PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Save Zillions On Cleaning Products

Comments

• kal25 wrote:
    Thanks galtizz, will this work on the outside of the fryer and lid, I don't have to many probs cleaning fryer bowl inside.Would it need to be a paste? When you said bio powder did u mean bicarb? Sorry to be a pain, as I said new to this. Thanks

I think she meant biological washing powder - this dissolves grease really well. If you don't have any in, cheap value bio washing powder is fine - I think about 60p from Tesco/Sainsburies, etc ;) .

You could make a paste with this and spread it on the outside of your fryer, leave overnight and then wipe off - it should take all the grease away with it. You should be able to scrub away any stubborn bits with a dishcloth - the powder will have loosened them.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • kal25
    kal25 Posts: 569 Forumite
    Thanks Penny-wise. I will have to buy some as I only use non bio due to kids and me suffering from eczema. However I have been reading through this board and am thinking of possibly trying other cheaper and skin friendly ways of washing. But I will definetley be trying this on my deep fat fryer.
    :smileyhea:heart: Mrs Lea Nov 5th '11 :heart::smileyhea
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Posted from Saint_Chris on the numerous uses of Avon SSS, some of these are useful for cleaning.

S-S-S is useful for loads of other things just look at this list.

USE’S FOR AVON’S ‘SKIN SO SOFT’
    1. It’s a Bath Oil
    2. It’s an after shower moisturiser
    3. It can be used to remove make-up
    4. It’s a Suntan Oil (no SPF)
    5. Pour into the water of your foot spa to moisturise your feet while you relax them
    6. It’s a hot oil treatment to soften nails
    7. It’s a good massage oil for those overworked, sore muscles
    8. It’s a good repellent for people and their pets
    9. It helps relieve itching caused by insect bites and dry skin
    10. Sponge around doors and windows to keep crawling bugs, flies and mosquitoes out
    11. It’s a good wood cleaner, conditioner and polish for natural wood
    12. It removes chewing gum from hair, skin and most non-porous surfaces
    13. It removes glue and gum left from price tags and labels from glass, metal and most plastics, EVEN carpets
    14. It cleans tape marks, left from plasters from the skin
    15. It cleans ink from skin and most vinyl and painted surfaces
    16. It gently cleans heavy GREASE & OIL from skin and non-porous surfaces, EVEN from ultra suede
    17. It removes soap scum from shower doors/curtains, windows and bathroom/kitchen fixtures
    18. It removes lime/hard water deposits from windows fixtures, shower doors and tiles
    19. It removes tar spots from car finishes without damaging the paint finish
    20. It can be used as on oil lubricant for fitting pipe joints that won’t go together as easily as they used to
    21. It removes paint and stains from skin - much gentler than turpentine
    22. It cleans paint brushes easily, and leaves them soft as ever
    23. It cuts grease and dirt from range hoods
    24. It removes candle wax from furniture, carpeting and clothing
    25. It removes scuffmarks from patent leather shoes
    26. It removes liquid nail (panelling glue)
    27. Two glass bowls or glasses that are stuck together? Drizzle a little ‘SSS’ down the sides and they will come apart easily
    28. It removes ‘ring round the collar’ on shirts/blouses
    29. Wipe down vinyl surfaces inside your car. Cleans them nicely, and removes any smoking odour
    30. Extra benefit - while using it to clean, etc, it leaves your hands soft and smooth - unlike other harsh cleaners
    31. Fleas on animals? Use 1/2 ox of ‘SSS’ bath oil mixed with 16oz of water. Spray or bath animals. Leaves their coat soft and silky
    32.Try the sss woodland liquid soap for cleaning the cooker works a treat. I also use it on the wood floor in the hall if it has rubber heel marks on takes them straight off.

• MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    I've been gonig through these pages and some of the tips are going to prove really helpful to me in the future. Just a quick question though where can I buy squirty / spray bottles from? I haven't seen any anywhere and my partner and I were just saying that we would like to mix up some of these solutions and keep them and label the bottles. But we just can't think where to get the bottles from without having to buy the products if you see what I mean.

Sorry If this has been posted before.

MonkeyGirl
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    :hello: Hi MonkeyGirl, welcome to the boards.

You can buy :eek: sprayers from wilkos or other gardening type shops, just buy the ones they use for plants. OR (free option [img]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/4/4_1_204.gif[/img] ) just take the top of your flash or Mr Muscle spray when it is empty, rinse it out and re-fill it. :)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I'll second Galtizz's second option :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • MonkeyGirl
    MonkeyGirl Posts: 587 Forumite
    Galtizz wrote:
    :hello: Hi MonkeyGirl, welcome to the boards.

You can buy :eek: sprayers from wilkos or other gardening type shops, just buy the ones they use for plants. OR (free option [img]http://smileys.!!!!!!/cat/4/4_1_204.gif[/img] ) just take the top of your flash or Mr Muscle spray when it is empty, rinse it out and re-fill it. :)

:hello: thanks for the welcome in some ways I wish I hadn't joined it seems a tad addictive ;-).

We do re-use the bottles but we don't buy them very often hence why I thought I'd ask how to get some without buying the product. Thank you for telling me where I can get them next time I go into town I'll look in wilkos for some. Thanks again :D
  • Trying2Save_3
    Trying2Save_3 Posts: 266 Forumite
    Probably a daft question - but what is an elderflower and where do you find it? I'd like to make the Cordial receipt courtesy of Ted.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have just checked, Tesco sell it online.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Neither my local Asda, nor my local village Co-op sell washing soda or distilled white wine vinegar. (Either that or they hide it very well.)

Given that bus fares into town can often cost me more than p&p does anyone know of reasonable on-line sources for these?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure