Which mattress? (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• philjp0
    Options
    having read most (not all ) of this thread over the last few weeks and having visited and spoke to numerous bed retailers both superstores and independants i thought i would try and sumarise my findings.

Following the advice gained here i was searching for :-

1. a pocket sprung mattress between 1000 and 1800 springs
    2.memory foam between 2"and 2.5" deep
    3.memory foam density 60 to 70
    4.a turnable mattress to extend life and give better value
    5.a small/ independent manufacturer/retailer to give better value for money.

Conclusions

1.small independant/ manufacturers give better value for money
    2. 1000 to 1800 pocket springs is plenty more seem to be a sales gimmic to justify a higher price.
    3. the only mattress i can find that meets ALL the above criteria is the La Romantica Madrid (or venice for a softer feel). I know some links to other turnable memory foam mattress have been posted recently but unless i am mistaken from a quick look they may have been turnable but did not meet the other criteria in one way or another i.e. foam not between 2" and 2.5", foam wrong density, foam in a pillow top (which we have been advised to avoid) and some of the pictures do not suggest memory foam on both sides (i.e. may be turnable but just normal surface other side).

So the Madrid it is but i want to try it. Phone La Romantica no stockists in Manchester and only stockist is Bedlum beds. I could go to their showroom in Halifax to try it but would have to pay the Bedlum price (why is this if i am buying direct?). The only other supplier of the Madrid is in Halifax - is this La Romanticas showroom or an associated business??

phone Bedlum they can supply but not for a while my impression being they drive north collect some madrids for northern delivery and then collect more madrids on way home for southern delivery.Not carried in stock.

i would/ wanted to buy the madrid and i am sure it is an excellent mattress but the following prevented me :

1.only one (possibly 2 sellers) who are not local
    2.no obvious competion - why? i came to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that the extra cost (over one sided) isnt justified given extra life they possibly provided if you DO turn regularly. The independant dealers i spoke to could see no benefit or demand.
    3. It appears to be tufted and the "experts" i spoke to seemed to think this would prevent the memory foam doing what it is intended to do.
    4.but mainly because i could not try it.

I have bought a 1000 pocket sprung, 2" 60kg memory foam mattress ,(untufted), no turn mattress from a local manufacturer for £320 delivered. £150 cheaper than Madrid so even if lasts a few years less i should be okay.

Thanks to Tim for his advice and education ( The lady in Bensons had me looking at beds £800 upwards) you have saved me money and hopefully i have a good mattress that will last years.

Finally, if there are other mattress out there that meet all the above requirements (match the Madrid) surely it would help if Tim named them. Otherwise we only know of the Madrid and as almost only Tim sells this there are always going to be accusations of self promotion. how can suggesting other products do anything but balance out this thread and silence the detractors?
  • myaccount08
    Options
    Just like to add that i too have spoken to independent retailers and manufacturers and they have all told me the same thing, that with the memory foam you do NOT need to get a turnable mattress. They ALL say that one sided is fine, that you just need to rotate it. They even offered to make me a 2-sided one, but said that it would only cost me more money and not bring much benefit. That really makes me think a non turnable is OK.

Philjp0 - Can i ask what size of mattress it was you purchased for £320? I was looking at a superking size and it cost double that.

ETA: Tim, what fillings should the pocket sprung memory layer mattress ideally contain?
  • wannagetfit
    Options
    philjp0 wrote: »
    having read most (not all ) of this thread over the last few weeks and having visited and spoke to numerous bed retailers both superstores and independants i thought i would try and sumarise my findings.

Conclusions

2. 1000 to 1800 pocket springs is plenty more seem to be a sales gimmic to justify a higher price.
    3. the only mattress i can find that meets ALL the above criteria is the La Romantica Madrid (or venice for a softer feel). I know some links to other turnable memory foam mattress have been posted recently but unless i am mistaken from a quick look they may have been turnable but did not meet the other criteria in one way or another i.e. foam not between 2" and 2.5", foam wrong density, foam in a pillow top (which we have been advised to avoid) and some of the pictures do not suggest memory foam on both sides (i.e. may be turnable but just normal surface other side).

So the Madrid it is but i want to try it. Phone La Romantica no stockists in Manchester and only stockist is Bedlum beds. I could go to their showroom in Halifax to try it but would have to pay the Bedlum price (why is this if i am buying direct?). The only other supplier of the Madrid is in Halifax - is this La Romanticas showroom or an associated business??

phone Bedlum they can supply but not for a while my impression being they drive north collect some madrids for northern delivery and then collect more madrids on way home for southern delivery.Not carried in stock.

i would/ wanted to buy the madrid and i am sure it is an excellent mattress but the following prevented me :

2.no obvious competion - why? i came to the conclusion rightly or wrongly that the extra cost (over one sided) isnt justified given extra life they possibly provided if you DO turn regularly. The independant dealers i spoke to could see no benefit or demand.
    3. It appears to be tufted and the "experts" i spoke to seemed to think this would prevent the memory foam doing what it is intended to do.

I have bought a 1000 pocket sprung, 2" 60kg memory foam mattress ,(untufted), no turn mattress from a local manufacturer for £320 delivered. £150 cheaper than Madrid so even if lasts a few years less i should be okay.

Thanks to Tim for his advice and education ( The lady in Bensons had me looking at beds £800 upwards) you have saved me money and hopefully i have a good mattress that will last years.

Finally, if there are other mattress out there that meet all the above requirements (match the Madrid) surely it would help if Tim named them. Otherwise we only know of the Madrid and as almost only Tim sells this there are always going to be accusations of self promotion. how can suggesting other products do anything but balance out this thread and silence the detractors?

Excellent Post !!!!
  • ACID
    ACID Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACID viewpost.gif
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ACID viewpost.gif
    How firm do you like your mattress?
    quite firm..not hard but firm enough..dont like soft mattress..need to be able to feel it on my back

What type of base is it going on?
    erm??? double bed..exactly according to that size...on wooden planks?

What is your budget?
    max 200-250 def no more..

I'd say go for a good quality firm open coil sprung mattress around 9 or 10" deep.

i need it for a 4ft 6" by 6ft 3"

i this reffered to as a medium double//can only find a handful but not many places mention the site

No it is a standard double which you can find from any seller who sells UK size mattresses.

ok tim i have found the following...
    does it look like im getting close..
    it seems ok to me..

http://www.e2beds.co.uk/mayfair-orth...ess-p-250.html

Tim_Deegan wrote: »
    That one appears to be a low budget orthopaedic mattress, and is probably a little over priced. As a general rule mattresses with a stitchbone cover (usually vivd colours or chequered patterns) are low budget. And those with a damask cover are usually made to a higher spec.

OK HJERE GOES

http://www.bedstar.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20700&cat=&page=2

OR

http://www.bedstar.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20677&cat=&page=1

best option i could find for my reduced budget?

erm shoudl i get a no turn mattress,,been advised not to?
    what do you think?

any of those seem ok??

thanks for your help btw
  • Lomax_3
    Options
    Actually, while I'm looking round, whats the difference between open and pocket coils? Is it just that pocket prevent the roll together thing? If I move away from memory foam, I have a really bad back (more than likely from existing mattress) how firm should I be looking at to try to make it better? I have a slatted bed if that makes any difference.

I understand many things, mattresses are not one of them :o

One thing I have been recommended is that you need to get peg boarding if you want to put a pocket sprung mattress on a slatted base. This prevents the single springs in each pocket poking through the bottom of the mattress where they are not supported by the slats. Its not a issue for a memory foam mattress and probably no problem for a coil sprung mattress since the coils will be large enough to have something under them to support them. (Tim mentioned this a few pages earlier)

There is actually a company down the road in Margate that supplies peg boarding in Margate in westwood industrial estate, I'll see if I can get the name of them, I believe they have an internet presence. Still undecided though here on the mattress, I will update when I finally make a decision though ;)
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    markb1983 wrote: »

Please check it out The website is
    Mark

Whoever owns that website is doing a good job of trying to get it advertised on here!

SPAM reported.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lomax wrote: »
    One thing I have been recommended is that you need to get peg boarding if you want to put a pocket sprung mattress on a slatted base. This prevents the single springs in each pocket poking through the bottom of the mattress where they are not supported by the slats. Its not a issue for a memory foam mattress and probably no problem for a coil sprung mattress since the coils will be large enough to have something under them to support them. (Tim mentioned this a few pages earlier)

There is actually a company down the road in Margate that supplies peg boarding in Margate in westwood industrial estate, I'll see if I can get the name of them, I believe they have an internet presence. Still undecided though here on the mattress, I will update when I finally make a decision though ;)

Oh I'd have never thought of that. See, I'd just buy one because it had a pretty cover. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking of getting a "proper" mattress now actually to be honest. Dunno if this one is any good for the time being until I decide/can afford on going for either a higher quality or memory foam http://www.bedstar.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=28464&cat=&page=1
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • philangst1
    Options
    philjp0 wrote: »

Conclusions

so what did you get then?
  • povster
    povster Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought i would update, after a lot of reading/posting/advice on this thread I have ordered a mattress, big sigh of relief!

I ordered the La Romantica "Lovell" Kingsize (1000 pocket springs and 2" mem foam 1 side) £374 (359 + 15 delivery) delivered from ww.onlinebeds.com the cheapest price I could find.
    (I went against the two sided theory in the end seen as there was only the romantica madrid and its too expensive for my budget)

**Although they do not advertise the lovell one on the website if you email/phone them they can get any of la romantica range. I must add that the onlinebeds stated the lovell mattress came with 1" of mem foam and 1" high resiliance foam making up the two inches (different to bedlum beds) however I have ordered 2" of memory foam at £20 extra (and it is being made to order) **

It should be arriving in 7-10 days and I will report back on my fingers crossed comfortable nights sleep then.

Povster
  • philjp0
    Options
    Hi yes it was made by a local firm dont know if it is available via any of the online warehouses and their own website certainly wasnt up and running when i looked as they have only been there a few months. Company is snugland beds in stockport - i suspect they make beds for other people under their name but am not sure.

as i said it seems to meet all of Tims requirements except for being non turnable and they seem honest enough and their service and delivery were excellent.

i am not recommending them or anyone else just passing on my findings .Spent one night on it so far with no complaints.

they would probably have made a turnable one if asked but they could not
    see benefit and like others i had come to conclusion that given the extra cost and the likelihood of me turning it regularly i was happy with one sided.

hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport