We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    oly2c wrote: »
    My existing phone has a facility for storing and dialling the prefix (18185) which I can override for weekend calls via BT.
    I would like to replace the old phone with a Cordless one but can't find any reference for such a provision on phone web sites.
    Does anyone know if there any cordless phones with this function?
    If I didn't have an Orchid, I could use the Phonebook in my DECT handsets to store people's numbers with a 18185 prefix (i.e. each 11 digit number becomes a 16 digit one). That requires individual number storage of course and, at weekends (when my calls are inclusive), I would not want to use the 18185 prefixed number.

Or you could store 18185 as a 'person' and then key in the phone number afterwards.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • oly2c
    oly2c Posts: 51 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2011 at 2:08PM
    Options
    It would be impractical to store numbers with a prefix in memory as many calls are one off or infrequent.
    Storing 18185 as a phone book entry doesn't work on my existing cordless as when the stored prefix is accessed you can't add more numbers without editing the number which then replaces the prefix.
    I worry that my main phone is getting elderly and will need to be replaced eventually. Free weekend calls are no problem as pressing mute stops the addition of the prefix. I'm not sure if a new non cordless phone would have the prefix facility either.
    if i had known then what i know now
  • Heinz
    Options
    oly2c wrote: »
    Storing 18185 as a phone book entry doesn't work on my existing cordless as when the stored prefix is accessed you can't add more numbers without editing the number which then replaces the prefix.
    Surely you can access the Phonebook entry named 'Cheap' (in which 18185 is stored as the number) and, while that is dialling, you can add the number you're calling?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • frank58
    Options
    Most phone memories will store long enough numbers for eg 181850201234567 so you could have two numbers for people (day & evening). But BT will give you free calls 24/7 to landline & 0870 & 1845 for around £5 month if you go for on-line billing and a 12 month contract
  • haskins
    Options
    i need to say no to 0870 and 0845
  • Currently paying £16.28 per month to BT on a one month rolling contract. Am very attracted to the Primus £7.99 deal.

Note that they have poor Customer Relations, but all I want is Line Rental. I don't make house calls, so this is purely for ADSL.

There does seem to be a snag, however. I am a Sky customer, and pay £12.50pm reduced to £7.50 for my broadband, because I take my calls via SkyTalk.

Does anyone know if you can continue to take your calls with an alternative vendor when you are a Primus customer?

I note that there is a difference between CALLS packages and OVERRIDES?
  • Heinz
    Options
    No, you cannot have another company as your default calls provider (CPS or CPS/WCLI) unless you pay line rental direct to BT.

As you have Sky Talk, you will probably be aware that you also cannot use indirect access providers like 18185 and 1899 with a CPS/WCLI calls provider.
  • SirDigbyChickenCeasar
    SirDigbyChickenCeasar Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2011 at 7:08PM
    Options
    Thanks for that Heinz. I feel that Martin's plug for Primus would greatly benefit from the clarification you have offered.

(Slight tangent) What do the acronyms you refer to stand for?

I trust they serve to clarify the difference between Overrides and Call Packages?

Edt: Have found a previous post in the forums that explain these terms. Cannot post the link as I am a new user/URLs are stripped from the edited post!
  • blueled
    blueled Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    katykitten wrote: »
    the moral of my story is this, its not always productive to save money - think about the time and energy you will have to spend to resolve issues when it all goes wrong and the inconvenience of not having a land line over the xmas period and in adverse weather conditions

The best thing written as far as I read. Sometimes "moneysaving" leads to moneyspending.

I tried switching my landline from plusnet to primus, but today I got the following email:
    Order Rejection - please contact us

Thank you for choosing Primus Saver, the groundbreaking new phone service from Primus, where free calls are standard.*

We want you to start enjoying the service as soon as possible but have experienced difficulties in processing your registration details.

To help us process your order, please contact us as soon as possible to confirm your details. Simply call our friendly customer helpline number 0800 036 3839 and we will be happy to help.

Yours Sincerely,

Azhar Rifai
    Customer Service Manager - Primus UK

and I am happy that the move didn't happen after all. I had bad experience from Primus through the telephone once (back when they didn't have any online registrations) and this time I tried to give it a second go through the web forms. I am 100% sure that my information were correct, since I did the same thing with O2, it went through and then I decided to cancel for other reasons.

Try to find a cheaper package, but not the cheapest. The only free thing in life is the cheese in the mousetrap.
    Together we stand, divided we fall
  • moobags960
    Options
    Hi can anyone help, i need some info on phoniex telco. my grandad (nearly 90) has been reccomended this company by someone but we are not sure he is being scammed. he was told it is the cheapist for him compared to BT.
    Can anyone help? many thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport