Do you tip the removal men?

Options
I was just wondering if you tip the removal men?

I am a pads brat and I know in the old days when we lived in Germany the removal men would get some duty free booze or cigarettes.

I don't usually a)because I am tight and b) because we are always moving and it would cost a fortune!

So what do you do?

:confused:

Comments

• bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    I don't buy them fags, but if they do a good job and don't break too much, they might get a crate of beer. But I don't do it all the time - only for the really good ones.
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tipped mine because they did a good job and two good lads. I gave a tenner to share dont have a lot of cash
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    I tipped the last lot a tenner each (x 3) because they did a good job putting the boxes in the right rooms and actually unpacked as per the contract. I hate it when they try and leave me with a mountain of cardboard boxes and wrapping. I had Whittles once who promised to come back the next day and take it away. It took me over a week and several phone calls to get them to do it and it became a point of principle in the end. When I did unpack there was loads of broken stuff which they aren't interested in as you should have insurance. I refuse to use them now.
  • Sparky29
    Sparky29 Posts: 285 Forumite
    Options
    lopez75 wrote: »

I don't usually a)because I am tight and b) because we are always moving and it would cost a fortune!

If you are always moving you are always getting over £1000 disturbance so is it

I don't usually a)because I am tight and b)because I am tight and c)because I am tight :wink::D
  • ChipRAFP
    ChipRAFP Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Tenner each if they do a good job.
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Options
    Normally, We'll give them Bacon Butties when they arrive, this is a good ice breaker when you then give them the warning that if you break any of my stuff i'll break your legs,

That sometimes seems to do the trick
  • Marker_2
    Marker_2 Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    Options
    Keep the butties and brews going they'll do a good job. Never tipped before, cos im to tight!
    99.9% of my posts include sarcasm!
    Touch my bum :money:
    Tesco - £1000 , Carpet - £20, Barclaycard - £50, HSBC - £50 + Car - £1700
    SAVED =£0
    Debts - £2850
  • hobjahooda
    Options
    If I'm moving back from overseas, I usually tip with a carton of cigarettes each (a bit naughty, but if they were to buy them themselves, it'd cost them 50 quid+...). And a currywurst mit pommes from the Schnellie!

This has always ensured an excellent service and extra care of our stuff...
  • johng_uk
    johng_uk Posts: 1,960 Forumite
    Options
    lopez75 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if you tip the removal men?

I am a pads brat and I know in the old days when we lived in Germany the removal men would get some duty free booze or cigarettes.

So what do you do?

No I never do. We are not a tipping society and they get paid to do the job they do.

I do offer tea and coffee etc as they will (potentially) have been on the road for sometime.

No-one tips us military types for saving the world one day at a time;)
    John :beer:

Life's too short.........
  • charlie42bravo
    Options
    We moved from Plymouth to Portsmouth on a baking hot day with only two removal men as Whites expected my husband to be there - He wasn't!!!!!! With two small children I was next to useless to the men. Therefore the pints of squash were flowing all day and a tenner each for them to buy themselves a real pint at the end of the day did not seem unreasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure