Problems with guest list and FIL....

Options

Comments

• gill_81uk
    gill_81uk Posts: 2,850 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think it very much depends on the children! (and ofcourse their parents!)

We're having children, but from all of our family it only works out as 6 of them and they're all fairly well behaved.

If you get to ten or more and they know each other then they can cause total chaos playing together, running about, screaming etc!

I can totally see why you would not want 30+!!! Stick to your guns, you've got nothing to feel guilty for.
    Mummy to Thomas born April 27th 2010 8lb 5oz
  • bride_on_a_budget
    Options
    Hi,

we only had 6 children at our wedding age 18m-11y and they all had a part from flower girls, bridesmaids and ushers. and for the evening do we asked the guests not to bring children as their would have been 30 kids running around causing mayhem. everyone agreed and siad it would be nice to let their hair down.

the only other option is to hire a kids entertainer or nannie service to look after the kids during the speeches ect...
    a friend did this and we didnt see the kids for hours

bride on a budget
  • bride_on_a_budget
    Options
    sorry forgot to add that my friend got the people who were bringing children to contribute to the costs of the nannie service and they all did
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Obviously weren't at the three "children welcome" weddings that I was at then......

Children fighting in the church......toddler having first of several screaming fits because she couldn't go up the aisle after her bigger sister (who was a BM)......2 children eating so much cake they were sick....

Don't forget that my nan had broke her hip too after falling over one of the kids because it was under her feet!

We must of been at the same wedding :)

Steph xx
  • ~evanesco~
    Options
    This is what we're doing. I have too big a family to invite them all to the day ceremony and reception, so no cousins + no kids, close friends and family and their children will be invited. The evening, I'm specifically inviting (as in written on the invites) the grown ups. I'm expecting phone calls that will ask about their kids, so I'm putting a note on the information cards that says something along the lines of 'we want you to help us celebrate without constantly watching your rugrats, so we'd appreciate it if you could find child care arrangements. If this isn't possible, in order for everyone to fully enjoy our day all children under 14 will be expected to be in their beds by 9.30'. Or something to that effect. We're thinking of booking a couple of rooms at the hotel for the kids, where the responsible 12 year old BM's can take the flower girls and have a mini sleep over type thing. The older BM, MoH and CBM are going to rotate checking on them, but after a long day I would imagine they'd be zonko'd by 10pm. Any idea's on this plan would be appriciated,
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    ~evanesco~ wrote: »
    This is what we're doing. I have too big a family to invite them all to the day ceremony and reception, so no cousins + no kids, close friends and family and their children will be invited. The evening, I'm specifically inviting (as in written on the invites) the grown ups. I'm expecting phone calls that will ask about their kids, so I'm putting a note on the information cards that says something along the lines of 'we want you to help us celebrate without constantly watching your rugrats, so we'd appreciate it if you could find child care arrangements. If this isn't possible, in order for everyone to fully enjoy our day all children under 14 will be expected to be in their beds by 9.30'. Or something to that effect. We're thinking of booking a couple of rooms at the hotel for the kids, where the responsible 12 year old BM's can take the flower girls and have a mini sleep over type thing. The older BM, MoH and CBM are going to rotate checking on them, but after a long day I would imagine they'd be zonko'd by 10pm. Any idea's on this plan would be appriciated,

At the last wedding I was at ( 2 months ago) all the kids, apart from a 2 year old were still going strong well after midnight.
    On a normal school day my 11 year old is not in bed before 10pm
  • ~evanesco~
    Options
    mymatebob wrote: »
    At the last wedding I was at ( 2 months ago) all the kids, apart from a 2 year old were still going strong well after midnight.
    On a normal school day my 11 year old is not in bed before 10pm

Thanks for that, I'm still in between decisions. I'll probably just say 'stuff it, bring them all!' I love kids, hence having 6 flower girls. Yep, think I'm gonna let them come. It's a wedding!
  • mymatebob
    mymatebob Posts: 2,199 Forumite
    Options
    ~evanesco~ wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm still in between decisions. I'll probably just say 'stuff it, bring them all!' I love kids, hence having 6 flower girls. Yep, think I'm gonna let them come. It's a wedding!

If you decide to have them then great they can be lots of fun - IMO.

I think the OP is right to not have them at the wedding and no doubt there will be harsh words said but hey - you only get married once...... or twice.....or, well enjoy the day whatever you decide.
  • ellies_angel
    Options
    I love children
    Have worked in childcare for over 20 years
    But I stated that I didn't want any children at my wedding and you know what all my female friends and relatives were delighted. As one friend said (mother of my adored god son) she can go to a wedding for once and enjoy herself without worrying about what her boys are doing.
    Weddings are not the place for children, they are boring (its a long time to sit during the meal etc) and they can be dangerous children tripping over chair legs, banging into tables and thats without them getting over excited and running around.

Its your wedding, your choice
    :rotfl: l love this site!! :rotfl:
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    lesley1960 wrote: »
    never been to a wedding yet that has been spoilt by a child

I have. More than one ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories