PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning sick from wool rug?

Options

Comments

• eml_3
    eml_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry if this turns anyone's stomach. My daughter was sick all up our stair carpet yesterday - not too long after having drunk blackcurrant squash (typical!). Anyway, I have scrubbed it, tried vanish mousse and some febreze but it still smells. I don't really want to put any more products on and am sure there must be an old style remedy for removing sick. I would be grateful for any tips, especially as the cat is also throwing up daily - why do they have to wait until they come inside to do that?
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on stain - leave for several hours and then hoover it all off.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need something biological (i.e. washing powder) to remove all traces of organic material, as this is what causes the smell, and soda water and/or lemon juice should remove any stain if it's still "fresh" :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Why is your cat throwing up daily?

Has he a furball?
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Borrow a Vax and wash the carpet. My baby daughter was once really sick over my shoulder and over the radiatior. It took ages to get rid of the smell from behind it :(
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • eml_3
    eml_3 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Luis wrote:
    Why is your cat throwing up daily?

Has he a furball?

Not sure really - he seems to eat a lot of grass and various insects, so that might be it. He seems perfectly well, so I haven't worried about it too much, apart from to swear at him copiously when treading in cat sick with bare feet (bleurrgghh!). Should I be concerned?
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Options
    Ah - the old bare-feet-in-the-cat-sick of-a-morning routine - I remember it so well :p

TBH I don't know - if your mog seems fine, then it probably is fine - cats seem very resilient. Most of my cats go through phases of yakking up - but not usually for longer than a few weeks - mostly during the moulting season when they get mucho grando furballs (yuk).

If the mog seems poorly, whip it down the vets - if not, enjoy your morning squelchy foot treat!

Luis x
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • emeraldbugle
    Options
    My little one was sick on the carpet, not just on a small patch, but about a metre square patch!

We have so far used 1001 carpet cleaner. My mum suggested sprinkling bicarb of soda over it and the good old 'open the window'.

It still stinks, any other ideas?

Thanks
  • trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    When my son was little he was quite sickly due to health problems. We tried various carpet cleaners to no avail. I found the best thing is to make up a solution of bio washing powder with warm water and clean the area with this with a clean cloth - it works honestly & gets rid of the smell. By the way our carpets are just regular, not wool or anything fancy ! Hope this helps. Have a nice day !!
  • FunkyFairy
    Options
    I have cream carpets through out my house and just before christmas my son was really ill.

I used disinfectant and very hot water to clean the area which worked a treat.

I then used bicarb when the patch was dry then hovered off.

No smells and no stain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport