PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mummygems
    mummygems Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Angelnikki for doing this and adding the recipes (I know I always look for at least one of those).

I have already started July we go 20 June until 20 July. I have so far spent £180 but this includes things for the entire month and party foods/drink as we are hosting 2 parties in July so I shouldnt need to pick up too much more shopping.

I went to my local Mr A today and we didnt have ANYTHING that was 50p? Is the 50p offer Countrywide?

Good luck everyone and welcome to the newbies (well newer than me anyways lol).
    2 adults and 3 children DD (14), DD (12) & DS (10) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles.
    Paying off debt bit by bit
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've updated my signature and declared on June's thread.
    Thanks to everyone who posted all the great hints, tips and recipes:T
    Couldn't have done it without you
    Perrywinkle
  • cherie1122
    cherie1122 Posts: 489 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Count me in again - I'm well and truly addicted. I haven't finished June yet but I'm well inside my guess for the month.

Noting down everything I spent has made me think twice about getting my purse out. I have been taking home made sandwiches and yogurt for lunch at work and I've still got money left in my bank account (unusual for this part of the month)

I guessed at £350 for June and that was too generous so I'm going for £250 in July. This includes cat food (we have five cats) and takeaways at weekends.

I've got my spending noted on an Excel spreadsheet in 4 columns: food, eating out, pet food and "other" (other includes things like petrol, clothes and my new glasses). It's easy to add up and see where the money has gone.

I'm going to be very careful in July. I work in a town with loads of lovely shops so it's difficult to avoid spending money but am giving myself a chore to do every day e.g. taking a blouse back to BHS or going to our Health Centre for my repeat prescription so I don't go spending money.

Have fun with the July GC everyone - I know I will. :T
  • fertyskids
    fertyskids Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

i'm glad to be starting in July. im excited and a little apprehensive...

i have 2 adults, i teenage boy, 3yr old girl and a baby to feed and they all eat huge quantities!!

also for 4 nghts 4 teenagers, then for 2 weeks 2 teenagers. Both 3 meals a day to include packed lunches. I'm not sure of the budget for this. i would normally spend about £400 a month and that would be without the students. i think ill try £500 but will definatelty try to come in under.

im very proud of myself i spent £84 last night in Mr A's, on stocking up. £9 today on reduced food.

also i made homemade bread for the first time in 18mnths and it came out lovely, never used to and hubby and son complained so much i had to stop.. i also made 2 quiches for the first time ever...family loved them!! i made biscuits and a large cake and 24 small cakes for the party tommorow. whilst doing all that i even made a veggie soup in the slow cooker, again ive never made that before. i just chucked in all the veg i could find with some potatoes and stock. i even figured out that i could thicken it with flour. normally i eat very badly as i cook a meat dish for the family then eat crisps and biscuits or lots of toast as im too knackered to make myself a separate meal as im a veggie. i hope that this soup will make at least two portions. so im chuffed.

most of these were ideas from here. it will all help i know.

just one thing, yesterday i asked for ideas to feed the baby, he's on jars again. it costs me a fortune. today i tried tiny lumps of chopped up food (chicken and veggies) but he spat them out after gagging on them. he cannot chew them as he only has one tooth at the front. he really wants what we are eating and is really frustrated at pureed/mashed food. hes spitting them at me. we've started several distraction techniques just to get him to eat. sorry to ask this has anyone got any more ideas. the only thing he will eat it spag bol. overcooked very soft pasta, tinned tomatoes and quorn mince. i will really appreciate any ideas.

A big thanks to "saving for travel" who posted today some great ideas for when i next go shopping.

also how do i get that thing at the bottom of the posts everyone has?

sorry to be asking again
    good luck everyone...

karen
  • angelnikki
    angelnikki Posts: 892 Forumite
    Options
    Hi fertyskids :hello:

To add a signature look at the top right of the page near where the log out button is you will see where it says Quick Links, click on that and then click on Edit Signature. HTH

EDIT: I read somewhere that it can take up to 20!! times of offering something new before a baby will accept a new taste which can be very frustrating sometimes. When my DS was 1 he went off most foods apart from finger foods. I think most babies of that age start to get a bit fussy because they want to be more independent. Do you give him his own spoon? Have you tried giving him the blended meal with some breadsticks (My no salt recipe link on the first page) or toast fingers to dunk in it. Also how much milk are you giving and how often as this can usually stop them wanting to eat if they get too much milk.

It can take a while for babies that are fed jars to get used to real food that actually tastes of something. It took about two/three months before my DS was properly weaned off jars and now he eats exactly the same as us. So dont worry it might take a while, and dont distract him to get him to eat, just give him soft stuff that he can chew and suck on like toast/ bananas while he gets used to chewing.

My DS is 21 months and I'm still giving him very finely chopped meat as he is still a bit of a lazy eater and doesnt like to chew too much but he's getting better.

Nikki
    x
    :A
  • dsljfreeman
    dsljfreeman Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options

My other source of info is Bernadine Lawrence’s How to Feed your Family for £5 a Day.

Sounds like a great book, just looked on Ebay and there is one selling for £2.99 finishing in 6 days, thanks for the tip xx
    :j Bankrupt 6th October 2009 :j
    :beer: To a Debt-free Future :beer:
  • fertyskids
    Options
    Hi Nikki,

yes we give him a spoon and a little bowl. sometimes this helps. again weve tried breadsticks whiced he loves but screams at you if you take them out of his mouth to put food in. he has milk in the morning 4/5 oz and again before bed 3/4 oz. i dont give it to him during the day as i made that mistake with my eldest - who still loves milk!

i know that this too will pass.. as they say. its just as frustrating for us as it is for him. this morning after 4 spoons of weetabix (he normally will eat a whole one) i just took him out of his highchair and decided he might be more interested at lunchtime and hungry too hopefully. at 11.30, 4hrs after breakfast he was screaming to be fed but started spitting mashed casserole after 2 spoons. hubby ended up giving him spag bol jar- he finished and then has 2 yogs. all the time he was playing and happily eating.. little so and so.
    i know i will probably just have to persevere. its just exhausting.

about this signiture thing i'll give it a go. thanks so much

karen
  • clu
    clu Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    im going to be watching this and hope to join in next month.. fertykids not sure about your lo but my dd is 8 months and her most recent favourite foods are minestrone soup which has pasta in (and she has no teeth) and a turnip, pear, carrot and potato recipe. what kind of things are you looking for?
  • funkyfunkymonkey
    Options
    I wasn't going to go shopping tomorrow, but having read this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1000503 I think I might go and see if there are any bargains to be had. It all ends tomorrow, so can't wait until next week.

I'll go on my bike so that I don't waste any fuel if there's no bargains at my local Mr T or Mr S.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • fertyskids
    Options
    Hi clu,

anything other than spag bol. preferably with some veg in it.

the soup sounds good do you have the receipe?

thanks

karen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family