Complaint letter for Ryanair....

Replies

• I really feel for you, its a horrid thing to go through and does leave a bitter taste in your mouth. Best of luck with it, if you don't try you don't get in this life. I havent had any experience with Ryan Air till this month strangely first time I have booked a flight with them and we just received an email to tell us that our return flight time has changed! Not really too happy about that, but well next time I won't use them!

The best advice I ever had was to stay outside of your feelings in disputes, in my experience it works, so I hope it does for you too.
  • thx walrus!!! your a STAR!

I must admit that I have used Ryanair for 3 years now and this was the first problem I have ever encountered... They do not go wrong very often but when they go wrong they wont do anything to help their already-bad image. I just cant believe how blatantly they hope to get away with it.
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Hello again, I am bumping up this thread again... Can anyone comment on the letter below? I have done my research/homework but facing a bit of trouble organising it all.

Any constructive comment will be welcome and fab!

TO: Caroline Green, Head of Customer Services
    SUBJECT: Cancelled 22:10 flight from Girona to Stansted airport on 04/10/05 REF : XXXXX

Please find below a reminder of our rights directly taken from the Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 as well as a breakdown of what applies and does not apply to our case.

Article 5
    Cancellation
    1. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall:

(a) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 8;
    I would like to point out that assistance was indeed provided even though we had to queue for 5 hours and ask 3 different members of staff before knowing what was to be done.

(b) be offered assistance by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2), as well as, in event of re-routing when the reasonably expected time of departure of the new flight is at least the day after the departure as it was planned for the cancelled flight, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c);
    This proves that you had to provide us with the assistance described in Article 9 below. Please refer to Article 9.
    (c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:
    (i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure;or
    (ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival;or
    (iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
    While I am fully aware of the effect of the French strike, I am also aware that in order for a strike to be legal, Unions have to put down a 3-day notice before the strike can actually take place. While I doubt that any airline company could actually re-route all its scheduled flights within that amount of time, you were consequently aware of the strike but failed to at least prepare yourself for its possibility.

2. When passengers are informed of the cancellation, an explanation shall be given concerning possible alternative transport.
    Once again, the explanation was given by your staff but in a contradicting and unclear manner. As I pointed out in my first letter to you, a public announcement through the tannoys would have been welcome.
    3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
    As I pointed out in my first letter, I am fully aware of the French strike qualifying as an extraordinary circumstance hence not entitling us to compensation described in article 7.
    4. The burden of proof concerning the questions as to whether and when the passenger has been informed of the cancellation of the flight shall rest with the operating air carrier.

Article 9
    Right to care
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered free of charge:
    (a) meals and refreshments in a reasonable relation to the waiting time;
    (b) hotel accommodation in cases
    - where a stay of one or more nights becomes necessary, or
    - where a stay additional to that intended by the passenger becomes necessary;
    (c) transport between the airport and place of accommodation (hotel or other).
    2. In addition, passengers shall be offered free of charge two telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails.
    Your duty was to provide us with the assistance described in Article 9 above. As I have already described in my previous letter, your staff kept on refusing to acknowledge our rights by repeating that the European law did not apply to Ryanair. Now, the first thing that is taught in law school is that the law applies to everyone and anyone regardless of their knowledge of it and no clause in any contract can exempt anyone from its ruling. Please allow me to doubt that your CEO is above the rest of humankind and consequently, above any law, including EC Regulation No 261/2004.

Our rights were therefore blatantly violated despite us quoting the European Regulations. Your records will show that our alternative flight was Reus to Luton. This proved very traumatic and costly.
    • We could not afford a hotel and therefore spent a night in a very smoky and draft-prone airport
    • The withdrawal of money (at a cost) to provide for the transfers
    • The cost of the bus to Barcelona and then on to Reus
    • The cost of transferring from Luton to Stansted in order to collect our car
    We finally arrived at 11pm, with still a long drive home to contend with. At 0100, 24 hours late and having had no sleep for 36 hours, we arrived home exhausted. After only 5 hours sleep in 48 hours and already missing a day of work, our professions beckoned. I would like to bring to your attention that we also did not get a decent meal for 48 hours.
    Therefore we are still claiming a goodwill payment for the cost of four meals, drinks included, accommodation and the incurred costs of the extra travel to and from alternative airports which we roughly estimated as 280 pounds for the both of us.
    We still insist that it would be natural and courteous of you to provide a publicly broadcasted apology to all the passengers you left stranded on that night.
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Send it without a stamp on the envelope.
  • no you have to fax it!
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Blimey, having to fax it as well, doesn't get any easier does it.
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they will just file it until they get something phrased more legal and or from a Solicitor.

Perhaps remove some emotional adjectives to make it more factual.

Whether the meal is decent or not isn't really the point. The fact is you didn't get a meal.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • LesDLesD Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi MFG,

I agree with RichardW. Normally, you would be submitting a claim for damages you have suffered. This would list out the items you want them to reimburse you and the reasons you are claiming them.

I also agree with Walrus that you won't get damages for 'hurt' so don't make the issue emotional.

The EU regs would certainly be important, but should only be attached to, and referenced in, your claim.

I would suggest you speak to your local trading standards people who may have a sample letter you could use. Alternatively try your CAB. They will also advise you on the small claims court procedure which might be the way to do this.

When sending it, you should have a specific name that you address it to and I would suggest it should be sent recorded delivery with advice of delivery too.

I'm certainly not a fan of Ryanair since they once treated us like cattle and charged us extortionate excess baggage costs for every kilo over their meagre 15kg limit!

Good luck - we're all with you!!!
  • i could got to the CAB ok... thx for the advice, wonder if they are open on a saturday tho...

I do not have a solicitor so I have to do the work myself. I will make the suggested changes and take off the emotional bits. I thought that quoting the regulation would make them shut up and realise I was not that dumb and knew exactly what my rights were but if they need something more meaty than just lolly lolly me then I will take it a step further.

Also, i cannot do a recorded delivery as you have to sned the dam thing by fax... Would not a delivery report be considered legally the same as a recorded delivery?

Thx so much for giving me hope!
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if your local MEP would be interested in assisting you, perhaps one in the UK or one in France. That would get your complaint noticed by Ryanair, otherwise it might just get filed with all the others.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides