Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Get a bigger discount in store at Dixons etc

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
52 replies 90.7K views

Replies

• Splendid suggestion, I saved myself a few bob on a fridge a few months ago:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=76890
  • RufusARufusA Forumite
    940 posts
    AFAIK Norwich Union stopped offering the multi-appliance policy a while back for new customers whilst they sorted out some issues with their suppliers.

They haven't re-instated this policy so they may have permanently withdrawn from the market.

Other insurers that may be worth checking are:

British Gas -> http://www.house.co.uk
    Domestic & General -> http://www.domgen.com/
    Warranty Direct -> http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk

Read the T&Cs carefully as some have maximum appliance age, or will only cover kitchen appliances, or will only pay out a small percentage of the purchase price for older appliances. Also check the policy excesses!

HTH - Rufus.
  • skiddy2kskiddy2k Forumite
    1.6K posts
    if its prooving difficult to get discounts off the item, try asking for freebies or extra's. for example, if your buying a dvd recorder, ask for a few blank dvd's or scart leads and try n get your benefits like this.

Skiddy
  • If you can get a platinum connect debit card from barclays (you have to have a number of products with them to get it such as morgage or loan or barclaycard) any domestic appliance you buy over £25 you get an extra 24 months breakdown cover for free and it applies even if you do a part payment on the card. so my friends get me to buy any appliances then refund me and they get 2 years extra cover.

Havent claimed yet so dont know how good it is.
    O
  • Are you sure this is 24 extra months? I am a member of the Barclay's Addition Plus (you pay £12 per month for the privilege) but all the appliances I have ever registered only got 12 months on top of manufacturers's warranty. They could have increased their cover, ll the better for me.
    For everybody's information, by being a member of BAP, you also get very cheap private insurance for the kids (£9 per month), Road side assistance with home start etc for free, Holiday Multi-trip insurance cover for the family, Cover for loss/damaged items bought with the card, free currency exchange and more. This is worth a lot more than £144 per year to me.
  • If you can get a platinum connect debit card from barclays (you have to have a number of products with them to get it such as morgage or loan or barclaycard) any domestic appliance you buy over £25 you get an extra 24 months breakdown cover for free and it applies even if you do a part payment on the card. so my friends get me to buy any appliances then refund me and they get 2 years extra cover.

Havent claimed yet so dont know how good it is.

I have always used the interest free option when buying from Curry's. Over 6 or 12 months depending on the price of the item, and then paid in full just before the interest was due to start. However the loan co. has caught on and now charges £20 to cover the cost of paperwork. With interest rates at 29.9% only high priced items are worth doing this way, and then only if your desperate
  • A friend of mine tried this and got £100 off a £400 stereo. He cancelled the insurance but the stereo broke well withing the normal warrenty period.

Dixons (I think) refused to fix it untill he paid the £100 they discounted him. I told him to fight it but he bottled out. I'm sure he would have won, am I right?
  • Mr_warren wrote:
    Are you sure this is 24 extra months? I am a member of the Barclay's Addition Plus (you pay £12 per month for the privilege) but all the appliances I have ever registered only got 12 months on top of manufacturers's warranty. They could have increased their cover, ll the better for me.
    For everybody's information, by being a member of BAP, you also get very cheap private insurance for the kids (£9 per month), Road side assistance with home start etc for free, Holiday Multi-trip insurance cover for the family, Cover for loss/damaged items bought with the card, free currency exchange and more. This is worth a lot more than £144 per year to me.
    Yes i am sure i quoted from the information i got with the account. also it doesnt cost anything to have but you have to quaify to get it(having some of their products). you can also get £750 out of the cash machine which is higher than normal. check it out on the barcleys web site, i only got it coz it was something for nothing.
    O
  • bwgamesbwgames Forumite
    137 posts
    dninja wrote:
    A friend of mine tried this and got £100 off a £400 stereo. He cancelled the insurance but the stereo broke well withing the normal warrenty period.

Dixons (I think) refused to fix it untill he paid the £100 they discounted him. I told him to fight it but he bottled out. I'm sure he would have won, am I right?

They're totally wrong and illegal.
    Sale of Goods act. It has a manufacturers warranty, which is seperate from Coverplan etc. Your contract when buying the goods is for the retailer to fix it if it goes wrong, within the normal warranty period.
  • Cheers for that Martin.

I am just about to spend £1500 for a new HD Ready TV, it is just under £1500 from an online retailer, but has a 7 day delivery.

I would rather get it from Currys/Dixons because it I can take it straight away, but it is £1699.

Will give it a go and let you know what happens.

Oh, have a look at the thread about getting Sky to pay you to move home in the thread I have started about that!!

JC