PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Curry Night

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Kantankrus Mare,

It's just normal red food colouring. I don't bother with it usually as it doesn't add anything to the flavour of the tikka masala.

Pink
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    I guess I should read from the beginning for my answer but Im now at the cooling down of the green gunk stage before I whizz it.

I'm a bit confused though.

I want to use half to make the curry tomorrow and freeze the rest.

Stage three? Do i half the ingredients in basic curry sauce mixture ( tomatoes , turmeric, paprika etc?

If I am only using half onion mixture I wouldnt use all stage three ingredients would I?

don't know if Im making any sense :cool:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Ah..... seems I can freeze it after stage three so I think that will be easier.

(Hope this turns out ok)
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Pleased you bumphed it aurura as i had it lurking amongst my subscribed threads always meaning to try it. :rolleyes:

You know what its like.

Friday night is curry night in our house and I always buy Chicken Jalfrezi from Asda which we love but at £7 for a meal for two it certainly increases the weekly shop and Im sure if I could perfect making curry it would work out cheaper.

Tried a recipe out of one of my cook books and it was a disaster so kind of gave up on the idea.

Ok so now its on my new years resolution list and I WILL give it a go.

Oh my god..........just found this when looking through the thread!! :rotfl:2008!!!

We progressed to "proper" indian takeaway from our fave restaurant costing us about £16 a week :eek:

Well I finally got round to it.

Will be back with verdict in a few days.
    x
  • ebayqueen_2
    ebayqueen_2 Posts: 1,175 Forumite
    Options
    hi there
    thanks so much ... was looking for a recipe for Naan bread as its my husbands fav ... will give it a go at the weekend.
    have recently started cooking my own pizzas instead of buying them. Have dough frozen in batches now and its pizza for tea tonight.

love this site and you very helpful and friendly people :)
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" :) C. S. Lewis
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    Well I made the chicken tikka masala which turned out good but still no quite what we get from the local indian,

OH loved it and even kids ate it which is great as they never normally touch Indian food.

Pilau rice was excellent though and I will definitely be making it again.

Froze lots of sauce mixture and will have a go at jalfrezi next ,
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I have now tried the Curry Queens Chicken Korma and Tikka Masala... they have been a HUGE hit in our house! I am trying the Murgh Makhani (Butter Chicken) next, then the Bhuna Curry!

The base was easy to make, and when using leftover chicken making each curry takes no time at all! Perfect x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • artichoke
    artichoke Posts: 1,724 Forumite
    Options
    well a poster on here introduced me to the

http://www.spicebox.co.uk/curry-mixes/

and i am hooked :o

I order a lot of mixes at a time and they keep in the freezer...

i then batch cook up a lot of one mix and eat one and freeze the rest

I made a dhansak last week from one mix from this site - it was eaten by 4 hungry adults and i put 3 meal portions in the freezer...

so it is wonderful value and tastes really great - much better than jars...

i seem to do an order with them every few months as we have a curry night once a week ..

art
  • BakerBoy
    BakerBoy Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been using The Curry Secret book for about 7 years now and I no longer follow any of the recipes after I've made the basic sauce to freeze. I just freestyle these days using whatever spices I've got, and I always use peeled plum tomatoes (30p ish a tin) and whizz them, as I hate tinned toms with the skins on. Garlic, ginger & chilli go in chopped after I have sealed the meat and then cooked the spices in oil. Cheapest cuts work best for me as I always make my curries the day before. I will admit that I had a disaster in January having used some very lean stewing venison and once the curry was cooked it was completely tasteless - we were dumbstruck as we'd used loads of spices. I can only guess it was too lean. My favourite curry at the moment is lamb with finely chopped spinach (bought frozen) and halved fresh tomatoes placed face-up before cooking for three hours.

If I cook chicken tikka (or pheasant in season) I don't bother with food coloring, a tablespoon of tomato puree does the job.

If I want a curry and haven't planned it I just whizz some onion with the tinned toms and this works as a quick curry base.

Just found this thread so haven't read all the wisdom, am very much looking forward to seeing how others reach curry perfection.
  • Cosmopolitan
    Options
    Can anybody tell me roughly how many onions are in a KG?

Am planning on making curry later (or maybe at the weekend) using the recipe in Curry Queen's Curry Night thread which calls for a kg of onions.

Obviously it will depend on the size of the onions but has anyone got a rough estimate for me.

Many Thanks :beer:
    :starmod:Cosmopolitan:starmod:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills