Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• danlojo
    danlojo Posts: 564 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2012 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Thought I'd share my current experience with you.....Just prior to the end of our 2 years with Calor (been with them 10 yrs plus) who invited renewal and increasing the price to 53.5p + vat. Obviously a huge incentive to shop around which I told them I was going to do.

They are now offering 43p, fixed for 12 months, £200 credit, and charge our last delivery (798litres) at this price, originally billed at 50p. I'm sure they will invoke the maximum 3.5p in 3mth rise clause at every opportunity during the second 12 months, but it seems like a decent offer.

Used your offer to barter Trickmeister:D

Offer for me now from Calor

43ppl fixed for 12 months
    gas credit of £200
    Standing charge 16.9pp day - £61.69 per annum

Capping clause of no more than 3.5ppl in any 3 month period

I use around 900 - 1000 litres per year tops

GOOD OFFER??? :cool:
    Life is a rollercoaster.....ya just gotta ride it:whistle:
  • DAVID.T_3
    DAVID.T_3 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    DCC (flogas) purchase BP !!
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 August 2012 at 3:35PM
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »

Thanks for the unwelcome news, DAVID. T!

On the DCC website it claims Flogas has approx 19% of UK LPG market - and from the press release BP's LPG business sells just under half the tonnage of Flogas (see here and here).

So Flogas + BP = 28 - 29%.

What will be the figures for the UK LPG 'market' if this goes through? Calor %? Avanti %? Independents %?

Surely it will be referred to the Competition Commission? On that first link DCC states:
    Unlike the oil distribution market, which remains highly fragmented, the LPG market in both Britain and Ireland is relatively consolidated.
    which maybe will disappear from the website!

And will Flogas now go on to mop up the larger independents - just like its parent, DCC, has with independent heating oil companies?

Your views please, DAVID.T!

PS Quote from BP (e.g. here):
    BP chief operating officer, refining and marketing, Tufan Erginbilgic, said: "We believe DCC will be able to build on the good portfolio and business we have developed and grow the business further in the best interests of its customers and other stakeholders."
    (my bold!)

Maybe we should send Tufan a complimentary subscription to this forum?
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Regarding Badger04's contribution to the forum, so far no reply - is there a rat to be smelt perhaps in view of the impossibly low price offered by a potentially non-existent supplier? Answers please!
  • Rhino666
    Rhino666 Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some amazing stuff happened to the LPG price this year. According to the ANSI chart, price dropped from around 40ppl early this year to just over 20ppl last month. This price not seen since 2009. Beware however as the price has started to climb again - now heading straight towards 30ppl.

I ordered LPG through Mole Valley Farmers(framtrade) who buy from Calor on 1st august. IIRC Price quoted was 46.5ppl when I checked in late June but down to 35.6ppl when I called on 1st August - I rang twice to check and then ordered straight away. LPG delivered on Saturday.
    PLEASE DO NOT STEAL
    The Government will not tolerate competition

Always judge a man by the way he treats someone who is of no use to him
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    edited 8 August 2012 at 11:13PM
    Options
    Regarding Badger04's contribution to the forum, so far no reply - is there a rat to be smelt perhaps in view of the impossibly low price offered by a potentially non-existent supplier? Answers please!

I don't see a problem. LIMA doesn't seem to belong to UKLPG.

from http://www.agregister.co.uk/gb-company-9065405.html
    Lima LPG Fuels

Company Overview

We supply LPG for commercial, domestic and automotive use. We can take over your existing LPG tanks or supply new.

company_details_contact_paperclip.gifContact Details

Address: Unit F West Quay Trading Estate , Southampton, SO15 1GZ, UK
    Telephone: (023) 8023 2485
    Fax: (023) 8063 0371
    So, many thanks to Badger04 (here) for this:
    LIMA have offered 38p/litre, not fixed with first delivery at 30p/litre if taken during summer months.
    It's not too hard to be aware of Calor, Flogas, the ghostly BP, and Avanti! BUT, just maybe, they won't give you the best deal OVER TWO YEARS!
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DAVID.T wrote: »

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Will BP be subsumed entirely into "Flogas", or will it continue to trade as an entirely different and "independent" DCC brand?

Will Mr. Average Consumer then fall for the favourite DCC smoke and mirrors trick and invite Flogas and LPG-supplier-that-was-BP to quote for supply, believing that they are receiving quotations from two different suppliers in an open and competitive market?

Will the OFT/CC allow this sale to go through unchallenged and unquestioned?

So many questions; So many unknowns!
  • DAVID.T_3
    DAVID.T_3 Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options

And will Flogas now go on to mop up the larger independents - just like its parent, DCC, has with independent heating oil companies?

Your views please, DAVID.T!

Flogas and Calor will continue to buy up independents as they have done for the last 40 years, but new independents will appear and the cycle starts all over again. I would be more worried about the supply further up the chain with gas compaines purchasing refineries.
  • Ace_gas_guzzler
    Options
    Well, in that case it looks like I owe an apology for doubting Badger04's post! Moving to Southampton is not an option though.......
  • Badger04
    Badger04 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry for not replying to points raised but was away. A good way to check out what you can get in terms of price is LPG Compare. They will shop around for a price for you.
    I have checked out AVANTI who offered 47.9ppl but with no other sweeteners. Finally went with CALOR at 44ppl fixed for 12 months and £150 credit. This forum is great in that its the only place I know where we can all get up to date info. Having seen the price of oil move up, my own feeling is that now is a pretty good time to fix.
    If anyone has access to Platts or or Argus North Sea index we could then over time work out the margins that Calor etc work to. They at the moment have all the cards unless we work together.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback