Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension?? - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Old Boys! Have you claimed your pension??

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
118 replies 247.7K views

Replies

• This all seems a bit over my head at this stage.
    I have read and re-read the thread but was hoping someone could help me calculate what (if anything) I'm entitled to.
    I joined the Army in 1973 and served until 1986.
    I reached the dizzy heights of full corporal.
    I am now 60 years of age.

Hoping someone could help me with this..?

Many thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,,
    Steve.
  • edited 13 September 2016 at 9:51PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 September 2016 at 9:51PM
    Tafflad wrote: »
    This all seems a bit over my head at this stage.
    I have read and re-read the thread but was hoping someone could help me calculate what (if anything) I'm entitled to.
    I joined the Army in 1973 and served until 1986.
    I reached the dizzy heights of full corporal.
    I am now 60 years of age.

Hoping someone could help me with this..?

Many thanks in advance.
    Kind regards,,
    Steve.
    You left pre 1988 so 5 years service needed to get a pension, you served around 12 (adult) - box ticked.

So contact :

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600

to claim your pension.
  • I have just applied for my army pension again, the first time I enquired was 41/2 years ago I was told then that I had opted out of the system. I later found out that this was untrue,
    This time I went to see my local MP for help and he wrote to the minister of defence on my behalf. I have just received a reply stating the reason I was refused is due to me not being 26 years old when I left the forces.
    When I was carrying out my duties for queen and country in the bomb disposal etc. I can not recall being told by the ministry of defence not to do that job because your not over 26. So you can serve and die for your country but you can't get a pension.
    Is it worth it?
    Is there anybody out there with the same experience because I personally think that the ministry of defence should be ashamed of themselves in the way they treat some of the veterans that are penalised because of their age.
  • SilvertabbySilvertabby Forumite
    6K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    “ Prior to 6 April 1975 there was no provision for a preservation of pension benefits and service personnel who left the armed forces had to have completed 16 years from age 21 (officers) or 22 years from age 18 (other ranks). Those who left before that date without completing the above criteria, lost all pension entitlement.
    The rules changed on 6 April 1975 to provide for pensions to be deferred for payment at age 60 for all those discharged over the age of 26 with a minimum of 5 years service. On 31 March 1978 the age criterion was dropped and on 6 April 1988, the qualifying period was reduced from 5 to 2 years. Deferred pensions have to be claimed at age 60.

You must have left between 6 April 1975 and 30 March 1978 to have missed out on a pension by being under 26. There are other people out there in a similar situation, and there have been numerous protest groups set up. Sadly, none have been successful.
  • hi everyone, i am new and only this last 10 mins joined the forum. its when i spotted old boys pension!!!. my husband enlisted the royal engineers in 1964.he was dischared in 1985. he had a total service of 21years and 112days. also they was reserve in that. i have this information from his RED BOOK he will be 70 on the 16 dec this year, so could someone kindly give me some idea if he qualifys for this pension? many thanks. lynn
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 28 May 2017 at 3:43PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 May 2017 at 3:43PM
    If he did regular full time service after April 1975 completing in excess of 5 years adult service then he should have been entitled to a preserved pension from age 60. It is only the full time service that counts, reserve generally does not, so when was his discharge from the regulars ?

Veterans UK will have all the records.

Veterans UK
    Pension Division
    Mail Point 480
    Kentigern House
    65 Brown Street
    Glasgow
    G2 8EX

0800 085 3600
  • hi many thanks for your reply. he signed up in 1964 and discharged from the regulars in 1974 as a corperal, so in his red book it says army service 10 years 112 days and reserve service 11 years. thanks. lynn
  • edited 28 May 2017 at 6:57PM
    moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 May 2017 at 6:57PM
    Then I doubt he is entitled to any pension as, before April 1975, 22 years service was required to get a pension. There may be some hope if his reserve service was mobilised but I doubt that likely in the 70s. You could contact Veterans UK for a definite answer.
  • h
    thanks for that. i am going to ring up after the bank holiday. they can either say yes or no!!.lynn
  • Pension

Do I have a claim? I enlisted in the Army May 75, 3 months before my 18th birthday (7/8/75) and served until 6/8/81 the day before my 24th birthday. As I'm approaching 60 this year thought I'd best look into this. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks