Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Shop but don't drop
52 replies 90.8K views

Replies

• Well I just made friends with a nice lady who works at currys. Now whenever I go there I get 10% off ANYTHING without even asking for it. Even better is that dixons.co.uk were selling a nifty plasma at £1687 which is £600 less than in the currys store, so my lady friend at currys went on her pc in work and got an EXTRA 10% off the online price for me. I ended up saving over £700 on a £2250 TV.

Moral of the story is, go in frequently (on the same day different weeks), buy small items that you may require (paper, toasters, memorysticks etc.) and make friends with the person who sells them to you each time, then when you want something a bit more expensive, tell them that it's a bit pricey and they'll probably offer you discount, just because you're such a nice person :A
  • good tip,i'll make friends with a lady there :money:
  • I purchased from Comet who were offering it @ £999. I took in a printed page from the Dixons website showing the TV @ £959 (discount code Jan40). I was then offered a 5 year warranty for £250. Told the sales women i had no interest in ext warranties and she then asked how much would i pay for this??? I suggested £125 and she then agreed!!!!

Anyway, they couldn't discount the warranty so they gave me a £125 giftcard to use towards the purchase. So my receipt showed the TV @ £959 and the warranty @ £249.99, paid by £125 giftcard and the rest on a debit card.

Two weeks later i went back and after much embarrassment and explaining i had changed my mind (I am sure the manager knew i had planned it, awful looks off here) I got a full refund (£249.99) on the extended warranty.

Summary TV ended up costing me £834.99.

PS the TV is great and i would recommend:rotfl:
  • m2008m2008 Forumite
    9 posts
    with the small margins retailers make on electrical goods, you shouldn't be surprised that sales collegues are reluctant to discount. as a curry's employee i know for a fact that discount isn't always possible. losing a sale because we can't match a price in the short term may be an issue althought to be fair there's always another willing customers out there who is prepared to pay full price. there is money to be made in selling add on products although there are always when bought with offers to be had, and you should ask whoever is selling you the item about these. and as for buying a lot of stuff, well i understand why they wouldn't want to offer some sort of discount but i know that in our store we would have done some sort of insentive, even it it was only free delivery on your items, which to be honest would cost you 50 quid just for the range, then additional 5 pounds for every other item, could save you around 70 quid.

as for whatever happens, the service offered covers you for everything, and is well worth taking. the pay as you go options are the most effective as you can continue the payments and cover for as long as you want, and i mean, £1.99 a month to cover your fridge is well worth it if you think about paying high call out fees for manufacturers engineers to come and just look at the product after you first year is up.
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    m2008 wrote: »
    as a curry's employee ....

as for whatever happens, the service offered covers you for everything, and is well worth taking. the pay as you go options are the most effective as you can continue the payments and cover for as long as you want, and i mean, £1.99 a month to cover your fridge is well worth it if you think about paying high call out fees for manufacturers engineers to come and just look at the product after you first year is up.

Spoken like a true Currys employee :rotfl:
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • bribrianbribrian Forumite
    1.5K posts
    m2008 wrote: »
    as a curry's employee...

there is money to be made in selling add on products

Sure is! like the old 'you'll get a better picture with this £50 HDMI cable' (when a £4.99 one gives exactly the same pic)
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I cannot understand is - I wanted to purchase a laptop. Searched the internet and got a £30 discount code for Currys and it had free delivery. Went into the store to see if they would match it so that we could take it away that day. They said NO as they only made £5 profit off the item (yeah, right). Why, when it is the same store would they not match the price, especially as on-line they would reduce the price by £30 plus give you the free delivery.

Just doesn't make sense.
  • Alison_B wrote: »
    What I cannot understand is - I wanted to purchase a laptop. Searched the internet and got a £30 discount code for Currys and it had free delivery. Went into the store to see if they would match it so that we could take it away that day. They said NO as they only made £5 profit off the item (yeah, right). Why, when it is the same store would they not match the price, especially as on-line they would reduce the price by £30 plus give you the free delivery.

Just doesn't make sense.

Currys stores have overheads whereas online retailers such as the currys website does not. Rates have to be paid, rent has to be paid, staff have to be paid! Laptops have very low margins anyway, it just wouldn't be worth giving you that much discount when the laptop could be sold to someone else at full price. Don't want to wait for the item to be delivered? Then it's your choice to pay the price for it.

And for 'Bribrian' there are differences between HDMI leads, a cheap lead doesn't give as good a quality picture as one of the premium leads. You will find that the more expensive leads are future proof beyond the current version of HD (3.1). These more expensive leads are also insulated and reduce electrical interferance, much of which is demonstrated in any of Currys stores. Cheers.
  • m2008 wrote: »
    there are differences between HDMI leads, a cheap lead doesn't give as good a quality picture as one of the premium leads. You will find that the more expensive leads are future proof beyond the current version of HD (3.1). These more expensive leads are also insulated and reduce electrical interferance, much of which is demonstrated in any of Currys stores. Cheers.

Utter tosh & spoken like a true Currys employee....:rotfl:

An HDMI signal is a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't, there are no differences in picture quality between a £3 ebay cable or a £60 Monster cable. Any HDMI cable will carry a 3.1 signal if the device outputs it.
    Scart leads are a completely different animal where price does make a difference but not HDMI. Here's a couple of links so as you can read up on the subject & not just talk from out of the currys salesman commission catalogue... LINK , LINK & LINK
    Remember this is a money saving site!:rolleyes:
    What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about !!!
  • Just thought I'd mention...

I went to Comet, or a DSG store the other day to buy a washer dryer. I had one in mind and intended to use the 'warranty method' to get a discount. Luckily, the one in question was last in store so I could buy the display unit at a pretty significant discount already.

I then said I'd be buying the warranty and could they do more on the price (it was an unexpected cost as the old washer seemed fine a few days before!).

He went to his manager and knocked another £50 off. At the till I asked for the 3 year, this is the important bit. After a bit of thinking, he offered a further £25 off if I went for the 5 year warranty instead. Obviously I took it.

Got home, cancelled, the rest is history. Basically a £400+ RRP unit for £250.
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::