PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

any alternative to loo roll...................

Options

Comments

• Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    guineapig wrote: »
    I used to have a bottom line:o price of 25 p per loo roll, I wouldn't pay more than that.
    However, prices have gone up so much that, it isn't very realistic.

That's always been my bottom line (no pun intended :rotfl:). I always look for whatever's on offer at our local supermarket and so far I haven't had to go much above that - 27p atm. It's silly to pay a lot of money for something which is going to be flushed away. No matter what I will be sticking to loo roll though - I can't see the rest of the family agreeing to using sponges on sticks, newspaper, flannels etc. Wouldn't fancy it myself either tbh!
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Cheapest, thinnest possible paper is best as it stands far less chance of blocking either your toilet or drains.

Never use newspaper in a modern toilet, not unless you don't mind the risk of calling someone out to rod yer drains! Newspaper and earth closets are fine :)
  • Lunar_Eclipse
    Lunar_Eclipse Posts: 3,060 Forumite
    Options
    moggylover wrote: »
    Cut up newspapers:confused: - well that's people used before our bums got so soft innit?

Yep, that's what my great grandmother used. She kept them in a bucket beside the toilet, along with some small pieces of fabric that got washed.

For some bizarre reason (habit?) she chose not to use the loo rolls available to her (she lived with my Gran & Grandad at the time.) She died at the age of 96, about 13 years ago now.

Now she would have some seriously good OS tips if she were still around. :)
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    guineapig wrote: »
    I used to have a bottom line:o price of 25 p per loo roll, I wouldn't pay more than that.
    However, prices have gone up so much that, it isn't very realistic.

So like my American cousins I have dabbled in "Family cloth", I call 'em tinkle cloths.
    I cut up lots of old cotton t.shirts and had a clean box and a "used box" both in the bathroom and both with lids.

I had enough cloths that I

*reduced length of quote*

I'm reminded now of what I used to do in my first marriage (was married to a Turk, blocked most of it out :rolleyes:). We lived in UK without the benefit of a bidet or hand held bidet... the very simple solution was a large jug of water by the loo. Given that you wash everything ick away, then just dry after, the idea of "family cloth" and jug is my current inkling toward.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Magentasue wrote: »
    I'm sure it was on here that I was reading about 'wee wipes'.

There is no way I'm giving this one a try ...

Here they are:

http://shop.homemattersmost.org.uk/epages/es109934.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es109934_shop/Categories/%22Organic%20Cotton%20Wee%20Wipes%22
    I wouldn't shop anywhere that tried to convince me £7.97 was half of £14.97.....
  • lovelyjubbly
    Options
    we just use Asda cheepie loo rolls at £1.12 for 12, even if you use a lot it does see good value and it is quite strong compared to other cheepie rolls.
    look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.
  • scjs2008
    scjs2008 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I pay 45p for 4 rolls of smart price loo roll which i believe is recycled this lasts me and my 3 kids all week ,,,i can honestly say this is 45p well spent and isnt something i would compromise on

good luck to alltrying to find alternatives i admire u all

s x
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2012 at 10:17AM
    Options
    la de da de da
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, but I really don't fancy the idea of using alternatives to loo roll, I can remember newspaper in my nan and grandads outside loo, yuck, inside was the tracing paper stuff, even more yuck! I do now use value loo roll though, ever since someone on os pointed out that expensive stuff was like flushing fivers down the loo! It's great and lasts for ages, cos my kids don't kidnap rolls of it as it's no longer lovely and soft - no I don't know what they did with the posh stuff!

BTW, Jenni thank you, you've just saved me some time, needed more napkins and there they were smiling out at me from your site!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2012 at 10:17AM
    Options
    la de da de da
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income