Complaint letter for Ryanair....

Hi guys,

can anyone advise me on this letter I have just drafted?

Thank you in advance.

[FONT=Century Gothic]Flight Reference:XXX

TO: Caroline Green, Head of Customer Services
SUBJECT: Cancelled 22:10 flight from Girona to Stansted airport on 04/10/05
On the night of Tuesday 4 October, my partner and I were supposed to fly to Stansted from Girona Airport. When we arrived, it turned out the flight was cancelled due to the French Airspace Control Strike. While we do appreciate this was not under your control, the management of the situation was your responsibility. 4 flights were cancelled and, consequently, the already small airport had turned into chaos.

We tried to get information out of one of your staff who spoke a very poor English and who could only answer "no" to the questions of alternative flights or compensation for alternative transport back to London. It is only once I started raising my voice that she let us know that we had to queue to the Ryanair information desk to get a refund (which we were completely uninterested in as it would only represent £25 each). After having asked 2 other members of staff (by giving them the choice between the 3 different languages that I speak), we finally found out it was worth queuing as your employees would try to get us onto another flight. In the meantime, no announcement was made on the airport tannoy from a senior member of staff as an attempt to calm the situation down. When asked about the likelihood of the local manager to do such a thing, one of the ground staff replied that the manager was too busy.

In the meantime, we phoned our travel insurance to ask if they would cover for a hotel for the night as it was obvious that we would not be moving anytime soon. It turned out that Ryanair, under the "REGULATION (EC) No 261/2004 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 11 February 2004 establishing common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of denied boarding and of cancellation or long delay of flights, and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 295/91", had to provide us with accommodation, meals and refreshments for as long as we were stranded at Girona as it was obvious our delay would last for more than 5 hours.

I would like to point out that, not only our rights were violated, but we saw Thomson Flight doing all they could to get their passengers back to their original destination. They took off at 1am on Wednesday morning, and got meals and refreshments. This proves the situation could have been handled very differently by your company.

As you will find out from your records, our alternative flight was from Reus to Luton airport which did not arrange us as we had to:

- spend the night in a smoked up airport, with no sleep, as we could not afford a hotel and all buses back to Barcelona were gone.
- withdraw money with my UK debit card, which, I am sure, will not come for free on my statement.
- use pre-cited money to pay for the next bus back to Barcelona, and then the bus to Reus airport.
- once at Luton, pay for our own transfer to Stansted where our car was parked.

I would also like to point out that none of us two had had any sleep nor a proper meal for 36 hours. We finally got to Stansted car park at 11pm on Wednesday night, but we still had to drive back to Farnham. We are sure you cannot deny how stressful this was for us, considering our state of exhaustion. We finally got home at 1am on Thursday morning and still had to wake up at 6h30 to go to our respective jobs. We could not afford to miss another day at work for catching up our sleep. If our count is right, the situation only gave us 5 hours of sleep for 48 hours.

Also, I would complain further about the homing company you employ in Girona Airport and who trades on your behalf: instead of having the common sense to sell the first bus tickets for going back to Barcelona to us (the stranded passengers who had to catch another connection to go to another airport), they kept on selling the tickets to those people who just arrived from Milan. After a sleepless night in the smoked up and draft-prone airport, I hope you understand how angry we were at the situation and how much we wanted to get out of the airport. When challenged about possible accommodation for an elder disabled man after this nightmarish night, the homing staff at the Ryanair information desk kept on waving your conditions stipulating that in the case of you not being responsible for cancellations, compensations would not be given. However, the staff from your homing company did not seem to understand what the European rights were about and the manager even had the cheek to tell us that, as it did not happen on her shift, she was not responsible for any of the things that happened the night before. I can honestly tell you that this is not the kind of things an old lady and her disabled husband (who were stranded until Friday 07 October) nor any person put into our situation would like to hear.

What we are expecting from this letter is financial compensation. We already know we do not qualify for the £170 compensation for cancellation as you were forced to cancel by an event that was not under your control. However, we believe that you violated our rights by refusing to provide us with shelter and food. The compensation should be for what we did not receive, but were entitled to (that is, the cost of 4 meals and drinks and a hotel room in Girona, as well as the refund of our many transfers by bus).

Also, considering the fact that there were elderly people with walking aids, disabled people in wheelchairs, and entire families with toddlers that you left stranded at the airport, we believe that you owe all the passengers a public apology by mainstream medias for the stress and the sleep deprivation you have put them through.

If you do not make contact with us within the next 2 weeks, we will forward a copy of this letter to the Air Transport Users Council and the Directorate General of Transport and Energy of the European Commission.

We hope to hear from you soon,[/FONT]
"Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
It's only teenage wasteland"
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
RIP John Entwistle

Replies

• AltarfAltarf Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't hold your breath for a sensible reply. Michael O'Leary's usual reply to a complaining customer is to tell them to #### off.
  • alanrowellalanrowell Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Save yourself some grief and don't bother, O'Leary will at best use your letter to light a fat cigar, at worst he might take an interest in you.

Best thing to do is just keep telling the world what a load of !!!!!!s Ryanair are and eventually it'll hit him where it hurts - in the bank balance.
  • QuasarQuasar Forumite
    121.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons why I do not fly budget airlines is exactly the sort of thing detailed in the letter above.

OK, you can get really cheap flights with them, but I prefer to spend a little more and fly less if it hits my pocket too much, but at least I can get more joy out of an airline with a big(gish) reputation to defend.
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • cheekymolecheekymole Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would go for it (but first check your grammar) but be prepared to follow it through..

... good luck, let us know what happens
    I haven't got one!
  • Well, the comments on Ryanair made above were as helpful as sunglasses in a nightclub... I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE CRAP OK?

I have used them for 2 years and this is the first time something goes wrong. Find me another company that flies directly from London to Pau where my tribe of a family lives?

The purpose of this thread is to get some advice on my grammar, not being told again and again how bad the company is.

Thx Cheekymole BTW!
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • alanrowellalanrowell Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    And our comments are not to bother with the letter as nothing will happen because O'Leary is only interested in profits not the happiness of passengers.

His viewpoint is that you should be thankful that you can fly to Pau cheaply to visit a member of your tribe and that you shouldn't whinge because things went wrong once in two years.

As for refunds or anything like that O'Leary would argue that without him you'd have paid a hell of a lot more to get to Pau any other way so what are you whinging on about.
  • And the thread, once again, is not about how bad their philosophy is, but about helping me with my complaint letter...
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can't think of the chaps name but there was a similar topic a while back with an equally long letter of complaint. Think it might be called "An open letter to Ryanair" maybe, search and see if you can find it, it ran for a while and not sure how OP's complaint with them got on/was resolved but may be some more info on that topic
  • wolvomanwolvoman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The purpose of this thread is to get some advice on my grammar, not being told again and again how bad the company is.

To be honest you only ask people to review the letter in your opening post, you don't mention grammar specifically.

But I will say this - unless you can reduce that letter in size to at most 1/3 of its current size then no-one will read it, least of all at Ryanair.

- Forget rights, your rights are for them to get you from A to B safely. EU compensation covers you for events within Ryanair's control, insurance for other events.

- Focus on the potential loss of business that you can take elsewhere, and that you can tell friends and family.
  • My rights are not only for them to get me from A to B safely...

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=306&pagetype=90&pageid=4408

just to sum things up, or in more details:

http://europa.eu.int/comm/transport/air/rights/doc/2005_01_19_apr_poster_en.pdf

So everyone at the airport qualified for meals and refreshments and accomodation.

Thx Wolvoman and thx Wobytide...veyr useful feedback.
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides