Do you tip the removal men?

Options

Comments

• Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    bonsibabe wrote: »
    helliecopter - is that Al's chippy? If it is then they are really good, I miss that part of living in Bergen! That and Orchidee's chinese takeaway! And viva's. But thats about it lol
    Thought Als was CR*p.
    Orchidees is excellent.
    Thought Dakota's was the best out of the lot though. The only thing I miss from Bergen.

Apart from the tax free beer.
    And the tax free fags.
    And the tax free cars.
    And the cheap Diesel.
    And not having to pay tax to watch the TV.
    And the Kindergeldt.
    And the clean streets.
    And the BBQ's in the Summer.
    Apart from that I like being taxed to death to live in England :mad: Cheers Gordon!

Sorry about going off thread. Rant over.
  • gtd2000
    gtd2000 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PS - Is that chippy in Bergen any good?

There used to be a great Imbiss that we used to get "gyros mit pommes" from, normally on the way back from the disco called "The Wienberg", which became "Mic Macs".

Does all of that stuff still exisit these days?
  • helliecopter_2
    Options
    I think it's called Als, but we're not at Hohne. We're a short drive away so thought it might be worth popping up there for some fish & chips. The mobile vans are always sold out and the batter isn't upto much. Hmmmm might make a visit tomorrow if my Grocery Challenge will permit. Thanks guys!

Hey sparky.... you forgot you don't pay road tax and the getranke refunds. I'm lovin' Germany.
    LMB 01/03/08£9001.61 £10/6 6089.70 - 32%paid off!
    Grocery Challenge 25/6 to 24/7 €350 week1 €30-46 / €87-50

• gtd2000
    gtd2000 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Sparky29 wrote: »
    Thought Als was CR*p.
    Orchidees is excellent.
    Thought Dakota's was the best out of the lot though. The only thing I miss from Bergen.

Apart from the tax free beer.
    And the tax free fags.
    And the tax free cars.
    And the cheap Diesel.
    And not having to pay tax to watch the TV.
    And the Kindergeldt.
    And the clean streets.
    And the BBQ's in the Summer.
    Apart from that I like being taxed to death to live in England :mad: Cheers Gordon!

Sorry about going off thread. Rant over.

I missed the tax free fuel - until I moved to the USA
    I missed German bread & dairy products
    I missed nights out in Hannover at Disco Duck (alternative/punk/indie club..long gone)

Didn't miss tax free fags
    Dind't miss tax free drink
    Didn't miss BFBS TV
    Didn't miss bulled boots
    Didn't miss starched combats
    Didn't miss standing by my bed on a Monday morning
    Didn't miss "block jobs"
    Didn't miss NAAFI pies
    Didn't miss German shopping hours/days
    Didn't miss the Army
    Didn't miss RMP's

I can't say there is anything at all about Bergen Hohne that I could say I liked (other than the gyros place) if I'm totally frank...remember those recruitment ads.."To be Frank"...? :beer:
  • Cat695
    Cat695 Posts: 3,647 Forumite
    Options
    gtd2000 wrote: »
    There used to be a great Imbiss that we used to get "gyros mit pommes" from, normally on the way back from the disco called "The Wienberg", which became "Mic Macs".

Does all of that stuff still exisit these days?

Mic Macs is long gone now its just be reopened as a resturant!!! the bar that was right on the corner is still there but its more of a wine bar now.......and the imbiss your probably on about is still there hehe

Chip shop van sits outside the round house on camp

Other than that hohne has not changed what so ever (started going there 15 years ago and went back two weeks ago!!)
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have failed to plan properly

I've only ever been wrong once! and that was when I thought I was wrong but I was right
  • jpwhittle
    jpwhittle Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    we moved on friday and i honestly refused to put te kettle on by the end of te day. id bought lunch and prvided drinks but the removals were so rubbish i gave up. i was moaned at as i couldnt help. im 7 months pregnant with spd and baby lying back to back and struggling to move at the best of time without lifting stuff. hubby was told he had to help them move us. they dropped loads of stuff. broke sons toys made a mess everywere and were generally horrible i really couldnt be bothered with them. they turned up an hour late and it took them from 10 untill 4pm to pack up my house. iv never had it go so slow i moved from oxfor to lincoln quicker. oh and we were moaned at for moving 2 streets away.
    went back to the old house yesterday to clean and found that loads of stuff had been left behind and i still ended up moving half the house myself. im so annoyed. its a good job i didnt move overseas or id have been up a creeck without a paddle for sure.

so i think buying lunch was enough of a tip for them. never even had to do that before. always offered to buy lunch but they always bring there own so just keep the kettle going.
    back to comping in 2017, fingers crossed :beer:
  • purplepixi
    purplepixi Posts: 152 Forumite
    Options
    We moved a few months back, and sorry - I didn't tip.

I would have done, but they've changed the way you get your disturbance money now.

We moved on the 8th of the month and didn't get the money until pay day (did have to phone PMA and ask about this, but turns out it's a standard thing).

So after paying to sort out all the house type stuff, live of take away for a few days as the freezer was turned off, buy they kids new school uniform, put the animals in boarding, and paying all the normal bills and fuel for the car, we were well over over the overdraft.

They get paid anyway, plus I like to do most of my packing myself, which leaves them very little to do, apart from drink tea and eat biscuits and load boxes on to the waggon.

I may have done, if we'd have got our money like we used to, as soon as we'd moved, but moving is stressful enough, without having to worry about keening the removal men pleased!
  • jacand
    jacand Posts: 562 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    We have always had tea and toast ready for them when they arrive. My husband likes to give them a tenner each too.
    They are always really good and have been really friendly.
  • Lawyer2B
    Lawyer2B Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Have moved 3 times in 9 years and have never tipped.

Quite frankly they get an easy ride with me as I do all my own packing so they only have to load and unload the lorry.

Unlimited cups of tea and chocy biscuits go down well though!
  • Molescroft
    Molescroft Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Usually leave the tipping part to my husband, but I think there is only once when he did not tip, the rest of the time the amount depends on how well the team has worked. In our experience the best teams are those who are made up of people trained as movers and not those just filling in because they need a job and it was all they could get.

I always keep them going with tea, coffee, biscuits and sandwiches and it has always seems to have been appreciated and kept good humour going. I tend to pack quite a bit myself and make sure my boys always pack their own stuff too. I find it a good way to sort out and get rid of excess stuff. Always leave the china and the like for the packers and have never had any breakages. Our move 6 months ago was the best experience ever although I expected trouble when the van turned up at mid-day instead of 8am and with only a team of 2, but boy did they work their socks off. They caught up and managed to deliver us ahead of schedule. They unpacked all the furniture and helped us set it up into place and left the boxes so that I could unpack in my own time (my request, they would have unpacked if I had wanted). A single phone call got a van to come and pick up the boxes when I was ready. We also got a visit from MS shipping during the move to check that the team had performed well and had done as required. In future if I experience a particularly bad team I would consider contacting MS shipping during the move to make an initial complaint to be followed up if found lots of problems after the van had trundled off down the street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure