Options
124»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Dazza.mk wrote:
    Surcharging isn't allowed under eBay rules, but at the moment it is allowed to discount for using specific payments (bizarre I know), therefore it is possible to discount for cheaper methods than Paypal

You might want to double check that as there doesn't appear to be anything in the ebay rules that allows discounting if not using paypal. The absence of a statement saying that something is not allowed is not the same as saying something *is* allowed.

Also on the unmoderated forums there have been cases where sellers have had their auctions pulled where discounts for cheques have been offered, but of course ebay are not consistent so even that doesn't mean that it is specifically disallowed.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RichyRich
    RichyRich Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    PayPal is awful! I never use it on my auctions and the only purpose it serves me is Quidco payments.

Bank Transfer is much better; one auction someone won an auction in the morning, nipped down to the bank, paid money in, item was sent same day and he had it in his hand the next. Plus has the guarantee of being yours, no possibility of chargebacks.

The general consensus is that discounts for non-paypal payments are allowed. For example:-
    Postage and packing is 80p. Please deduct 50p if paying by cheque, postal order, banker's draft or bank transfer

Best not mentioning paypal in your discount options.

There are better and cheaper options available, even discounting Bank Transfer and Deposit. Nochex is one example. Thing is PayPal's all integrated with eBay so it's so much easier for buyers just to click that. Also when you complete checkout and click, say, "I want to pay by personal cheque", if the seller accepts PayPal the buyer asks if they're sure with an enormous message of "Are you sure you don't want to pay by PayPal?" and a list of its virtues. It fails to mention the negative impact to sellers of using it. I never pay by PayPal unless it's the only method a seller accepts.

Rich
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,257 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RichyRich wrote:
    The general consensus is that discounts for non-paypal payments are allowed. For example:-

I assume that was taken from someone's auction text which doesn't mean it is allowed. There are people selling adult goods and counterfeit objects as well, but again that doesn't prove that ebay allow them it just means that they haven't been reported yet.

As far as I can see from the terms and conditions all forms of surcharging apart from one or two noticeable exceptions, are disallowed. offering a discount for cheques is surcharging by default so unless someone can point out where ebay say this is allowed I wouldn't suggest anyone risk it.
    RichyRich wrote:
    I never pay by PayPal unless it's the only method a seller accepts.

Rich

So what happens if you pay by direct bank transfer and you don't get your goods. I admire you for being so trusting but as much as I like ebay, I don't trust the system much so as a buyer it is paypal all the way for me.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure