PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curry Night

Options

Comments

• spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They are dozens of base recipes, the two potatoes will make a very starchy curry base.
    They are a few secret ingredients, that curry chefs wont tell you about.
    Try this one :
    Two or three large onions, chop and fry with either cinnamon sticks or one tea spoon of cinnamon powder in canolia oil and a half tea spoon off black peppercorns.
    whilst this is frying, prepare a boiling pan
    use a table spoon of Ginger and garlic paste per portion usually two in this mix.
    One tea spoon of ground corriander
    One tea spoon of tumeric
    Use a mild Curry powder for mixed spice 1 + 1/2 heaped table spoon.
    Use a pint of good quality Chicken stock.
    One tea spoon of ground chillis
    one small potato, a ground of half a carrot.
    One whole star of anise per portion .2 in this mix
    One half tea spoon of Hing (Asafoetida Powder) sold behind counters to curry experts only by spice shops, very secret but very very essential (warning stinks)
    Two tea spoons of canola oil in the boil pan
    stick it all in a big pan, when the onions are very Golden brown almost burned with the cinamon, add a tin of chopped tomatoes stick them in as well and simmer it all for a good hour on low or until it reaches the desired constituency .
    Fish out he star of anise !!!.
    Blend it like it is going out of fashion, pot it up and freeze it using what you need now.

That is the base of one of the major chain restaurants simplified.
    Add it in your curry as the base.
    Prepare for your neighbours to come asking how you can make it,
    Be happy...;)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    One half tea spoon of Hing (Asafoetida Powder) sold behind counters to curry experts only by spice shops, very secret but very very essential (warning stinks)

:rotfl:Or you can buy it in your local supermarket where it is in the rack with all the other spices. ;)

It really does stink though.:eek:
  • evie451
    evie451 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Make sure you guys take a look at CurryQueens base sauce as well it should come up on a forum search it uses a lot of onions but I swear by it too..........I am going to try some of these others as well though, I have seen Asafoetida powder but didnt know what it was used for! oh no not another spice I have a cupboard full of the bloomin things....
    Every Penny's a prisoner :T
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our curry night thread

I have the book the recipes are from in the first post - worth a buy

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• dylan2011
    dylan2011 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all.
    A while a go I found a recipe somewhere on here for curry sauce.
    The idea was a general curry sauce base, like a spice blend, which was blended with tomatoes I think, and possibly stock, then it was kept in the freezer and you could then add extra spices and ingredients to it to make the final curry into a specific type. I think the poster said they had worked in an indian restaurant and this was what the cooks would do? However, I now can't find the recipe for it. Does anybody have it at all? Or know where I can find it?
    Thanks.
    Mum of 2 monkey. 4 yrs and 2 yrs :j
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is few curries where you make a paste - which lasts in the fridge for up to 3 months - and then when cooking you either add it with meat and tinned tomatoes and anthing else to your liking or with cream or coconul milk (for thai curries)...

Could it be that?

Or add tomatoes to it to start off and then freeze it and just add it to the meat when cooking... I think it would be the same thing, only making a paste will take up less space then..
  • dylan2011
    Options
    It may well be. Do you by any chance have a link to the details? Thanks for your help. :)
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • fairtrade
    fairtrade Posts: 476 Forumite
    Options
    It may not be the one you have previously seen, but here is a recipe:
    http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/basic-curry-sauce
    For myself I am an optimist - there does not seem to be much use being anything else.
    Sir Winston Churchill
  • dylan2011
    Options
    Thank you, that one looks great as well. I will be using that, and I have found the one I originally saw now as well - it is by Curry Queen -
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=100759&highlight=curry+queen
    Was on the recipes thread, but wasn't in the place I thought it would be. xx
    Starting again...
    July GC £65/£200
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use this one for red thai curry (cooking with this paste is extremely easy, also the paste is easy - I know it looks like a lot of ingredients, but I chuck it in a food processor and that is it)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/thaistyleduckredcurr_85145
    Then I bang couple of spoons of it in a pan with coconut milk, add any kind of meat/fish and veggie and finish tasting with more fish sauce and chillies if needed. Job done.

I've never tried this one, but it looks the same principle
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/how_to_make_curry_paste_37065
    Not a chance it only lasts a week in the fridge thoug...If you put it in a jar with a tight lid it will last a lot longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure