PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

quick question ...when is the right time to bake a Christmas cake? (merged)

I always make my Christmas cakes around now, half term-ish, but each Christmas I promise myself that I'll make it sooner to give it longer maturing time, but I never get around to it.
Does anyone know for certain that a cake made in september is better than one made in october?

Comments

• Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My mum has made them in September and October depending on how organised she is. She says that as long as you put some booze in it each month up to Xmas it'll be fine. I do warn you that you can get drunk just sniffing my mum's cake though!
  • rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Did mine 2 weeks ago.

Will never forget my first Xmas cake though....ability to get people drunk at 100 paces!

These days I do a non-alchoholic version using cranberry juice as one of my OH's daughters has a thing against alcohol. Or that's how it started anyway. People still like it...and I don't have to spend the extra cash of booze just to stick in a Xmas cake...far better to put the cash towards some of the 'good stuff'.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • cheekymole
    cheekymole Posts: 3,416 Forumite
    Yes, that's right, as long as you soak the fruit for a couple of days before and then, once it's cooked, keep it wrapped in the greaseproof in an airtight container and feed it once a month with alocohol, you will have a deliciously moist Christmas cake. I've made mine in December before now and just fed it every couple of days and it was still just as nice (so I'm told anyway, I hate the stuff!!!)
    I haven't got one!
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    am making mine this weekend. always do do it first weekend of half term hols. no idea why, just habbit i guess.
  • In my family Xmas cakes and puddings should be made Bonfire night!
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    I did a cake decorating course and the tutor (a qualified cake decoarator who ran her own business) said that if you want your cake to 'mature' quicker because you've made it last minute, then freeze it, let it thaw fully and then decorate. She said she makes her cakes last week in november/first week in december ready for xmas. i tried this method with a fruit cake(non-alcoholic) i made earlier in the year and the freezing process did no harm to the cake.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Traditionally, Christmas Cakes were made at Easter (when eggs were at they cheapest).

These days, recipes don't feature in the magazines/shop recipe cards until around now (or, couple of weeks ago).

Christmas cake can be left to mature for a couple of years with a regular top up of alcohol (the alcohol acting as a preservative - but, the cake must be wrapped and stored well).

My boys made their first this week and it smells delicious! But, we'll be eating that *this* year. (Children don't have the patience to wait a year or two ;) )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • neets
    neets Posts: 53 Forumite
    Ok, i'm about to make my first attempt at a christmas cake, and have chosen Delia's recipe, only problem being it states that you have to wrap brown paper round the outside of the cake tin for protection while it's cooking. I haven't got any brown paper :( therefore, my question is, is it essential to do this, and/or has anybody any suggestions for alternatives to brown paper??

Any help in preventing a potential disaster would be much appreciated! :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Yep - greaseproof paper will work just as well. It is a good idea to help protect the top of the cake from burning.

We have another very recent thread on Christmas Cake so I'll merge this post into it shortly.

Best of luck :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Newspaper does the job just as well....smells lovely as it bakes!

edit -you don't need string either - I just staple strips of folded newspaper together and wrap them around the tin and secure with a couple of paperclips
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure