🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Little_Green_2
    Options
    tjprescott wrote: »
    hello, I was wondering, can Plusnet change your tarrif? I had an email from them stating that from the 4th January, we will no longer get our 300 inclusive international minutes! Which is disapointing seeings as this was one of the reasons we went with them ! :mad:

Apparently they will also be reducing the price of their Talk Anytime package from £5 extra a month to £3.50 which will make it one of the cheapest anytime calls deals on the market.
  • OldGreyFox
    OldGreyFox Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2011 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Widows_Son wrote: »
    Why do you say that? Are you guessing?

Try reading the terms and conditions.

"Important conditions
    [FONT=New BT,New BT][FONT=New BT,New BT]Even if you’re getting one of the benefits we listed on page 2, you may not be able to get BT Basic if you have any of the following:
    • a phone service provided by another company "
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • danny_x
    danny_x Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beware of Primus

I used to have my line rental from BT and default calls through TalkTalk. I use 1899 for most of my calls. I moved away for 2 moneysaving reasons:
    1. They stopped allowing me to use BT with an access number, so that I started being charged for services such as caller ID, because I could no longer make the required number of BT calls to keep it free.
    2. I have 2 phone lines (one is for work), and the direct debit discount was only applied to one line rental.

I went to Primus, and opted for the £99 yearly rental rather than the monthly one, for convenience as much as anything. It was difficult to check on what exactly the tariff includes, as the information is scattered among several apparently unrelated websites, andis not accessible via the home pages. I thought that both the annual and the monthly rentals included free evening and weekend calls to landlines. On my first bill, I found that I'd been charged for evening calls. I phoned the Indian call centre, and they agreed that a mistake had been made, and the money would be credited back (it was only a few pence). The next month the charges appeared again, this time for a few pounds. I called them again, and this time I was told that the annual rental includes free weekends only. I am pretty sure that this has changed, but I can't find it written anywhere. Has this happened to anybody else out there?

The otherthing to be aware of is that, for some incomprehensible reason, although the rates for calling other mobiles falls at weekends, as you would expect, the rate for calling Orange shoots up. I thought that this must be a misprint, so I mentioned it to the Callcentre before I joined up, but they confirmed that it is correct.

Overall, I regret changing to Primus. Nothing has gone wrong with the line yet, but I'm dreading what the service will be like if it does. I have kept my broadband with PlusNet.
  • katykitten
    Options
    just avoid primus like the plauge if you dont want high blood pressure from eternal frustration from people in the call centre who appear to be unable to deviate from a pre-set script and 'supervisors' who dont call you back! id rather pay a couple of quid more a month and get a local, good quality service from post office home phone
    Primus have agreed not to charge me the £95 cancellation fee due to their poor service but i hav yet to see if it appears on a bill somewhere in the next few months, watch this space
  • Lisa_H
    Lisa_H Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone, I have my line rental with BT, calls with Talk Talk and broadband with AOL. AOL offered me this deal for £22.19 per month:

Broadband with a speed of up to 24mg
    - 50g usage allowance - no matter how much you download there will never be an additional cost for it
    - Line Rental
    - Free wireless router
    - Unlimited calls to local and national numbers
    - Free calls anytime to 0845/0870 numbers
    - Free access to call our customer support and technical support helpline
    - Free voicemail, with-hold CLI & last caller CLI.
    - 18 month contract applies
    - free international calls

I called BT who will give me free caller ID and reduce my line rental from £13.60 to £10.60 (free evening & weekend calls) if I take my calls back to them.

For anyone considering AOL for calls thay DONT allow calls to overide providers like 18185 which I use a lot... it's always worth checking this, I'm so glad I did!!

Lisa
  • snaffler
    snaffler Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    If for what its worth I will share what I have finally got my phone pack down to.

Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan BT on a 12 month contract (pay line rental only)

Then I added line rental plan pay up front from BT £120 per year.

Basically I am now covered for £10 per month pre pay for a year.

Its only my partner home in the day with our little one and the 6am - 7pm calls are few are far between and we have used 1899 for this option for about 4 years now.

Been with BT 10+ years never had any issues or grizzles and in 2000 they spent £1200 digging up the footpath, repairing my line and putting in a new one. (not sure if they would now) but since those days all has been A1.
    "Don't panic just chill out and smile"

• elektra
    elektra Posts: 1,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Lisa_H wrote: »
    For anyone considering AOL for calls thay DONT allow calls to overide providers like 18185 which I use a lot... it's always worth checking this, I'm so glad I did!!

Lisa

not true ( at the moment anyway - I would not be surprised if AOL took the option away).

I have AOL unlimited broadband and anytime calls to 01/02/03 numbers for £6.99 a month. I pay line rental to BT.

I use 18185 for occasionally phoning abroad and calling mobiles.
    Lisa_H wrote: »

I called BT who will give me free caller ID and reduce my line rental from £13.60 to £10.60 (free evening & weekend calls) if I take my calls back to them. Lisa

is that the pay a year in advance option with BT ?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 14 January 2011 at 9:42AM
    Options
    elektra wrote: »
    is that the pay a year in advance option with BT?
    Don't think so.

Sounds to me like the standard £3/month discount you get if you call to negotiate.

Either that or the free Unlimited Eveneing & Weekend calls plan you get if you agree to the much-maligned 12 month 'renewable' contract.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • oscarhugo
    oscarhugo Posts: 492 Forumite
    Options
    elektra wrote: »
    not true ( at the moment anyway - I would not be surprised if AOL took the option away).

I have AOL unlimited broadband and anytime calls to 01/02/03 numbers for £6.99 a month. I pay line rental to BT.

I use 18185 for occasionally phoning abroad and calling mobiles.

Similar here -- I have AOL broadband & AOL Talk (for free) - includes all landline calls as above. Not sure about 0845 & 0870 numbers, I think they're charged for.., but I also use 18185 for calls abroad etc.
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
  • laney85
    laney85 Posts: 861 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone one advise what would be cheapest for me ? I dont want to change internet as I get aohell unlimited broadband for £9.99 per month and my line cannot manage any more than a meg so no pint in paying for crazy speeds that I cannot get. (Unless anyone knows who I can complain to about the crap speeds) . The landline is only ever used to make the ocassional call to spain which I use the mse callchecker for. So I think I,m just after the cheapest line rental.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure