We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

over spend and over eat

Options

Comments

• Skint_Lynne
    Skint_Lynne Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi All,

Managed to get 4 job applications finished today got another 1 to do and then am going to register with an agency. Wouldn't mind getting something with a company car, had that before and it was great. Haven't done too badly with eating today, had a packet of crisps after my lunch, then dinner, half a can of tomato soup (no bread with it), then mince and potatoes. No eating between meals and no biscuits or sweets today, but will need to get back into the 5 a day thing, and then start swimming again.

Was hoping for a no spend day, but have parted with 21.95. £20 for petrol and 1.95 for a copy of the grocer (for job adverts). Will look at their website from now on cause there are plenty of jobs on that, and will save myself the money for the magazine.

Going for a bath now, will check in later.
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    piglet6 wrote: »
    Evening everyone! :hello:

Well today I managed to walk home again, which was good :T , and the only spends today were in Boots (Piriton tablets and a new toothbrush - both essentials) and Sainsbury's - some milk (also essential), but when I bought the milk I succumbed to a bottle of wine - not essential :o ...but I suppose it could have been worse! :rolleyes: At least I managed not to buy the reduced custard slices, the reduced choc chip cookies and the 3 for 2 chocolate bars...:rotfl:

Puzzledbubbles - look on the bright side...it could have been toast and butter and cheese - marmite is much better!! :p

Jo - hope you're OK and last night's shift went well... ;)

Tara - welcome to the thread. :D

Piglet

Thanks for the welcome. Good idea to combine cutting down on £s and lbs! I am dying for some chocolate though.:o
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • Skint_Lynne
    Options
    Hi Tara,

What sorts of things do you do to save your money, you seem to be doing well with it. Are you still at home or do you rent a property just now? When do you think you'll have enough for your deposit. Are you moving in yourself or do you have another half?

I'm very nosey, aren't I!!:rotfl: I am in debt (a lot), but most of it is due to buying the shop. I've done a personal programme to get out of it, I am a member of my local credit union and will get low interest loans from them to pay off credit cards, bank loan and parents. Should be back in the black in about 2-3 years. Then I will work on the mortgage. I'm hoping that the credit union will offer mortgages by then and I will switch it over to them. I think that it is a brilliant organisation and can't champion them enough. I don't think they are fantastic for savings accounts, but to be honest, I would not have any savings if it didn't exist. the credit union works for me but might not be for everyone.

I've got 2 claims in for credit card charges which are at the FOS, so hopefully I'll hear some good news about them soon.

Glad you've found your way out of the tumbleweed.

SL x
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Tara,

What sorts of things do you do to save your money, you seem to be doing well with it. Are you still at home or do you rent a property just now? When do you think you'll have enough for your deposit. Are you moving in yourself or do you have another half?

I'm very nosey, aren't I!!:rotfl: I am in debt (a lot), but most of it is due to buying the shop. I've done a personal programme to get out of it, I am a member of my local credit union and will get low interest loans from them to pay off credit cards, bank loan and parents. Should be back in the black in about 2-3 years. Then I will work on the mortgage. I'm hoping that the credit union will offer mortgages by then and I will switch it over to them. I think that it is a brilliant organisation and can't champion them enough. I don't think they are fantastic for savings accounts, but to be honest, I would not have any savings if it didn't exist. the credit union works for me but might not be for everyone.

I've got 2 claims in for credit card charges which are at the FOS, so hopefully I'll hear some good news about them soon.

Glad you've found your way out of the tumbleweed.

SL x

I've been saving for a few years, just really decided to step it up in the last coupla years. I read this site and started doing all the basics - bringing my own lunch to work, home cooking everything (it helps that I don't really like takeaways and ready meals), walking everywhere (I'm lucky that I can walk to work, I realise that not everyone is so fortunate), buying reduced stuff for the freezer (Tesco and Co-op brilliant for end-of-evening reductions - I'm not obsessive about it but will call in if I'm passing), shopping around for EVERYTHING, only buying clothes, handbags, jewellery etc in the sales (I don't even look at the full priced stuff and get kitted out for next to nothing), shopping in charity shops (clothes, art, furniture etc), eating out during early bird hours (which often last till 7:30pm - perfectly normal time to go for dinner IYAM!), getting free samples of stuff wherever possible, blagging free makeup at the counters, etc etc.

My savings are in ISAs (always max my allowance) and the Halifax RS. I have got into the habit of transferring money from my Halifax current a/c to the websaver so as not to miss out on the extra 0.68% interest - sad!!! :rotfl: I am also opening a First Direct a/c for the £200 bonus and a NatWest e-saver for the £50 bonus. Every little helps.

I rent in Belfast - rents are cheap here and house prices are down 19% in a year so I'm quids in! Saving for an eventual house deposit but not expecting to take the plunge till about 2010 or so - I'll wait for the trough or as close to it as poss. I expect my deposit to be a large % of the house price. I've chcked my credit report and it's squeaky clean.

I have an OH (we live together) but if we ever broke up I'd be fine financially and still able to get a mortgage - I'm far better with money than him anyway, but he is picking up my MS habits! :D Utilities are very reasonable - we have gas heating and rates (equivalent of council tax) are included in our rent. This is normal in Northern Ireland.

So with no car, kids or mortgage my disposable income is high! I could probably save about £800 per month if I tried. Currently I am not doing too well on the impulse spends - I have been naughty and bought a few sale 'bargains' that I didn't really need this month - most have been returned! Luckily I always keep receipts!

My weakness is travel - I love holidays and wouldn't give them up. Ya only live once! I can happily do without lattes, sandwich shop stuff, magazines, designer bags, expensive makeup etc etc etc - but can't live without travelling! So there you go. Don't worry about being nosey, aren't we all here to find out about each other!

Good luck with the charges case, keep us posted.

Agree about CU, great organisation. I just love their ethos. Same with the Building Societies - well, the ones that are left and havent sold out!

Phew. I'm away for a lie down.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • wanttobeasaver
    Options
    Evening all:hello:

Well today not too bad eating wise done"OK!" Nothing brillant like but i walked about 3 miles 2nite which was good aafter working 8 hours without sitting down thats what happens when you work for your self.........

Hope everyone else doing ok:rotfl:
    Save 1500 - (Monzo Card Pot by Dec 2021) 1020/1500 
    12 NSD MAY 3/12
    Lose 21lb by July .......................4 /21LB 
  • Skint_Lynne
    Options
    Hi,

Done a big reply to Tara's post and internet crashed, would take me ages to do it all again, will do it tomorrow as I suspect that Tara is in bed now, she will be exhausted after all that writing!!

I have not had anything since dinner, no chocolate, sweets or biscuits today, will see how long I can keep this up for.

Nite all,

SL x
  • Bowski_1011
    Bowski_1011 Posts: 1,041 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone, thought I'd join in this one coz it's a great thread, that's not to say the others aren't but this is what I need. I've been lurking for ages and thinking of doing my SOA and I will once I get into the habit of posting. So for now I'd just like to say hello and Well Done to everyone thats made these small changes, they definately count!!

I need to lose about 6 stone. So far I've lost 3 stone in the last 2.5 years. It's coming off slowly but surely. I go to slimming world but I don't stay for the meetings and I dont even do the eating plan, for me it's getting weighed is what I need to stop me from pigging out all day everyday!

I'm on here most nights so I'll try and keep up. Good luck everyone!!
    Initial Debt July 2020 - £6,772.80
    Debt now Jan 2021 - £6,208.21
    Overpayment pot - £0
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I would like to join here too. I over spend constantly. clothes, chocolate, books, I had stopped for a while but this last month, not good AT ALL.

I will be back with a plan bt really should go to bed now.

see you in the morning well evening! xxxxxxxx
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • bluejeans
    bluejeans Posts: 552 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning all, I'm back. what a day and a half yesterday, just going through posts now. got loads to catch up on. Will be posting and updating, just wanted to say. Hiya first

Jo x
    1st January 2012 £2500 and 56lbs debts
    22nd Oct 2014 £1500 and 42lbs debts
  • OliveOyl_2
    OliveOyl_2 Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Options
    Piglet, wine *is* low fat :o

(I'm on a low fat diet....)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories