Bankruptcy Credit Reference File Clean Up - Discussion

Options

Comments

• Nattster
    Nattster Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, is the OP advice still current? I notice that it was posted in 2008. Have there been many changes since then? Can I still obtain a copy of my credit report for £2? If so, how?

Many thanks
    Nat
  • super7
    super7 Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:40PM
    Options
    Hi all
    Been a while since I called on the services of this excellent resource (genuinely a mine of invaluable info and source of comfort and reassurance for all, at what is, let's face it, not an easy time).

Anyway, enough of the smoke blowing =D.

Since my discharge in November 2010 I've never got round to doing a file clean up. I know :-/ but I've never felt the need for any credit since then (lucky enough to have been in quite a well paid job, so been able to save and buy things outright). However, I'm now in a position where prospective employers will be looking at my credit record.

So I've contacted Equifax/Callcredit and nothing is showing apart from my old Orange phone A/C, which then migrates to EE and my basic Co-Op bank A/C (a few searches by car insurance companies but purely for I.D. purposes). Can't get anything out of Experian at the moment 'cos their online service is down :-[ but assuming (hoping) this will be similar.

So, my question is, given that I can see no record of any bankruptcy/bad debt, can I assume this has all been wiped, now that I'm well past the 6 year point or will anybody doing a credit check be able to see anything extra (I'm aware entries in "The Gazette" remain in perpetuity, should anybody be minded to look)?

Thanks in anticpation.....

Just as an aside, given the above, do you think it would be worthwhile approaching one of the major card providers to try and rebuild my credit score or would I be better of with the likes of Vanquish initially?
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Nattster wrote: »
    Hi, is the OP advice still current? I notice that it was posted in 2008. Have there been many changes since then? Can I still obtain a copy of my credit report for £2? If so, how?

Many thanks
    Nat

Yes, and there are links here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report

the sections called "Your right to check your file (costs £2)"
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    super7 wrote: »
    So, my question is, given that I can see no record of any bankruptcy/bad debt, can I assume this has all been wiped, now that I'm well past the 6 year point or will anybody doing a credit check be able to see anything extra (I'm aware entries in "The Gazette" remain in perpetuity, should anybody be minded to look)?

No, you see what they would.

May be worth a punt with a credit card or a builder one, but just be careful not to overdo no. of applications.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • super7
    Options
    Thank fermi. Knew you'd come up with the goods. Not planning on getting loads of credit, just thought I might get a card to consolidate my rating. Don't really need it, everything goes on the Mrs' B/Card and gets paid off in full (! to coin a phrase =D ) every month. Nice to know that the credit rating agencies et al have done the right thing and kept up to date though (Experian's in now and that's squeaky clean as well).

Has to be said that overall the whole exercise has been relatively painless. If anybody's needing to do it (B/R) bite the bullet and get it done. Just make sure it's a lesson learned and an opportunity to turn over a new leaf. Don't go back to your old ways.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    super7 wrote: »
    Thank fermi. Knew you'd come up with the goods. Not planning on getting loads of credit, just thought I might get a card to consolidate my rating. Don't really need it, everything goes on the Mrs' B/Card and gets paid off in full (! to coin a phrase =D ) every month. Nice to know that the credit rating agencies et al have done the right thing and kept up to date though (Experian's in now and that's squeaky clean as well).

Has to be said that overall the whole exercise has been relatively painless. If anybody's needing to do it (B/R) bite the bullet and get it done. Just make sure it's a lesson learned and an opportunity to turn over a new leaf. Don't go back to your old ways.

What on earth do you mean consolidate your rating ?

Do you mean credit rating ?
  • teepee1
    teepee1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, been checking my Experian and Equifax reports as my six years since bankruptcy is nearly up. Generally both are looking tidy now, however I have details of one debt covered by my bankruptcy showing up on Equifax. It makes no reference to a Default Date, shows "Status - Settled" and "Date Satisfied - 03/01/15", however in the Customer Account Update, the Status is shown as a Partial Settlement, with Explanation - "Payment received as a full and final settlement although the payment would not fully clear the balance."

I believe that this phrase may be indicative of a default/bankruptcy. My bankruptcy date was 11 Aug 11, and discharge date was 11 Aug 12, so I would expect details of my bankruptcy,and any debts included thereunder, to drop away from my credit reports on 11 Aug 17.

My question is, if I leave the details of this old debt as it is shown, would the Partial Settlement Status and Explanation narrative have any impact on any credit applications I may make once the rest of my Credit Report is cleared up? Or should I contact the lenders for the debt described above to add a Default Date of 11 Aug 11 and amend the Date Satisfied to no later than 11 Aug 12, so that it drops away from my Report at the same time as my bankruptcy?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
  • super7
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    What on earth do you mean consolidate your rating ?

Do you mean credit rating ?

Exactly. Can't see any reason for me needing credit in the future but you never know. I know from experience (I was an IFA in a recently past life) that having only your phone contract on your credit record doesn't exactly enhance your credit rating. Just thought a credit card operated as I currently use my debit card (ie with a balance clearing DDM) would be worthwhile at this stage.
  • CMcl12
    CMcl12 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys looking some advice. I went bankrupt 2010. So I'm 6.5 years post bankruptcy. The mortgage I went bankrupt on and a credit card are still on my credit reports. I've made contact with both lenders to get them to change default date. I have a DCA chasing me for an overdraft. The overdraft was included in BR in 2010 and it was only £100. I've recently found old paperwork and a few DD came out of the overdraft current account post bankruptcy. I assumed the account would be frozen but it doesn't seem to have been. I had forgotten to cancel DD's. Also, there's about £300 of charges added on for DD bouncing and other charges. Is this my fault or the lender? Do I owe this money?
  • Rscott93
    Options
    Hi guys.

I was made bankrupt 28/02/2017.

I am due to be discharged from bankruptcy next week and have only just noticed that basically all of the lenders have left my account details as "default", some even marked as a default up to this month!

I know that in a few days, I will be sending a letter to the lenders asking them to correct the status of the debts to "settled" or "satisfied" as per the data protection act. HOWEVER, I am under the impression I need to firstly write to them asking them to change the default dates on my accounts to no later than 28/02/2017, and to include a copy of my bankrupty order.

Is there a template for this kind of letter?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback