paypal charging £0.98

Options
hi a friend of mine sold a item on ebay for £22.99 including postage but paypal took £0.98 for the buyer paying by credit card is there any other way of selling items without being charged for paying though paypal

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think Paypal fees are extortionate. The only way to get round it is by asking them to pay by cheque, postal order or cash. Some people ask for the paypal charges back from the buyer but I think it's against ebay policy :confused:
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,201 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Paypal fees are extortionate. The only way to get round it is by asking them to pay by cheque, postal order or cash. Some people ask for the paypal charges back from the buyer but I think it's against ebay policy :confused:

Yes it is against ebay policies to surcharge for paypal.

To the OP, all costs should be calculated in advance of the auction so that it is possible to tell how much an item needs to be sold for to make a profit. Both ebay and paypal fees can be a bit hefty and turn a profit into a barely break even.

Never sell anything without knowing your bottom line figures.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rrwfotr
    rrwfotr Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I always state on my listing if paying by paypal to add and extra 5% therefore if they wish to pay via paypal then they know the extra costs.
  • pinky8
    pinky8 Posts: 464 Forumite
    Options
    The problem with asking for an extra 5% if using paypal is that it is against ebay rules and you could have your listing pulled.

The best way is how soolin said.
    It costs nothing to be nice...:)

Mortgage 01/05/07- £138200.13 (Start of challenge)
    Mortgage 01/07/08- £128868.93

Aiming to Reduce mortgage by £20000 in 3 years :)
  • Spinner
    Spinner Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    rrwfotr wrote:
    I always state on my listing if paying by paypal to add and extra 5% therefore if they wish to pay via paypal then they know the extra costs.

You realise that that's against eBay rules and you could (in theory) have your listing reported and cancelled?

It's tough, but it's not too bad provided you realise this and plan accordingly. I used to impose a surcharge, but when I realised it wasn't allowed I stopped doing so - and had a pretty fair eBay summer.
  • rrwfotr
    rrwfotr Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    I've been doing it for ages and none of my listings have ever been pulled. Paylpal is a ebay company and they just want to screw people therefore I give them the option to send payments via the ebay prefered method which generates them ever more profit thats all.
  • trinnylilac
    trinnylilac Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    Another thing you can do is say that you will only accept Paypal if the item/s are over a certain amount.

I tend to take Paypal rather than have the hassel of taking a cheque to the bank and waiting for it to clear .

I do wonder though how the sellers of 99p items make any money .
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Options
    Another thing you can do is say that you will only accept Paypal if the item/s are over a certain amount.
    What if a buyer tried to pay by paypal anyway? If you returned the payment and the buyer complained to ebay, would you rely on ebay to side with you on the matter?
  • trinnylilac
    trinnylilac Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    Options
    masonic wrote:
    What if a buyer tried to pay by paypal anyway? If you returned the payment and the buyer complained to ebay, would you rely on ebay to side with you on the matter?

Just state on your auction that you will only accept paypal on auctions that end over £5 for example. Otherwise you will only accept cheques or postal orders.

As long as you are upfront then that is fine :D
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Options
    Just state on your auction that you will only accept paypal on auctions that end over £5 for example. Otherwise you will only accept cheques or postal orders.

As long as you are upfront then that is fine :D
    I agree, but I think you missed my point. Ebay cannot be relied upon to make a common-sense decision. If they see a complaint from a buyer saying that you listed paypal in your payments accepted, then refused their payment, it could go either way.

Edit: Just to add - I think you could state it, but I wouldn't want to risk enforcing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure