PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hash glorious hash

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a vote for spam here :j I love it! never tried it in a hash but would be just as good as corned beef I think.

I do the fried hash as you do Thriftlady, but the stewed hash is an interesting idea too.

when I do bubble and squeak I use whatever leftover veg are about - except cauliflower _pale_ - and mix it all up well, sometimes add a bit of onion too, or maybe a chopped up sausage or two; lovely with fried egg!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It all sounds lovely and i am definitly going to make it for tea. I feel sooooo hungry now and its only 10 .15!:rotfl:
    will make some bread to go with it x
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a fan of frying, so I just mix it in together & hope for the best. Altho--to be true--we call it 'corned beef Mash' in our house.

Boil the taities [without salt] till soft enough to mash, & drain well.
    Throw in chopped tin of corned beef & smash together with a masher till combined.
    DON'T ADD MILK, BUTTER OR SALT!
    Dish up & serve with veg of your choice.

This way works well with tinned fish too.

I guess could be made into individual patties & fried first, but we like it as is.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• daleigha
    daleigha Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    belfastgirl23Hash means something entirely different here - you might eat it but you'd probably be hungry afterwards ;)

lol belfastgirl23 - im from belfast too - and when i read the thread title i thought 'oh someones bound to make reference to what i call hash' - must be a northern lreland thing eh?!?! :rotfl:
    i always thought hash was just the same as hash browns, and that bubble and squeak was mash with sausages sticking out of it!! you lot have enlightened me!! :D

xx
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,679 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    jackk wrote: »
    Corned Beef Hash at our house is:-

I mix chopped corned beef with a tin of baked beans, stick it in an ovenable tray, top with seasoned mashed spud, add a little grated cheese, then stick it in the oven for 30 mins until golden brown.

Ive also mixed the corned beef with fried onion and left over veg, instead of baked beans.

Jackie x

this is what my hash is - mmm....think i might have this for tea tomorrow actually
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • Savannah02K
    Savannah02K Posts: 307 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya

I make corned beef hash when supermarket has BOGOF on tins. One tin makes 4 portions my way: sweat big onion in a pan, add corned beef (chunked) and leave for few mins until beef has broken down. Add tin of baked beans or a condensed soup (I've tried all varieties, mushroom, veggie, oxtail), can add chilli flakes or curry powder if you want. Leave to cool, put into foil tins and when cold, freeze. Get out of freezer night before, leave to defrost in fridge, top with home made mash (or if its on special offer, the microwaved Auntie Betty, do it in microwave, can add some cheese after if you want and then top the hash), and cook on about GM 6 for 20 mins. Lovely with veggies and gravy.
  • Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    Funny I've just made Corned Beef Hash for tea and then checked the PC and this thread has floated to the top again!
    I've boiled potatoes, mashed then, mixed them with chopped up corned beef and mixed in a tin of beans. Might put some cheese on before I bung it in the oven to warm. This is my favourite way of doing it, sometimes add fried onion but couldn't be bothered today. OH & Kids prefer the corned beef mixed with mash and then add gravy but its my choice today so beans and cheese it is!

Love corned beef hash as its so quick, cheap, and versitile, just wih it was a little lower in fat!
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    Options
    Many moons ago I followed the then Slimming World diet & corned beef was a free food:j Anyone know if that's still true?
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Squiggly_Diddly
    Options
    I do something slightly different (although I love the original hash my DD's aren't so keen) so I cook either potato wedges, or those small crispy potato squares (or oven chips even), then when cooked, add in a couple of tins of diced corned beef, a tin or 2 of baked beans & mix together a bit, then cover in grated cheese & bung back in oven for 10-15 mins. Scrummy!!!
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!):p

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    sammyjig wrote: »
    could you use a lunceon meat type thing? my MIL gave me 4 tins of the stuff and we are not all that keen in sandwiches.
    My late husband used to make spam fritters and saute potatoes his only contribution to cooking and it was delicious.The girls loved it and it was his special Saturday Night supper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport