edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
52 replies 90.7K views

Replies

• deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    caleb2003 wrote:
    I tried this today on a £850 laptop and could only get a measly 10% off so I didnt bother.

You turned down a £85 discount , seems a good discount to me.
  • I am also an ex salesman and have used various methods to get my customers a good deal. The trick is to hit the shops near the end of a month, even better if it's also the end of their financial quarter. Ask them directly what their margin is on an item. the salesperson will probably not know but the person they check with will and that person will be curious to know who is asking.

Having said that, it is getting increasingly difficult to get a deal in these electrical retailers. We are looking to buy new white goods and Comet have all the stuff we need, however, when I asked what discount I would get if I bought a washing machine, side by side F freezer, Smeg dishwasher and range cooker, I was told "we price match daily so dont discount anything" Hello!!! I have three grand to spend and I can either do it in several individual shops or I am giving you the option of racking up premium purchases in a oner. We are off into town today again to try to persuade them.

Another thing is delivery charges. I dont do delivery charges. When they try to justify it, simply remind them how much money you are spending and that if you spend over £6 on a pizza it is delivered free within an hour.
  • I am also an ex salesman and have used various methods to get my customers a good deal. The trick is to hit the shops near the end of a month, even better if it's also the end of their financial quarter. Ask them directly what their margin is on an item. the salesperson will probably not know but the person they check with will and that person will be curious to know who is asking.

Having said that, it is getting increasingly difficult to get a deal in these electrical retailers. We are looking to buy new white goods and Comet have all the stuff we need, however, when I asked what discount I would get if I bought a washing machine, side by side F freezer, Smeg dishwasher and range cooker, I was told "we price match daily so dont discount anything" Hello!!! I have three grand to spend and I can either do it in several individual shops or I am giving you the option of racking up premium purchases in a oner. We are off into town today again to try to persuade them.

Another thing is delivery charges. I dont do delivery charges. When they try to justify it, simply remind them how much money you are spending and that if you spend over £6 on a pizza it is delivered free within an hour.

I've been in two Curry's stores this week and neither of them seemed to be interested in £3k worth of sales.

Both I and my boss want a plasma/LCD tv. I had chosen the Hitachi PD6600 and she had chosen a Samsung, but when she saw the Hitachi, she changed her mind to that.

I went in on Thursday night and was completely ignored. I was being quite obvious that I was very interested in the tv, checking out the sound quality, the sockets at the back, the walll mount etc and the two employees just kept staring and then returning to conversation.

Went to a different one today, only one person in the tv section and there were loads of people milling around. We were just about to leave and someone came over to 'help' us. I was straight forward and told him We could get it for £1480 (£1550 with delivery) and we wanted his best price. And if it was in the right area we would be buying one there and then and another (my boss) in a months time, provided thsat was at the same price.

He said he needed to check, but that that was the best price but could probably get us free delivery.

2 mins later came back and said free delivery and £50 off the price. So it was to be £1649.

Asked him if he was happy to lose £3000 for the sake of £200 and he said yes.

Came home and ordered it online from the other place. Should get delivered on Friday, all being well.

I think that's called not being able to see the woods for the trees!!!

JC
  • I went to PC world and Currys today trying this and I think they've had a email or
    something because they werent budging whatsoever.
  • asotasot Forumite
    149 posts
    You won't get the 20%-30% off mentioned if you go to PC World. Apparently they have "very low" margins on the computers and make most of their money from accessories and extended warranties.

To get the best discount take a 'free' trial of the "pc performance" cover and cancel it. If they don't offer you a 'free' trial then ask for one. They will make the cover 'free' by discounting the computer, so when you cancel the cover you keep the discount.

Also note on clearance items always ask the sales person to go check with the manager a couple of times to get the lowest price. It is unlikely you will get the cheapest price first.

Finally check their instore magazine for offers (at the moment they have a voucher for 10% off any computer over a certain value) and also check the newspapers.
  • peak9peak9 Forumite
    11 posts
    I was in Currys last weekend buying a Dyson cleaner £ 170)

I never took warranty in the past, but I got £ 20 off the cleaner (after a good haggle) with a warranty (£ 49). Then cancelled the warranty on Monday.

Word of warning. I was a bit flippant about my address being perfect in the store, then I had problems cancelling when I confirmed my address on the phone. It was slightly different (Street Name Spelling). I think it is sorted but I have not received a cheque yet.

Mother and Father in law also tried it, but went instore to cancel the policy. They were told that they had to repay the discount. They was on their own and unfortunatly they paid it. A senior moment
  • the_barrettsthe_barretts Forumite
    66 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Tried for a discount at Comets on a £599 plasma TV - no joy. No joy with warranty discount either!

Even said I would go home and have a look online at Dixons - sales rep was fine at that, even told me when the store closed that night and said he hope to see us later.

Dixons price was £549 + £30 online discount code + £15 delivery charge so this was still £65 less than the comet price.

Felt like ringing him to let him know we had brought it at Dixons - I know its part of the same group but I wanted to wipe that smug smile off of his face as it didnt go down as 'his' sale.

Only problem is you cannot haggle with warranties online!
  • Tried for a discount at Comets on a £599 plasma TV - no joy. No joy with warranty discount either!

Even said I would go home and have a look online at Dixons - sales rep was fine at that, even told me when the store closed that night and said he hope to see us later.

Dixons price was £549 + £30 online discount code + £15 delivery charge so this was still £65 less than the comet price.

Felt like ringing him to let him know we had brought it at Dixons - I know its part of the same group but I wanted to wipe that smug smile off of his face as it didnt go down as 'his' sale.

Only problem is you cannot haggle with warranties online!

You should feel even better about yourself, Comet and Dixons are not the same group. Dixons/Currys/PC World are the same group, Comet is a different company.

JC
  • I have worked in various department in pc world and have a few bit of feedback.

Firstly when it comes to discount yes pcperformance is probably the only way you are going to get it. however this is becoming less likely as the scheme as although fully funded by half of the money going into a secure pot the company can't touch (something previous competitors failed to do and left their customers without anywhere to go) it is not making money for the company- that is official.

One of you mentioned not getting a discount on the price of tv- it is true, there is little discount that will ever be given and would warn against repeatidly getting the sales staff to 'ask the manager' it is patronising and is more likely to lead you to not get a discount. Same for saying your spending x amount of money. Even in thousands is only a little input for the comppany as a whole, especially compared to the larger purcahses made though account customers.

Most staff (store dependant of course and here relating more to my own store) will know exactly what they are capable of doing. Hence asking for the manager is not something they (or the manager wants) so don't patronise if you want a discount.

Finally, at our store at least, it would be advisable to listen to the propositions offered. Having dealt with returning customers who have had difficulties many would have been better off with the PcPerformance, and took it out later. Not to mention the assitance they would recieve in addition.

If you buying a sub-end laptop (less than £900) don't expect any more than £10 off. Especially if less than £500 laptop. often a £10 discount on these would mean seeling at a loss- really- it's true, and also don't expect it to play games!

Finally be patient. The sales staff have to go through the questions in order to prevent errors. Many customers THINK they know what they want, and I have seen it happen time after time after saying 'i know about computers' and coming back within a week!

Basically be patient, don't patronise, work with the banter of the sales person, and if your willing take the cover to get the discount, then you can cancel it anytime after that just by cancelling you dd, or call within 2 weeks for refund of first payment (but consider as it does cover alot your warranty doesn't and within a garanteed time- something your warranty also doesn't have). Asking for managers, or free items is not going to work (in most stores anyway). Staff WILL be willing to let you go, make it pleasurable.

Don't forget online competition have ppushed prices down, but stores still have costs to cover also.
  • Be realistic, stores may match thier onlines prices, but Dixons price, I've seen Dixons margins and can tell you its point less bothering to ask. Your the butt of many a joke. As for whatever happens cons, just remember that most people buy crap, and crap just happens to go wrong. You get what you pay for, so unless its a miele with 5 year free cover, or a dyson you'll always pay more if you use it regually without the support.

P.S. Discounts are always sweeter without the manager, so if hes not thier say weekdays late, you've got a hell of alot of more hope, managers are margin protectors.