Do you tip the removal men?

Options
124»

Comments

• EmmaWD
    EmmaWD Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I never tip, but I do stock the fridge with lots of sausage rolls, pies, and sandwich stuff and I always make them bacon sandwiches before they start, and tellt hem to help themselves to food, tea and biccies.
    If they were as awful as some of you have had I would be ringing MS shipping on the spot to complain, and I certainly wont be helping them pack, my insurance wont cover me if I do at any rate.
    I happen to know they are well paid on the whole for what they do, and given that it seems most of us now don't get DA until AFTER the move because of JPA, and we still have to pay out in advance for meals etc while we are out of our own accomodation becuase you can no longer get an advance for that, I don't have the spare cash just before a move to pay to tip them at any rate!
  • sarahsarah
    sarahsarah Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    Our stuff got collected today by Bishop's of Swindon to be shipped to GIbraltar, and I was a bit surprised when just one guy turned up! There was only 11.6 m3 to go though..

He was good though, he was gone by lunch time, kept him going with cuppas and a bacon sarnie mid morning, and my husband gave him £20 at the end :-)

Stuff gets picked up to go into storage tomorrow by White and Company.. Lots of stuff to go into storage so will see what they are like tomorrow..
  • Kookie_2
    Options
    I think this is why I need to be on MSE more often lol
    We always tip and it's usually between £80 + £150 plus the tea, choccie biscuits, sandwiches at lunchtime and the fact we pack almost all of the house ourselves - feeling a bit of a mug now... :o
    Dance like no-one's watching :grinheart

DFW Official Nerd # 574 Nerds rule! :cool:
  • cheapestskater
    Options
    Dd this about 20 years ago, always loved a slab of cold beers as much as money, easy way out. 12 cans for about a tenner from Tesco.
  • waggys
    waggys Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We must be really tight; it has never occurred to us to tip removal men. However, that might be due to the fact that Pickfords caused over 10k of damage during our last move!!!!! We have always given copious cups of tea and bacon butties etc though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure