Recommended vacuum cleaner?

Options
Hi,

Having just taken the vacuum cleaner that we bought from Asda back for the second time we are on the look out for a more reliable one. I do fancy another dyson but the prices are a little offputting to be honest also i've heard that one or two dyson models are far from great so dont want to make the mistake of buying the wrong one.

So what are your recommendations for my new vac??

Thanks,

Pete.
I'll get me coat!

Comments

• abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Miele. It's a fantastic machine and I've had it for over 10 years. They should last over 20. Touch wood it's never needed anything doing to it and it's still like new. Miele site is Here
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Miele cat and dog.

Wouldn't touch Dyson, had two, wouldn't buy another.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need the George or Henry from just about everywhere!! Argos & comet & Currys &....

Work well & forever, aren't dear & look cute too!!

VB
  • Yoga_Girl
    Options
    We also have a Miele. Very easy to use. Gave up on the Dysons after bits kept breaking off. Only difference is that the Miele requires bags, however I buy these on-line and they're not expensive. Would definately recommend the Miele, had it a couple of years now with no problems.
  • Pegleg2001
    Options
    Sorry to contradict the others but our Miele fell apart. The Dyson DC05 we have refuses to die and does a great job.

It does not lose suction. And, although Dyson never says it in its ads, IT MEANS YOUR CARPETS ARE CLEANER!
    The Pegster

Quote-of-the-day: "A fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place"
  • EmLoo
    EmLoo Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    We've had problems with hoovers too...

Had a 'The One' from Hoover, this was a brill hoover but the clip that holds the cylinder in snapped off - according to Comet this was a design fault, so we didn't get another... We then went for a Hoover Extra Lightweight 2000W Dust Manager (bit of a mouthful...) good hoover again, but the hose attached to the top of the unit and every time you used it, it pulled the hoover over - I had permanent bruises on the backs of my legs! It also kept cutting out when the filter was full, which didn't take long, and then you had to clean it and leave it for 24 hours until it would work again... So we eventually went for a Dyson DC14 and haven't looked back - it is brilliant... well worth the extra pennies. Would def recommend.
    Hope this helps and here endeth the hoover story!!!

:cool:
  • coffeebean
    Options
    Henry every time! brilliant little hoover, even sucks up plaster rubble no problem! great for animal hairs too, and the suction is very strong. The hose is long enough to do the stairs without having to hump it up the stairs, and the cord is also really long. Mine is 8 years old now, and still going strong. AND Homebase have them on offer at the mo for £89.99 - but I think that offer ends today so you need to be quick!
    coffeebean
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    Miele cat and dog! When I bought it a couple of years ago it was rated best buy by WHICH. I'd buy
    another Miele if this ever needs replacing.
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
  • meadowcat
    Options
    I bought a Dyson about 3 years ago and was delighted with it .... but I got static shocks from it. I tried what Dyson suggested, spraying it with anti static polish. I tried wearing rubber gloves. That was sort of ok, but I still got the shocks when the tube hit my legs. Even the engineer they sent out to look at it got the shocks. They eventually replaced the cleaner but the new one was exactly the same.

In the meantime we had moved and our new house is all hard floors and I only had four rugs. Two of these rugs continued to give me shocks, so I put them in the loft. The other two rugs are fine as they are 100% wool.

So, while I think the Dyson have great suction power, it's not much use if you dread using them. If ever I decide to get carpet, I'll have to think about a new vacuum - or else buy very expensive 100% wool carpets!
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 295 Forumite
    Options
    Dysons are good although the wheels do tebd to come off but they usually just require a new clip to refit them.

Henry`s are good but they do require bags which over a couple of years would be the cost of another vac`.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure