Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug! - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Link to 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug!

edited 8 December 2009 at 8:23PM in Old Style MoneySaving
61 replies 31.2K views

Replies

• NickiNicki Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Yuk!

Mine came out rubbery.:confused:
    Try reducing the time you cook it for. Microwaves really vary in intensity and even a few seconds here and there can make a big difference. When I tried it, it was quite dense but in a chocolate brownie kind of way, really moist and not at all rubbery and it worked really well hot with ice cream as a quick pud as others have said.
  • am i the only one without a microwave.
    really fancy this one:o
  • rovers wrote: »
    am i the only one without a microwave.
    really fancy this one:o

I've not got one either.....I'm very tempted to go round to my mum's house and use her ding machine. :cool:
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • I don't have a nuker either - but I prefer it that way, they are ugly and take up too much space, when I had one I hardly used it and so prefer to be without one. They are good for quick steamed puddings though and the choc pud in a mug looks like fun too.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • I've just put mine in the micro, 2:24 left and counting....
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • Ok, I'm not massivly keen. It looks gorgeous, quite soufflé like in appearance, but it really thick and dense, I even added extra milk and less flour hoping to thin it out a little.

I wonder if using self raising flour or some raising poweder would help this?
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K posts
    Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How long will it need in a 750W microwave please? I have a previous unhappy experience of microwave cake. :(
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • How long will it need in a 750W microwave please? I have a previous unhappy experience of microwave cake. :(

It should be 4 and a half minutes by the maths, however I did it in a 700W microwave on full for 4 minutes 20 and it still looked soggy. I then did it for an extra minute and it was fine but a little bit rubbery.

I would suggest 4 minutes, leave to stand and see what it looks like. However someone did it in 3m45 in a 650 microwave so perhaps 3 and a half would be safer?
    I don't believe and I never did that two wrongs make a right
  • I sometimes make a syrup sponge in the microwave, it takes only a minute to cook in my 900watt oven but I put the bowl in a bain marie and cover with cling film, comes out lovely and moist! I do use self raising (I even use SR for shortcrust pastry, works a treat!)
    Maybe a dish of water for the mug to stand in would work well.
    IAAR/IAAMM/MFTMFAQ/IOA6BH
  • sb44sb44 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I tried this today but I had to use Twinings Drinking Chocolate and it was too rich (I think it has bits of sugar and chocolate flakes in there).

It was edible and def a quick choc fix, was a bit like those death by chocolate deserts that you get in a restaurant.

My 9 year old liked it but my husband couldn't eat it.

I will have to buy some cocoa powder and have another go.

My micowave is a 900w and it took 3 minutes so def a quick dessert.