PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

50p a day til Christmas - healthily?! Weezl's next challenge...

Options

Comments

• zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    does anyone have a houmous recipe please?
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    zarazara wrote: »
    does anyone have a houmous recipe please?
    there are links to a couple on here
    Cheryl
  • cw18
    Options
    well, my potato bread has gone into the oven about 10 mins ago. first time I've ever made bread by hand (I have a little-used machine) other than a not totally successful attempt at bagels many years ago.

was worried it wasn't rising properly, but when I went to knead it again the texture had definitely changed -- and it certainly seemed larger in the tins when I put them in the oven compared to when I put the dough into the tins :)

hubby came into the kitchen while the spuds were boiling and asked 'are you cooking again?' -- which seemed a daft question to me :rolleyes: when I said 'yes' he asked what......

wasn't sure what he'd make of the idea of potato in a bread mix, but I think he's going to be prepared to give this one a try :) the boys won't know it's in there and both love bread from my machine, so can see both of them attacking this one tomorrow too!!!! if the boys like it, I don't think there'll be any left by this time tomorrow :o

Oh! And even the potato skins weren't wasted..... as I started to peel them back from the cooked potatoes I gained company in the kitchen -- and the larger dog has had his supper :rotfl:
    Cheryl
  • growingafamily
    Options
    Wow Weezl, what an inspiration you are! I have read much of your previous challenge without imput and am keeping tabs on this one - well done you :money: Can I ask - what is your hm bread recipe please? Sorry I'm sure you must have posted it but if you could point me in the right direction please :o

Nutritional info - I'm a sucker for this, I love love love your info it is so interesting! I made some muffins earlier could you please find out the nutritional doo dah for me please? makes about 10-12 big muffins

100g plain flour
    100g plain wholemeal flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    3/4 tsp bicarb of soda
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp ginger
    1/2 tsp salt
    175ml veg oil
    75g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    125g carrots
    225g pineapple
    100g raisins

Thanks in advance! :T

Those muffins sound great, any chance of times and temps for cooking ?? Thanks
  • Sian_the_Green
    Sian_the_Green Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Options
    :D Best Welsh word ever...
    cwtch = cuddle (pronouced kutch)
    God is good, all the time
    Do something that scares you every day
  • cw18
    Options
    potato bread - didn't rise as much as I'd expected. it seems to be cooked right through, but certainly doesn't give a tall enough slice to toast or even make a sandwich with :( (ETA: I didn't expect it to be as tall as a standard bought loaf, but it didn't rise as much as the Weetabix bread/cake does -- I've made that one for years)

came out of the oven as younger son (almost 17) was about to go to bed, and he insisted I cut into one immediately. he looked at it and kept asking what was in it as it didn't look 'normal', but I just insisted that was down to the fact I'd done it all by hand :rolleyes:

so he took a couple of 'slices' (more like chunks!), applied the marge, and wandered off chomping on it. no complaints or retching noises, so unless hubby opens his mouth about the potato I don't think the lad'll spot it ;)

anyone know if the recipe can be adapted for a bread machine? would it work if I set it up like I would a normal loaf, but included the potato in the flour 'layer'?
    (my machine will do a large loaf, and I normally do a 2lb-2.5lb in it. ETA: Just checked the machine, and the settings on it are for 2.5 or 3lb !!)
    Cheryl
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    When I moved here 14 odd years ago I told a friend she needed her passpost when she came to see me. She arrived, with passport & commented that she hadnt needed it stamped or shown & the guard laughed when she asked if he needed to see it with her ticket...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    That's great. I think I shall use that one sometime :T.
    Acetate Monkey (Just realised I'm not logged in as me!)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Cw18, Sian the Green and growingafamily,
    Amazed that so many people are up this early/late! Glad the potato bread went down well (literally) Cw18.
    Acetate Monkey (still doing guerilla posting)

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • boredofbeingathome
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hiya Penny penguin, well spotted! It's not fresh, but it's there, everyday, since I did a bit of research on the '5 a day' The first few weeks of the last challenge I was a bit lax!

The liver casserole has 1 portion each of onion, 2 of tomato and 1 of spring greens in it. The houmous sandwich has my pulse allowance of one of the 5 (but I don't think I have enough to get a whole portion. only 20g for me) Foraged rocket 50g in my sarnie for another half and I'm there, (by the skin of my teeth!) I should really have the jammy pud, but I'm stuffed!

Mr weezl's pasta is a 4 veg portion (onions and tomato) and the jam/compote in the sponge gave the full 80g portion (you should see the size of his pudding!).

Other folk have suggested I up it to 9 portions a day, but from my reading, it seems wiser to make sure all the colours feature. (though today I notice we've both only managed 4 colours! D'OH ;).

Erm, hope that's what you meant? Ask again if in my sleepiness I'm bein a bit twp (welsh for dim!).

Hope the race went well :T:T

Love Weezl x

ps edited to say, I think if you're not growing a few things, this new budget might not fit the 5 a day! I'll have a ponder... BOB are you doin ok for veg?

I have loads of veg thanks:T We have a market always flogging off cheap stuff:D And i can say i would love to freeze my bananas, but they all get eaten or stuck on cereal before i can blink...got two humungous bags of bananas for 50p on saturday at the end of the market..yes i am the sad woman who is on our market lurking at the end of the day...
    I usually try and water the milk down..and have frozen quite a bit. Our best friend used to be the milkman, but now is a postie..so totally rubbish for getting free milk off..must find another source:rotfl:
    Also been buying up cheap veg from Aldi although has now gone to 69p and doesn't seem as much..we have loads of broccoli and carrots and peppers in freezer. I also bulk buy and chop onions and mushrooms..have lots of raspberries and parsnips to use up.Also found two bags of windfall apples from last year..so i can feel a mega cooking session coming on.:D
    so tomorrow i need to spend on a cauliflour, and another butternut squash and some milk...as i have also got loads of meat..did i mention that?:rotfl:

and not a snail in sight......................:rotfl:

oo and i forgot turnips.......can't forget those!
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • cw18
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Hello Cw18, Sian the Green and growingafamily,
    Amazed that so many people are up this early/late!
    just on my way to bed -- was trying to get through another few pages of posts on the last challenge first :rolleyes: (I'm set to 40 posts/page, so thats another 8 pages/320 posts read today -- started at 1081 and am now up to 1401 - and only another 8 pages to go so I may finish it tomorrow :) )

Just been reading on there about using soya mince mixed in with normal -- I picked up some dried soya in MrT today (unseen by son, who had returned to car to read a book while I finished the shopping), but I'm not sure what kind of ratio to use initially in the hope the blokes don't spot it this time :confused: I've done 50/50 before, and they picked up on it in their first mouthful every meal I included it in :(

I tend to use the cheapy 'value' mince unless I find a really good "whoopsie", using 125g mince per person for a chille or spag bol. If I'm doing mince and mash I might increase that to 150g each (sometimes as much as 500g for 3 of us, depending how much I have in the freezer) as it doesn't get padded out with quite so many other additions......
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport