descaling your iron

white vinegar in first then a spoon of bicarb

itll fiz out so do it on the drainer

leave over night

itll work

;D ;D
  • ;D
    Hi
    A good tip for cleaning brass & or copper is to rub with tomato sauce on a cloth, then just rinse off or wipe with damp cloth. Used this on a copper kettle (seemed like a good idea at the time - didn't think how much cleaning!)
    & it came up brilliantly unlike with the branded metal cleaners.
    Love to save & love a bargain
  • cathy_3cathy_3 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi scruffy

it works cos I jsut tried it out on my copper bottom pan

thanks for that

;D
  • It seems like everyone here I use vinegar for everything. I have used it diluted on polished furniture to get rid of the build up of polish which can become sticky and then buff with a dry cloth, it brings back the shine ( gets rid of finger marks as well). Glad you found the tip on tomato sauce useful Cathy.
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    yes my mum always uses the vinegar on the furniture to get the build up of polish off, and now im using the olive oil and lemon to polish I find that if I use the vinegar about 4 times a year it gets it all back to a lovely shine
  • scruffyscruffy Forumite
    90 Posts
    This is rather a case of cutting out the middle man! ;D Pour a can of Coke into the loo, leave for an hour then brush & flush. The citric acid, ascorbic acid & phosphoric acid in the Coke removes stains from the porcelain.
    :o
    Or you could drop 2 denture cleaning tablets into the loo, let sit for 5 mins then scrub & flush ( just make sure not to clean your dentures & loo at the same time!!!!
  • sce37sce37 Forumite
    130 Posts
    As there are so many uses for white vinegar and bicarb of soda is there anywhere that I can buy it in larger quantities that are more economical. I am forever raiding the local supermarket of their Sarsons and the small tubs of bicarb.
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    makro costco bookers any cash and carry sell vinegar in 5 liter bottles

or ask your chippy to get you one

;D
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    cleaning car today and there were spots of tar on it and on the wheel trims so I put some bicarb on a damp cloth and it came right off

also to stop your windscreen freezing in the winter

spray with a mix of vinegar and water 1 vinegar 3 water

and leave

it wont freeze

thought id add that while I remember it
  • minimini Forumite
    833 Posts
    Apologies if this has already been posted something I saw on how clean is your house, use a small amount of fabric onditioner (if you have any, you may all be vinegar converts) on a cloth with a small amount of water and wipe your tv screen, monitors (not TFT's I presume, well I haven't dared) It keeps the dust off settling for weeks longer than anything else.