Red Debt Collection (Lowells) & 3 mobile

Options

Comments

• GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    RAS - excellent suggestion :) By definition, that's a "lack of-helpline"...when are this bunch going to learn and put their house in order ?!?!?!?

in fact, I might just e-mail WD myself.....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • J_K_2
    J_K_2 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Well.
    I've had a phonecall from 3 telling me that to comply with the SAR I sent them, they want me to fill in a form. I said no. The SAR I sent is a perfectly legal document that complies with the IOC's guidelines.
    She also said that there would be a £5 charge for each invoice apart from the final one. I said that there wouldn't be. I have paid them £10 which is the maximum amount chargeable for the SAR information and that they have to provide ALL the information and documents relating to me for that money. She seemed really confused when I told her that IT IS THE LAW. Not a guideline. THE LAW that this information will be provided to me for that sum.
    I eventually aggreed to fill in their form but said that unless the information was provided to me within the date originally set in my SAR then I would be fileing a complaint against them with the IOC.
    And I said that I don't trust 3G enough not to lie about phonecalls so don't ring me ever again. They may only correspond with me by mail.

Ooooo it's makes my blood boil!!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    J_K wrote: »
    I've had a phonecall from 3 telling me that to comply with the SAR I sent them, they want me to fill in a form. I said no. The SAR I sent is a perfectly legal document that complies with the IOC's guidelines.
    She also said that there would be a £5 charge for each invoice apart from the final one. I said that there wouldn't be. I have paid them £10 which is the maximum amount chargeable for the SAR information and that they have to provide ALL the information and documents relating to me for that money. She seemed really confused when I told her that IT IS THE LAW. Not a guideline. THE LAW that this information will be provided to me for that sum.
    I eventually aggreed to fill in their form but said that unless the information was provided to me within the date originally set in my SAR then I would be fileing a complaint against them with the IOC.

Your experience sums up, all too well, the arrogance of those Companies who think that the Law does not apply to them, or simply their 'ignorance' of the fundamental rights available to those whom they are pursuing. :mad: :mad:

It certainly raises the question as to why these people are unaware of their legal obligations, and, if this is the case, should they even be allowed to deal with the public.

I would, most certainly, get on to the ICO - www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx - as soon as possible.

You have been astute enough to question this 'persons' attitude - unfortunately the vast majority of those who call, with a similar request, will be unaware of their rights and many will submit to this 'emotional robbery' and part with unnecessary cash, or simply drop their request altogether.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • J_K_2
    Options
    Thanks Rog.
    I'm a director of the second largest horticultural polythene supplier in the UK and you don't get anywhere by bowing down and not asking questions or doing research. It's not the money. It's the principle of it.

What makes me laugh is that I've just received ANOTHER text message from Mackenzie Hall.

A complaint to the ICO will be forthcoming tomorrow morning.

And as soon as I receive the information from 3 which won't include any kind of signed agreement, they will be getting a letter telling them that I am not liable for any debt that they believe I owe as they do not hold a signed agreement from me.
  • J_K_2
    Options
    Oh dear.
    Without any proof, you can't get anything done by the ICO. And I didn't record the phonecall as I don't have that facility on my mobile phone...yet!

In the post today. 5 invoices from 3G

Lets hope the rest shows up soon!
  • Teh_Russ
    Options
    Just registered in order to post looking for some advice about my situation...

Like everyone else here, I have been getting letters from Lowell/Red for the last few months, although I haven't been able to look at them as I've been working abroad for the past six months and have only just read them. They're looking for £130 from me for a 3 Mobile account. They've also already registered a default on my credit report, which is vastly irritating, as I've been working abroad to save up money towards a house deposit, and I have no other bad credit.

Now, the thing is, I've never had a phone on 3. Been on O2 forever and have never had any dealings with 3 whatsoever.

I spoke to someone at their office, and told them that, if there was an account in my name, then it'd have to be down to identity theft, and was told that apparently their fraud department would get on to it. The address they told me was linked to the debt was somewhere I lived between 2000 and 2001, which was several years before 3 Mobile even existed!

Should I proceed with what everyone's been suggesting here, with the "prove it" letter, etc? Also, to anyone who's had any apparent resolution to this, did they remove the default from your credit report?
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Teh_Russ wrote: »
    Should I proceed with what everyone's been suggesting here, with the "prove it" letter, etc? Also, to anyone who's had any apparent resolution to this, did they remove the default from your credit report?

Hi TR - you must definitely send the 'Prove It' letter to Lowell.

You can insist that Lowell remove the 'default' from your crf. If they don't you should report them in the first case to Trading Standards.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    jeez...can you believe that this lot are still going on at the wrong people :confused:

You really would have thought they'd have learned their lesson by now....
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • Vyvyan
    Vyvyan Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    I know this is an old post, but I'm also fed up of recieving these letters regarding debt I don't owe and given the one I've recieved today, Iam going to have to waste my time trying to sort it out.

My situation is for 3G, I was billed for the month after I cancelled my phone contract in Feb 2006. This was rectified (by phone and letters Twice!) and I recieved a letter confirming account closed and no monies owed. After such confirmation I didn't feel the need to keep the letters.
    I've had letters from BCW, Lowell, Mackenzie Hall, and now Red debt.
    Red debt are instucting me that they will use the services of a 'Home Visit Agent'
    or to issue a CCJ on me if I do not contact them by 18/5/09.
    3G refused to discuss this with me over the phone but I got copies of my last 3 phone bills out of them.

I wish to obtain information on my account, I begrudge paying £10 to get it, especially as I was advised it would take 40 days, but I know that I do not owe this money and the Information obtain would say this. 3G advised that if they had made the mistake they would give me my £10 back, but I don't believe them.

After I have obtained the information, Who would i need to contact to prove I don't owe this debt and to stop this action against me? Is there a letter I can send all DCA concerned in order to give me time to get the information together?
    I'm only just getting on my feet with my debts and I don't need a CCJ to mess it up for me.

Thank you to anyone who can help!
  • lyniroquai
    Options
    thanx for all the advice guys!

I've suddenly started getting letters from 3 and lowell and they reckon I owe debt back to 2005/2006 which I know I dont!!!

Glad to see what I can do before I pay or dont pay anything for a debt I dont know where it has come from!!!

Keeping the thread alive :money:
    Jay Kay is my husband!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family