PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Curry Night

Options

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If my dad were still alive, I just know that his answer would be "1, if it is big enough:rotfl::rotfl:" He could be so helpful:D

About thirty years ago my grandfather gave me an onion he'd grown that was about the size of a bowling ball:D. That would probably have fitted the bill.:)

We made cheese and onion quiches:D. Lots of them.:rotfl:
  • Cosmopolitan
    Options
    If my dad were still alive, I just know that his answer would be "1, if it is big enough:rotfl::rotfl:" He could be so helpful:D

Hahah:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Thats why I did mention in my original post that I knew it would depend on the size!!! :):)

Am off to the Asian supermarket for spices and stuff tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed this tastes good, should do, my cooking skills aren't too bad!
    :starmod:Cosmopolitan:starmod:

• foxy-tigger
    Options
    Am off to the Asian supermarket for spices and stuff tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed this tastes good, should do, my cooking skills aren't too bad![/QUOTE]

How was your curry??! Also Mr Morrrrrisoooons does frozen garlic for 99p and there are soooo many cloves in there its unreal!! I also use the lazy garlic or ginger for my curries from Mr M's or Mr T's All the time. I find they are great for sauces but not if you are needing a bit if bite for curries or Chinese stir fries etc?? ;)
  • Cosmopolitan
    Options
    Am off to the Asian supermarket for spices and stuff tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed this tastes good, should do, my cooking skills aren't too bad!

How was your curry??! Also Mr Morrrrrisoooons does frozen garlic for 99p and there are soooo many cloves in there its unreal!! I also use the lazy garlic or ginger for my curries from Mr M's or Mr T's All the time. I find they are great for sauces but not if you are needing a bit if bite for curries or Chinese stir fries etc?? ;)[/QUOTE]

TBH it was a complete disaster.:mad:
    Making the base sauce STINKS, now I had read that this was pretty stinky before I started but it was worse than I had imagined.
    I couldn't get the sauce to thicken up at all, was very runny even after a lot of boiling/simmering.
    Then I tried to make Korma, it was very runny (though I did use coconut milk rather than cream - not sure how much difference that would have made) It sort of looked the right colour for korma, could see a lot of oil on the top though. Sort of tasted a bit like korma even though runny. I thought it had a lemony sort of taste to it but my mum thought it tasted ok.
    And to top it all off, the saucepan which I used to boil the onions in still stank the next day after going through the dishwasher but that was solved with some trusty bicarb!
    :starmod:Cosmopolitan:starmod:

• computerfixer
    computerfixer Posts: 95 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2011 at 4:04AM
    Options
    Hi,

Love my curries and am going to try Curry Queens sauce, sounds great to have in bulk to just modify to adapt to the recipe -

Hopefully if Curry Queen approves, one of us may be able to adjust this to be made from the basic recipe -

Here is my contribution - Had my best mate (and biggest critic) who loves my curries say this was the best he ever tasted !

BEEF Do-Piazza

From the punjab - a medium spiced dish - i found it a little hot, thou gh i like it that way - though i think i did add a litle extra to the measurements below :)

INGREDIENTS

400g - about a pound - topside, chuck steak ( i used stewing steak) same stuff pretty much
    63ml veg ghee or oil
    100g of onion finely chopped
    12g fresh ginger grated
    1 clove garlic grated ( i used 3-4) :)
    3 tsp medium curry powder ( I used in place a mild curry powder and added extra tsp cumin and tsp corriander and tsp turmeric)( is nice to have fennel and/ fenugreek etc in powders - saves buying separately)
    125ml natural youghurt ( could replace wih creme-frais or cream - whatever you have to mellow it ( I forgot - but since we both like it quite hot it was great without it, taste it yourself - maybee split into 2portions and have on bit hot and othe with half the yooghurt etc and see what balance u like)
    julienne of lemon rind
    onions cut into rings
    ( I also added WHOLE mushrooms to this near end, keps whole so they didnt shrink too much (mate now says he will never cut a mushroom ever again !!)

METHOD

fry beef till browned
    add onions untill lightly browned
    add giner, garlic acnd curry powder, fry for 5 min
    remove from head add yoghurt(if using - if ceme, leave till later and add near end or may split) and juice of lemon
    simmer for a good hour to 1 1/2 and keep ading a little stock at a time to keep it from being too thick and sticking
    fry off the onion rings and add ( i used red onion for this )
    serve with basmatti rice and garlic and corriander ( or plain if preffered) nan and the julienne of lemon to garnish with some coriander if to hand.

Long post now, hope someone finds use of it, I always find its all about adding layers and depth/ richness to a recipe so you get little hints of flavouring from the herbs, spices etc, in a way that you cant quite tell every single ingredient but just have an idea what may be there to make it soooo good.

Anyway hope you enjoy and let me know what you think

PS - Had originally put this as a 'quick' LMFAO reply to someone looking for a beef stew recipe here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3604765
    quickly done that then added a stifado recipe which is real nice and the one on here, hopefully you like this and the ones on there, if u try it and like it then let me know how u get on :)

All the best food lovers x

To make any of above a little more MSE - try some ox heart, is really tasty, slightly shewy if not cooked slowly, but full off goodness and is really meaty and is a good bit of cheaper meat :)
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

can anyone tell me how to make chicken curry with that brown colour like you get in an indian restaurant ..mine always turns out pale

cheers
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

can anyone tell me how to make chicken curry with that brown colour like you get in an indian restaurant ..mine always turns out pale

cheers

My HM curry gets it's colour from the spices and the tomato sauce base. Why don't you post your recipe so we can advise?
  • WaxiesDargle
    WaxiesDargle Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2012 at 5:33PM
    Options
    thanks for your reply

this recipe does not use a tomato base (ie tin of tomatoes) although I have used it in the past

chicken
    onions
    green chilli
    cumin
    tumeric
    coriander leaf
    garlic
    garam masala
    tom puree
    double cream
  • fester
    fester Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Some Indian restaurants tend to use food colouring. Tut tut.

My mild chicken curry dishes also tend to look a funny colour as well,

I use creme fraiche instead of yoghurt these day - so at least it never has a chance to curdle - which makes it look much worse. :D
  • mumonashoestring
    Options
    My favourite curry recipe is:

About 300g chopped chicken or pork
    A double handful of mushrooms chopped into fairly large chunks
    One large onion, finely chopped
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tsp garam masala
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp chopped chilli
    1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
    1 tbsp oil
    Splash of water
    Tin of coconut milk

Soften the onions in the oil, then add the meat and turn the heat up to seal the outside of the meat. Add the chopped mushrooms and let them start to soften while you mix the garlic, tomato puree and spices together and add just enough of a splash of water to make it pourable without being runny - shouldn't need more than a tablespoon.

Pour the spice mix in with the meat and mushrooms and stir, then allow to cook for a few minutes until the spice mix is coating everything. Pour in the coconut milk and simmer for at least 30 minutes :)
    If you lend someone £20 and never see them again, it was probably £20 well spent...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure