Ear infection in Westies

Options
We have a 6yr old westie who up until 3 months was a healthy dog. He then developed an ear infection and was given antibiotics and ear drops from the vet he made no improvements and had his ears flushed and a further supply of antibiotics. By this time he had also started to chew his feet and was given Piriton for this. I have today visited the vets again and they have started him on steriods and said if I want to know the underlying problem it will cost me £450 for a blood test as we have no insurance. The vet has also advised that the steriods will not cure the infection but will make him feel better. As anyone had any similar experience and is there anything further we can do.

Comments

• splishsplash
    Options
    Our Westie is now eight, and coincidentally, when she was six, she developed atopic dermatitis. She started scratching at her ears, and constantly licking her paws, and over a few weeks, her skin started to get very pink under her hair, and her ears drove her completely nuts. She also developed rusty looking patches on her rump and beard, and was generally scratching and uncomfortable.

Atopic dermatitis is very common in Westies, so try asking your vet if it's a possibility. It usually occurs when the dog becomes hypersensitive to dust mites, fleas or food, and shows this as an allergic reaction. There is no definitive blood test or any other test to diagnose this, btw, so I don't know what your vet wants to test for?

Steroids won't cure the condition. Regular bathing (every two or three days) and thorough drying each time will help, as will rigorous de-fleaing, a hypo-allergenic diet (we used and still use Burns) and a dust-free environment (i.e. indoors on regularly washed bedding).

We ended up putting our Westie on Atopica for a few months also, which really helped. She had a particularly bad case, though, it may not always be necessary:confused: . The tablets were mighty expensive, but undoubtedly cleared the skin right up.

Hope your little guy feels better soon... not nice to see them unhappy. (I'm happy to report our little girl is back to her bouncy, happy, mad little self ever since, with no recurrence of any symptoms).
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: Sorry, giving or asking for medical advice is not permitted on this forum as it’s not what this site is about. While discussing medical insurance policies, cheaper ways to see consultants, cashback for alternative health treatments and how to get specific medication cheaper (legally) are all perfectly acceptable we ask you specifically not to discuss what to do in the event of certain medical problems (please see this rule on the Health Board). If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] :)
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure