Help- How do I cancel my Equifax account?

Options

Comments

• jukes21
    Options
    Hi, I recently registered with equifax using the free trial option so i added my bank details etc.. However i didn't complete the process because it wouldn't allow me to upload my documents to confirm who i was so i phoned up and said I didn't want to continue and asked them how i cancel my trial and they said that because my account wasn't activated i wouldn't be charged. Is this true? i'm worried i will be charged after the 30days. It may be worth adding that because my account wasn't completed i cant access options to cancel any membership.

Any advice? :(

Many Thanks
  • jackaubrey_2
    jackaubrey_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 18 October 2011 at 4:07PM
    Options
    Hi

I emailed customer.relationsuk@equifax.com yesterday after playing Equifax's tedious telephone game. Today I received a polite and helpful response (yes, really!) from someone called
    Amy Hamilton

<amy.hamilton@equifax.com>
    Customer Relations
    Equifax Ltd
    Customer Service Centre
    Po Box 1140
    Bradford
    BD1 5US

She let me know that my account was closed and no further debits would be made.

In my email I let Equifax know that I had wasted time on their ironically named helpline, and that I was going to cancel my direct debits anyway.
    (I had gone beyond the statutory period, by the way.)

I can't understand why Equifax are so slippery and frustratingly unhelpful on their website - I thought they were on the side of the consumer.

Or maybe I can...

Good luck.

PS - I found the email address somewhere within these forums. Credit where due!
  • six_pence
    Options
    I used a free trial with Equifax last year and then rang to cancel. Just now looking at my bank statment I can see they did not cancel and have been charging me every month since. I will ring on Monday, is there any chance they will refund me? Am very cross as they have taken £40 pounds I reckon off me!
  • mariapb
    mariapb Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just called the 0844 number and to be fair was only on hold for a few minutes. I then just said I'd only wanted a look at my report and didn't need to see it daily. The lady I spoke to cancelled immediately but she did start to say about the alert service for 12 months. I did ask whether I would suddenly start being charged and she got a bit snotty and said I would get an email after 11 months and then I could opt in to it. Next time I'm at the bank I'm going to ask them to check all POS/Debit companies with access to my account and ask them to delete Equifax, then make sure I check the email in 11 months time.

Thanks for all the advice on here everyone, I can't believe what a pain it is to cancel with them!
  • After Santander decided to charge me overdraft charges on an account I didn't own and then destroy my credit history, I've had to sign up with Experian and Equifax to make sure they had undone all their damage :mad:

Both Experian and Equifax had 30 day free membership, and both sites seemed to have decent reporting tools.

Equifax seemed better presented and have now got a handy hard copy printed off for my records.

Contacted both sites by phone, admittedly 0844's, but it took about 5 mins to unsubscribe from Experian and 4 minutes from Equifax. So a minimal cost for piece of mind that any damage has been fixed.

Both sites tried the hard sell, don't worry about making up excuses, just simply tell them the truth, I'm not interested :) Sales staff soon know when a prospect is a waste of time.

Just thought I'd even up the balance, overall experience with both sites very good.

But then no doubt some people like Santander... :mad:
  • seriousDFW
    Options
    I can't express how difficult it was to cancel on the phone! The woman I spoke to could not understand many of the words I was saying. When spelling out my details, she misheard almost every single letter, it would have been comedic had it not been so frustrating! She couldn't find my account for about 10 minutes because of this - I asked to be transferred to a different person twice and both times she refused and just carried on not hearing my correctly. Maybe I just had a bad operator, but it wasn't a simple phonecall!
    DFBX2013: 021 :j seriousDFW £0 [STRIKE] £3,374[/STRIKE] 100% Paid off
    Proud to have dealt with my debts.
  • moonflower_2
    Options
    Thank you JackAubrey I have sent them an email to cancel my subscription hope to get a reply as quickly you did.

Moonflower
    SPC £500 well will try very hard.

GC £6.16/£150
  • cherry7460
    Options
    I just managed to cancel by phone, it's not an easy thing to do!

The woman barely understood what I was saying, was trying to flog me some alert thing, I declined, she eventually cancelled my account.

Have just received confirmation via email.

In fairness, it took me 5 mins, so not too bad :)
  • robedha_2
    robedha_2 Posts: 102 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2012 at 1:56PM
    Options
    I didn't even realise I was being charged £2.99 a month by Equifax since Sept 2010 until I checked my statement properly this month. Managed to get them on the phone after being on hold for about 10 mins. Got it cancelled with no questions being asked. I was amazed, was expecting the usual stuff about how I'd lose all these 'wonderful' benefits I've never made use of in the last 16 months. Just waiting to see if they have actually cancelled it or whether the £2.99 leaves my account again next month.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I took out a free 30-day trial and i think I have cancelled but I am not sure.

The lady I spke to barely spoke english and just kept saying "yes" to all of my questions. I said i wanted to cancel and there was a silence. Eventually she said it would cancel automatically at the end of the 30 day trial and I wouldn't be charged.

Think I need to email to make sure!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport