PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you cook trout ?

Options

Comments

• chrislee765
    Options
    I have some fresh trout that has been frozen, its defrosted and needs to be used. I dont want to eat it today (going out to eat) but im willing to cook it and freeze it.
    I thought about making a fish pie (using this recipe).
    theres a few things im not sure on.

Is trout a white fish?
    How do you steam it with this plate thing?
    Is there an easy way to debone it?

Thanks for your help :)

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - trout's definitely pink.

Not a clue about the steaming method.

And as for boning - well, if you flake away the top half (very gently) then you can lift out most of the skeleton in one go. BUT you will need to really carefully check both top and bottom halves to make sure no bones left.

Sorry - not much use am I :confused:
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could always poach it in a deep roasting tin in the oven, not sure of temps but I'm sure if you checked Google you'd find something. Throw in some sliced onion, some peppercorns and some slices of lemon and poach it. Wouldn't take too long I don't think.

This link should be of some use.

http://www.britishtrout.co.uk/tips.htm

Good luck, I'm sure it will be good however you cook it. Just don't overcook it.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • DilbertJones
    Options
    As above!!!
  • DilbertJones
    Options
    oh yeah, must be simple. and I have already filetted the trout
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I put pesto over it, cover with clingfilm and microwave for about 4mins. Tastes yummy.

You can also cover in bacon and cook in same way.
  • DilbertJones
    Options
    well i got 2 fillets wrapped up in mushrooms, spring onions & cherry toms, in like a sandwich cooking in the oven, with some potatos & carrots to go with it

only problem is no wine!!!!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I sprinkle tandoori spice over it, wrap it up in foil and cook in the oven.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Loobysaver
    Loobysaver Posts: 764 Forumite
    Options
    My Dad has given me a freshly caught river trout. He has gutted it but what do I do with it now??

Do I just wrap it in foil and bung in the oven? If so, what temp and how long do you reckon?

As you can tell I'm useless with fish!!!:confused:
  • amyandoli
    amyandoli Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    i would mix up breadcrumbs, parsley, butter, lemon zest and juice, and press on one side of the trout (i remove skin and bones and cut into chunks as neither me nor dh like it). put a little oil over and grill 6-7mins and serve with hm potato wedges or salad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure