MMD: Would you tell a charity shop that a Chloe bag was under-priced?

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd tell them - I think a charity run by volunteers is different to finding a bargain in a private shop where the owner should know their stuff.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cheznal
    cheznal Posts: 5,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would snap it up and waltz into work the next day with it gleaming with glee at my newfound bargain
    Smoke-free since 7/12/2011 :0)
    2019 wins:
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I'd tell them - I think a charity run by volunteers is different to finding a bargain in a private shop where the owner should know their stuff.

Charity shops aren't really like that any more. They certainly have people who are capable of recognising valuable goods, especially china and glassware. They may not be at each shop, but the managers are professional and trained to refer to HQ for valuations on decent stuff. So it's unlikely to unearth a priceless vase in the 50p these days, they are far too smart for that.

The best bargain I ever had was an old cricket book, which I discovered had been signed by the late author. It cost me £1 but it seems it's worth much more. I found it, they didn't.;)
  • jojo2004
    jojo2004 Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    If the (mad) person who donated it paid £600 for the bag, then decided they wanted it to go to a charity shop, and they decided not to sell it on ebay/whatever, i'd say that was their moral decision, not yours - either they could have told the charity shop it was worth a significant amount, in order to benefit the charity, or they might have decided to directly be charitable to the lucky soul who found such a bargain. Either way, the decision is made for you.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than £5 for a Chloe bag new - what is with designer handbags that cost more than second hand cars???!! Maybe that's just me... :rolleyes:
    :grin:If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving isn't for you
  • janaltus
    janaltus Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    A few years ago I was visiting the South Coast for the day and spotted a majolica/Palissy-style ceramic in a charity shop that was priced way under value. I told the woman behind the counter of its probable value (about a hundred quid and certainly not the tenner it was going for) but she was very snobby and arrogant and looked at me like I was a mad man. It was far too heavy and fragile to carry home - even if I had wanted to buy it. She hardly acknowledged my observation and I doubt she upped the sale price. I just hope it went to a good home.

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i feel bad to say i would make the most of the bargain and feel good that i helped a charity whilst helping myself.
    I used to volunteer for a charity shop

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Should I feel bad cos I've been there and done that - Only it was a £10 Prada leather backpack style bag:o Goodness knows how much it cost originally but it is so well loved now.

And should I have told them - well it was Oxfam - and they should have known better really - I mean Prada - who hasn't heard of them?????
    Noli nothis permittere te terere
    Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Contains_Mild_Peril
    Options
    If I really wanted the bag for myself I'd buy it, maybe make an additional donation if I had plenty of spare cash at the time, and make sure I gave that shop some half-decent stuff next time I have a clearout. If I didn't want it for myself I'd mention it discreetly to the staff, unless the only member of staff around was one I knew to be unfriendly. I probably wouldn't buy it to sell on eBay because if I had no original receipt the listing would probably be removed as a suspected fake, with possible repercussions for my eBay account, which I really need.
    I have sometimes bought from charity shops to sell on eBay, but mostly stuff that would not have made that much in the shop (e.g. I bought a tuxedo in a relatively uncommon large size from the sale rail in a local charity shop, so it had been unsold there for at least a couple weeks, but it sold well on eBay).
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Absolutely not, I'd buy it. But I wouldn't know one if I saw one.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • Taffybiker
    Taffybiker Posts: 927 Forumite
    Options
    I would go on the assumption that the shop knew what they were doing, so I would grab the bargain. Charities generally annoy me anyway because such a tiny percentage actually goes to the needy. Most of it goes in other directions. How much does the MD of the RSPCA earn again? Wasn't it in the region of 100K pa?
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure