July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.5K views

Replies

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, hope you're all having a good weekend - weathers only good for sitting around in, it's soooo muggy here, not clearing the garage like we're about to do....:confused:

IOIWE - So sorry to hear about your job situation - I'm sure with your personality you will get something in no time, and at least you have a month to sort it all out. Good luck. :grouphug:

MummaF - definitely looked at the choccy pancakes - forgot to [strike]have a go at you[/strike] :naughty: thank you for showing us - soooo many calories :rolleyes:

AngelNikki - Thanks for the up on the Viennese whirls and other stuff - tried that recipe but made it much too runny as they went like biscuits and tasted nasty (dogs liked them though! :D ) will give them another go but with less fluids I think.

Amethystcash - Well done on your budget, :T but I wouldn't beat yourself up about the wine and beer - you have to have some luxuries if you can or what's the point of going to work? We try to get out as a family at the weekend whenever we can (separate budget) or we would go mad I think - it does you good to relax, however you do it.

Talking of which, I saw on one of these money programmes ages ago with one lady who used to spend LOADS on makeup and stuff, and had to cut back, so she had a few friends around and they had a 'make your own' party - they brought some wine and they made their own face cleansers, masks, etc from natural stuff - saved an absolute fortune and had fun at the same time! Love cheap and money saving ideas me! :rotfl:

Right, budget time. I have finally worked everything out and will now have an August budget of £80 a week (4 weeks to run, so total £320 for month). This is going to be split into £60pw on just groceries/household stuff and £20 for everything else - prescriptions, gifts, [strike]snacks [/strike](not going to have those :whistle: ) etc. I think this is more realistic than trying to do everything on £65, and any left over at the end of the week is going to be paid straight off our cards as we are not using them at all, so this will bring those down. Thanks again to Kaz and Nikki for your help on this.

Had to break into it today and spent 89p on fly spray (driving me MAAAAD!:mad: ) and :eek: £7.10 :eek: on my prescription, plus got to get another one Tuesday, so already £14.20 out of this weeks extras budget - still I do have to breathe, it helps with the staying alive part! :rotfl:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks folks :)

it's nice to know i can talk you you guys about it

well so far i have sorted out my CV and been looking at a few jobsites, am getting my dad to proof my CV before i apply for anything, have eaten breakfast and am trying to decide what to have for lunch

OH is watching TV in the bedroom while he decides what to wear later (he take twice as long as i do to get ready)

cya l8a alligata's

ioiwe x
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks folks :)

it's nice to know i can talk you you guys about it

well so far i have sorted out my CV and been looking at a few jobsites, am getting my dad to proof my CV before i apply for anything.
    ioiwe x

Oooh, just a very quick one - have you tried the Job centre website - quite good - www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk HTH x
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i had a quick look, am planning on going into our local one (need to find out where it is) on monday cos then if i can't get sthg (please god let me get sthg) i'll be able to sign on and get some help with the rent etc etc,
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hey guys

have just woke up again and will not be doing anything today,,, I hate this weather lets have a bit of cool again

MrsBartolozzi I read your post wrong and it made me laugh I thought you had spent 4 weeks in the shop of the same name ,,,,, I think it was because I was longing for a cool day

ioiwe Sorry about the job situation ,, take care

denise my OH gets 12 items on his prescription,, I used to pay for the quarterly prescription prepayment it was about £30 approx but just think what it would have been every month over £85 a month

see ya later

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not been on for a few days but think we are doing OK. At the end of the first week I actually put some money to savings off the £300 per week allocated for non-bills expenss (mainly food and diesel).

We've been doing pretty well so far on the grocery challenge, with only one real problem - alcohol! Can't seem to get away from beer and wine with the takeaway on Friday nights. Need to try harder but its too nice to chill out over the weekend with a glass of wine or bottle of beer!!

Progress so far... weekly target is £70.

Last week's total = £97.21, included DHs birthday dinner and washing powder and stationery.
    This week's total so far = £37.20 (£21.80 on alcohol!), but the week's main shop isn't done till Sunday.

One thing I was wondering, how do people account for cash expenditure. Do you still include it in the grocery budget or not. DH withdrew £60 when he got paid (15/7) and that's gone on takeaways and trips to the bakers for lunch and it doesn't seem quite right not to include these in the total grocery spend. What does everyone think?
    I include everything that is spent on grocery, toiletries, pet, baby in GC total, normally always deal in cash, but would include it even if spent on card. If DH buys anything grocery wise then I reimburse him or his bank account! Any takeaways are also included but meals out (sit-down ones) are from a separate budget. We rarely drink alcohol so its not included. Either include it in GC, or tell him its his treats money, its really up to you.
    HTH
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i had a quick look, am planning on going into our local one (need to find out where it is) on monday cos then if i can't get sthg (please god let me get sthg) i'll be able to sign on and get some help with the rent etc etc,

Just a suggestion but I would ring before you go because I bumped into a friend in town last week and she had taken her son to sign on only to be told that he had to sign on by phone first and they would make him an appt then - she was furious as she had paid a fortune to park the car. You don't want to be wasting fuel either!!
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks jayjay, have been looking where it is and it's easy walking distance from my folks so i can park there when i get in. i saw the number on the website so i'll be up early monday to call them first thing.
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    !!

• mrssnowy_2mrssnowy_2 Forumite
    403 Posts
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    AngelNikki would like to declare July GC at £154.73

(and had 15 NSD!)

Thanks Nikki for good work,great links.

Nice to see you back MRSMc.

Love reading all about all of you, (((hugs))) and kind thoughts to those that need

them.See you next month.

Oh,will try for £180 for August GC,if you wouldn't mind putting me on the

list Nikki.

There goes my £20 cwch blanket,not so much on this month though,so should be

doable.

mrss
    You can't stay young for ever,but you can be immature for the rest of your life.
  • shala_mooshala_moo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JayJay14, IOIWE, My dad went to sign on a few weeks ago to and the only person in the job centre was a security guard who gave him a number to phone when he got back home... IOIWE hope you find something soon, i was out of work for a few months last year, know how you are feeling.

Have just picked my first few leaves from my home grown lettuces and i've noticed they have a bit of green fly. Does anyone know an eco-friendly way to get rid of them, I want to chomp my lettuces not them!!!:mad:

Thanks
    Moo x
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £1,880.73
    Mortgage Neutral Date = original date Dec 2036 now Mar 2021
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides