PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya guys,
    Kaat, sorry about your cat, ours died at 25, it's hard hon, Hugs to him and you xx
    SM know what you mean hon Hugs xx
    Annelouise, hope the move/interview goes well xx
    AG love looking in Waitrose but can't afford to buy:eek:
    Thanks IOIWE, maybe I'll have another go:D

just been up to mr m re chicken, I took OH with me moaning all the way. Even though I'm buying for mr & mrs,he has to moan that he wouldn't eat that:mad:

Bought 4 x chicken
    4x burgers
    4x sausages

So I'm now going to sit and decide what do do with it all, cook meals up and then freeze or freeze and get it out later then freeze extra.

Mr needs watch battery/hair cut and I thought it would have to come out of budget, which would put a big hole in it,£12.00:eek: but his son came and it'll come out of personal budget instead,:j :T
    £53.26 spent leaving £46.74 17days to go not bad

Must update sig

Love and hugs to all xx
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

Just thought I would mention that Tesco have their vanilla extract reduced from £2.69 to £2.42. I know, not much of a saving but better than nothing :)
    They also have Gressingham whole duck (3kg) for half price - £8.67, which works out at £2.89/kg

I wonder if sales of hobnobs have plummeted since Twinks recipe came out :)

In other news Guess what's returning for good on Oct 6th :D. I expect all our grocery budgets will double.
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    :j OOOOOHHH Wispa bars back! brilliant! :j (not so good for the figure though, but soooo scrummy...) Thanks Blairweech... Bit of a price hike tho :rolleyes:

SFT - Hope your OB gets a job sorted soon too - hope he doesn't get too down about it either, that's the worst thing I think...

Kaat - Thoughts are with you love, take care x x:heartpuls

Nikki - well planned and a great stock too... you won't have to shop for anything at the moment - except the usual F&V that always sneeks in, hehe :D . Hope you're up and about soon x x x

AnneLouise - hope the interview goes well for you, I'm sure it will - Good luck!:j

Have just got back from Lidl's and Tesco's and have spent £35.09 (will update siggy in a minute) - Am stocked up on all cleaning and household stuff, have plenty in the freezer so shouldn't need anything until next week now. I'm about to start baking some muffins, twinks and bits for lunches next week while cooking for dinner so will see how we go - fingers crossed :rolleyes2
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quick heads up in case this is of use to anybody.

I noticed in the newspaper thread on the vouchers board that today's News of the world contains a voucher for £5.00 off a £30 shop in Tesco (valid until the 16th August). The paper costs 95p so as I don't normally buy that paper it's really only a saving of £4.05 but better than nothing. :D

Pink
  • savingfortravel
    Options
    Thanks Denise

Just preparing our dinner:
    HM glamorgan sausages, with value potatoes (I agree good quality but don't leave them in plastic bag too long) whoopsied parsnips and whoopsied carrots.
    Dessert: HM blueberry crumble cake with garden grown raspberries and creme fraiche.
    So proud of our MS efforts and being able to share them with you guys... looking at the dreadful weather glad we spent our time in the kitchen using up bits and bobs before our holiday.
    Lovely time with my lovely OB

SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • gailey_2
    gailey_2 Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Options
    Right have braved the rain and picked blackberries today for jams and crumbles.

I have been thinking about our biggest challange in my house is particuarly with hubby is crips,cakes and biscuits!

So sounds mad

Can I make crisps?
    Any good rceipies for cakes chocolate or sponge, recipies for cookies and flapjacks im hopig if I bake more it might be our saviour.

Is baking actually cheaper?
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    Gailey - I have the same problem, I can easily add £30 to my shopping bill with all the cakes etc I buy from the store. So, baking definitely IS cheaper (unless you follow Nigella Lawsons recipes :) ). HOWEVER, it is only *healthier* if you do not eat all the cakes you make - this is very very difficult to do as they will be so yummy.
    Plus home made is not full of the additives, preservatives, colourants etc which shop bought is.

Here is the recipe for Millies cookies. Check out the Mega Index for pages and pages of cake.

Yes, you can make crisps, slice some potates really thinly and fry them in a little oil until crispy. They are nice made with slices of parsnip etc. You might have to soak them in cold water before cooking to get the starch out, I can't remember. There are threads about it, will have a look in a minute.
    HM crisps
    Root veg crisps

Has anyone tried value pork? I know everyone says to stay away frm value meat, but this is already cut up into nice chunks...
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • princess_leia_3
    Options
    Blairweech - I have used other value meat and not had a problem so I would try it and see. I am going to look out for it next time now LOL

Gailey - Also try the Twinks hob nobs - I am sure he will love them like we wll do - yummy!! Also there was a custard biccie recipe a few pages back that I haven't tried yet but everyone seems to love them!

I have had 3 NSD so far which is good for me ;) I resisted temptation to get more 50p deals today and have made a saus cass for the freezer with saus left over from BBQ!!
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Gailey If you look at the first page of this thread on the Recipe Index there are links to lots of yummy cake & biscuit recipes :D
    Blairweech wrote: »
    Yes, you can make crisps, slice some potates really thinly and fry them in a little oil until crispy... You might have to soak them in cold water before cooking to get the starch out, I can't remember...

:eek: Be very careful if you're going to put wet things in hot oil as that can start a fire! If they're starchy, just pat them dry with a bit of kitchen roll or a clean dry teatowel instead ;)

The best way to do homemade crisps is to slice really thinly, drizzle with a tiny bit of oil and then bake in the oven ;) Try these threads: Homemade crisps, Making crisps, Healthy vegetable crisps

Nikki x
    :A
  • philsmum
    philsmum Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Evening to all M.Sers

Gailey, I have been imagining you on the Vespa with all your shopping :rotfl: do be careful.

Angelnikki You have given me motivation to check my freezer and cupboards
    Good job really cos I have spent most of this weeks budget, but
    hopefully will not have to spend any more this week, think I will
    take to my bed until next Friday, I could probably plan menus:D

Yesterday made fruit cobbler but didnt grease the dish so was
    hard to get out, "stardrops" to rescue to clean out dish.
    Thankyou everyone for all your recipes and good ideas what an
    inspiration you all are.:T
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills