Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??
    • #1
    • 25th Jun 08, 3:15 PM
    Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? 25th Jun 08 at 3:15 PM
    A few years ago I helped out the FIL who was a Veteran of the RN.

    He had left the RN in 1978 but didn't realise that when he reached 60yrs old he was entitled to claim a Forces Pension. They won't come looking for you, if you don't claim it, you won't get it.

    He is no speedy bullet, but isn't without his faculties either. If he didn't realise, there must be others out there who are unaware of their entitlement too.

    I doubt there are too many people reading this but if you have a relative who served in the forces after 1975 and he is 60yrs old he/she is entitled claim a pension

    Have you served in the military since 1975?
    It is possible that you have earned a preserved pension payable at age 60 for AFPS 75 or 65 if in AFPS 05. Read the following to see if you qualify and follow the links for the application forms if you do.


    There are currently 2 Armed Forces Pension Schemes (AFPS) available to service leavers; AFPS 75 and AFPS 05.
    1. AFPS 75 pension benefits are based on rank and length of Service. All personnel serving between 6 April 1975 and 6 April 2005 will have served under the AFPS 75 scheme.
    2. AFPS 05 pension benefits are based on length of Service and final salary and personnel who joined after 6 April 2005 will be serving under the AFPS 05 scheme. However, personnel serving between July 2005 and March 2006 were given the option to move to the AFPS 05 as part of the Offer to Transfer process.
    There are some fundamental differences between the schemes that cover both retired benefits and dependents benefits. To find out what benefits personnel are entitled to, click on the link below and download the booklets that are applicable to the AFPS that you/your spouse are/were serving under.

    Service Preserved Pensions

    Prior to 06 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the Armed Forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (Officers) or 22 years from age 18 (Other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.

    The rules changed on 06 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be preserved for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 06 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years and the age criterion was dropped. Preserved pensions have to be claimed at age 60 (or at age 65 if your service began after 5 April 2006). However, you can claim your preserved pension sooner if you become permanently incapacitated.


    Service pensions are administered by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA). Pension payments are made by Xafinity Paymaster (1836) Ltd, the paying authority for the Armed Forces pension Schemes (AFPS).
    Contact Details:
    JPAC Enquiry Centre,
    Mail Point 403,
    Kentigern House,
    65 Brown Street,
    G2 8EX

    Freephone 0800 085 3600
    Last edited by CHR15; 26-06-2008 at 12:40 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,398Posts Today

8,551Users online

Martin's Twitter