PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hash glorious hash

Options

Comments

• hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I can't stand Spam, it's so disgusting! My OH loves it though!
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Paulie'sGirl Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    This is really interesting

My OH is from Derbyshire, and he makes hash like a stew. Possibly closer to a really rank bolognes (can you tell I'm not a fan?)

I'm from further North, Co Durham / Teesside, and to me hash is the fried thing, more like Bubble and Squeak.

For info, I understood the squeak to be from the cabbage and the sound it makes in the pan. Not sure how the spud bubbles though... (was on Two Fat Ladies :D )

I dont like corned beef, I make it with leftover roast meat.

I don't think I've ever eaten Spam, is it like Pek?

PGxx
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well if Marguerite Patten makes it like me I must be right :D Wouldn't want to argue with a national treasure.

Ingredients in Spam

89% pork
    salt
    starch
    water
    ham
    stabiliser:trisodium diphosphate
    flavourings -doesn't say what?
    antioxident:sodium ascorbate
    preservative:sodium nitrite (I think this is saltpetre which is in bacon and ham)

Yes, full of chemicals, but not much more than ham or other cured meats ;)
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got back into making corned beef hash after a visit to a restaurant where they were charging £11.95 for a portion :eek:

Often tins of corned beef are on BOGOF at the supermarket so a mega cheap meal...my version of hash is the "non-liquid" one, fried up in a pan. When I was a child, my mum made it more like a shepherds pie with a tin of baked beans mixed in with the corned beef, with potatoes on the top and whacked in the oven.......:confused:

My bubble and squeak though is just sprouts and spuds, fried up with an egg on the top :D

Both corned beef hash, and bubble and squeak freeze really well too, so absolutely no danger of any wastage :T
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Bambi234
    Bambi234 Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its been a while since i posted and now the GF has found the benefits of this site. i thought it was time to get myself back on track. And you cant get much more simple and cheap than hash Thanks thriftlady for giving me the kick up the rear end i needeed.:j
    Lightbulb Moment :idea: Sept 2006

Proud to be dealing with my debts.

Official DFW Nerd No. 254

Debt Free prediction 14/11/09 ( DEBT FREE 27/09/09
    )
    Sealed Pot challenge No 664
  • CravingSaving
    Options
    hayley11 wrote: »
    Oh don't know? :rotfl: It's just what I call potato/corned beef ash :confused: Why how does everybody else make it?

I dont care what you call it, it sounds delicious and you are making me hungry!!!
    If I had a pound for every...... oh sod it, if I just had a pound I'd be richer!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    hypno06 wrote: »
    I got back into making corned beef hash after a visit to a restaurant where they were charging £11.95 for a portion :eek:
    Oh my word ! It may have been homemade corned beef though.

BTW corned beef is so called because it was preserved with 'corns' of salt or coarse grains of salt. I believe that in America corned beef is not the same but more like salted brisket.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Oh my word ! It may have been homemade corned beef though.

For that price, I would hope it was from a cow that had led a life of absolute luxury too!!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hash means something entirely different here - you might eat it but you'd probably be hungry afterwards ;)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,201 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i love hash with a poached egg (runny yolk is essential) and baked beans.

edited to add: hash here (south wales) has one of two forms

1) the bubble and squeak (ie 'dry' mashed potato based) food variety
    2) marijuana :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income