MMD: Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:
Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

You’re trawling the local charity shop for bargains and spot a swanky Chloe bag, marked up at just £5. The bag is in pristine condition and is only a few seasons old. It would have cost about £600 new; the ladies who run the shop are obviously oblivious to its true worth. Would you own up and tell them they’re selling it for too little, or grab it before they spotted the mistake?

Click reply to have your say.

Previous MMDs:

Should the whole family forfeit the holiday?

Should Kate return a sale frock with a full price receipt?

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• I would snap the bag up I'm afraid
  • Charity Begins at home in my opinion.

Snap it up and stick it on eBay....
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Not knowing who or what Chloe is (Bratz, maybe??) I'd leave well alone and huff internally to myself that they wanted five pounds for a second hand bag.

;)
  • LimeLight
    LimeLight Posts: 8,038 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd snap it up.
    just passing through.... Nothing to see....
  • Gosia
    Gosia Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I would definitely snap it up! That's what charity shops are for - the occasional cheap bargain - why else shop there!
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Not that I would know one if I saw it, but I would buy it, flog it on ebay and give some of the proceeds to charity.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • avisk
    avisk Posts: 27 Forumite
    Snap it up, sell it on, then split the profits with the charity.
  • lnr
    lnr Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Definitely snap it up! Makes a change for charity shops to underprice something, I can't believe some of the prices in charity shops lately - sometimes more than they cost new in the shops!!
  • If you've posted this dilemma about a year ago then I'd probably say that you should just buy it and not worry about it. However I do spend my Saturday afternoons helping at a local charity shop and a customer pointed out that we had a signed football book for about £2, which they pointed out was too cheap. The price was increased to £20 and a few weeks later I had the pleasure of putting the £20 in the till when someone bought it.

Even though it was only £18 more, its better than nothing. Everyone should be as honest as possible (within reason, ie. not to a large profiting corporation, but especially to a legitimate charity).

Thanks, Craig
  • EDNA
    EDNA Posts: 10 Forumite
    Pay what you genuinely think it's worth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure