PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Hash glorious hash

Options

Comments

• lauren_1
    lauren_1 Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My mum (a northerner) makes a stew type hash with corned beef, onions and potatoes, it yummy and the more stock the longer it lasts, especially good with a roll.

Now we live in the west country i have noticed its more or a mashed or fried thing. I suppose every one has their own way.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's obviously quite a difference in how folks make their hash. Some add liquid which I never do unless I have a bit of gravy to use up. There is no wrong or right way, I've described my method above but others may disagree.

Mutantk did you add liquid with the potatoes ? I think crusty is a better description of what I mean. I aim for a balance between soft and crusty rather than completely dry.

Perhaps mine is more akin to bubble and squeak ?
  • Lily-Lu
    Lily-Lu Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lauren_1 wrote: »
    My mum (a northerner) makes a stew type hash with corned beef, onions and potatoes, it yummy and the more stock the longer it lasts, especially good with a roll.

Now we live in the west country i have noticed its more or a mashed or fried thing. I suppose every one has their own way.
    From the replies, it seems the definition of 'hash' is a regional thing. Just noticed Haley 11s location, and like me she's in Manchester. So, here we call hash something that's cooked like a stew (although this has only ever been in relation to corned beef - any other meat, and it's a stew).
    The frying of potatoes,.veg and meat is what we call 'bubble and squeak':D
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Corned Beef Hash at our house is:-

I mix chopped corned beef with a tin of baked beans, stick it in an ovenable tray, top with seasoned mashed spud, add a little grated cheese, then stick it in the oven for 30 mins until golden brown.

Ive also mixed the corned beef with fried onion and left over veg, instead of baked beans.

Jackie x
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah it must be a regional thing! Wow thought I was going mad then :rotfl:

Lily - you're right, if I was to put any other meat in with it would be called a stew, wonder why we call it potato hash when it's got corned beef in :confused:
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I think it much more useful to learn basic recipes like this than to just follow someone's printed recipe.:)

How right you are :T :T :T apart from your comment about spam _pale_ :embarasse

I make Pan Haggerty loads - using the leftover Sunday joint :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Tricia2008
    Tricia2008 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure where are family recipe comes from, but it's different to all the others mentioned, we fry onions till they soften add diced corned beef and season,cook for a few minutes, then add gravy when the gravy thickens it's ready, served with mashed potatoes and sliced bread.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My method is definitely in the minority -maybe I should rename it fried potatoes and stuff ;)

Don't want to get into an argument with Penny Penguin:D but who else likes Spam ? We don't have it much, but it is tasty, yes it is PP:p
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Don't want to get into an argument with Penny Penguin:D but who else likes Spam ? We don't have it much, but it is tasty, yes it is PP:p

:grouphug: :A I think I can't get over DH using :spam: when he goes fishing :o I've always suspected it to be full of nasties - do you want to put my mind at rest ;):D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Ches
    Ches Posts: 1,120 Forumite
    Options
    Thriftlady thats how I make Hash and my Mother before me. And so incidently did Marguerite Pattern in her wartime cookery books and is't the war years where it originated from? Bubble and Squeak is just potatoes and greens not meat but we never have worked out which one is the bubble and which the squeak.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family