheaty pud for the kids so will post how it works out!!

Has gone to play on her own little world for a bit..... but its ok the voices in her head came too so she's not alone ;)
  • Pink.Pink. Forumite
    17.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi cookingmama,

There's a previous thread with a chocolate cake in a mug recipe and lots of discussion on it so I'll add this thread to it to keep the video and recipes together.

Pink
  • Cooking a cake in the microwave? I didnt think this would be possible. Sounds bizarre but im certainly gonna try it!
  • hathorhathor Forumite
    175 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    For those who find it rubbery or tough.

Basically, this is a muffin, not a cake.
    On that basis, after combining the dry ingredients I would try beating the egg with the other liquid ingredients in another mug first, then adding all at once, to minimise the "handling" of the ingredients, which tends to toughen muffins. (Sorry, I do realise that doubles the washing up.) Then just stir the ingredients together enough to mix, ignoring any bits that look like lumps, so long as there's no dry flour visible.
    Secondly, as others have stated, there's such a variation with microwaves, it really is worth experimenting with cooking and standing times till you get the right result from your own machine.
    As a last resort, add a pinch (there's only 4 tablespoons of flour, remember, about an ounce and a third, for us oldies!) of baking powder (not bicarb) to help with the raising, but it shouldn't need it.

Hope this helps.
  • MINUTE CHOCOLATEMUGCAKE!!

4 tablespoons flour
    4 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons cocoa
    1 egg
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons oil
    3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
    A small splash of vanilla extract and your favourite tipple
    1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to your largest mug and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using), vanilla extract and a drop or two of your favourite tipple, then mix again.

download?mid=1%5f22460%5fABEmvs4AAMLaSknDfAL5djodDMo&pid=4&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts (high).
    The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed!

download?mid=1%5f22460%5fABEmvs4AAMLaSknDfAL5djodDMo&pid=5&fid=Inbox&inline=1

Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

download?mid=1%5f22460%5fABEmvs4AAMLaSknDfAL5djodDMo&pid=6&fid=Inbox&inline=1

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).

download?mid=1%5f22460%5fABEmvs4AAMLaSknDfAL5djodDMo&pid=7&fid=Inbox&inline=1